Need help today. Updated with completed hearth photo's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baspinall

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2010
S. E. PA
Should have looked into this earlier. i am building my hearth pad for a Regency F2400 tomorrow. The install manual and web site do not list what R value is needed. I am putting the hearth down on a hardwood floor. My plan is 4 sheets Durock, 1/2 " mortar bed with 1/4" ceramic tiles. Think this should be safe but still wanted to know the specs. This should be R 1.16. I also may add a sheet of flashing under the whole thing. Can't get a hold of anyone on the weekends.

TIA for any opinions.

Brian

I don't know the answer myself, but I sent you a PM with the number of the Company that installed my two Regeny products. They were great to deal with and would always get back to me on the weekends to answer any questions that I had.

What part of PA are you in? They are located in the Philly burbs.

Go Phillies!!

Good Luck!

John

You should be fine with what you are planning. The F2400 has a bottom heat shied. When I was burning mine I never saw floor temps above 110 °F under the stove.

Thanks guys. I wish I could find some Micore around here to just add to my sandwich. But no luck on that. I think this plan should be fine (fingers crossed).

Brian

Don't know the R-value but it seems that it should be enough.

Thanks everyone. I will proceed with my plans.

Brian

The hearth protection for this stove is just non-combustible spark protection. One layer of cement board, tiled, would be sufficient, but there's no harm done by increasing the R value. If you change the stove at some point the added protection may be desired. Also, there's no harm in making the hearth larger than the minimums. It's nice to have an oversized hearth.

From the manual:
A combustible floor must be protected by non-combustible material (like tile, concrete board, or certified to UL-1618 or as defined by local codes) extending beneath the heater and a minimum of 6" (152mm) from each side and minimum 16" (406mm) from the front face of the stove and minimum 6" (or the rear clearance to combustibles whichever is smaller) from the rear of the stove.

This seems a bit rushed, tiling is not a one day job. Normally, you let the the thinset set up overnight before grouting. And the grout has a cure time also.

I don't understand the flashing...metal is a heat conducter, so it won't help your "r" value any. Maybe to try to reduce moisture on hardwood floor?

metal is also a heat reflector. If it is placed between two insulator layers it can act like a heat shield. For this stove perhaps it's overkill, but there's no harm in a bit of added protection.

..."I also may add a sheet of flashing under the whole thing."

"If it is placed between two insulator layers it can act like a heat shield"

Agreed, but per OP, he was going to place it on the hardwood, under the insulation.

Good info then. I will place it between sheets of Durock.
I always seem to over engineer. I read certain stoves needing R 2.00 and up and it freaked me out a little, especially not really knowing what or if my stove had an R value.

Thanks again.

baspinall said:
Good info then. I will place it between sheets of Durock.
I always seem to over engineer. I read certain stoves needing R 2.00 and up and it freaked me out a little, especially not really knowing what or if my stove had an R value.

Thanks again.

2!! ha! I laugh at a stove that needs a hearth with an Rvalue of 2! :cheese:

I think you are probably thinking of the flashing as additional fire barrier..? Not needed. 2 Layers of Durock should be more than enough. Don't line up your seems.

EDIT: It's late enough in the day for you to be posting progress reports and pictures..

I will post some pics tomorrow. Don't be laughin at them :)

Well a little later than promised but here are some pictures of the final product.

Brian

Attachments

• DSC_0004_01 [].jpg
    DSC_0004_01 [].jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 384
Very nice indeed, looks like you won't be needing those baseboard heaters any more. What did you use to trim out the hearth?

It's edged in pine that is painted. I am adding a 1/4 inch twisted square bar around the center of the pine when I get a chance. Just to dress it up a tad.

Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

• DSC_0001 [].jpg
    DSC_0001 [].jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0012 [].jpg
    DSC_0012 [].jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC_0037 [].jpg
    DSC_0037 [].jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 305
That's a sharp looking hearth!