Need Help Toubleshooting Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
So last night the stove was happily purring away after starting it in manual mode to take the chill off the upstairs. After things were warming up nicely I went in to check on things before going to bed. I found that the Manual-Off-Auto switch was loose. The stove was firing full blast at this point.

Afraid something was going to short out I moved the switch to Off and then pulled the plug out of the surge protector. Removed the circuit board and repaired the switch and put things back together.

As soon as I plugged it back in the convection fan came on full blast (to cool off the stove I assumed, didn't matter what position the switch was in).

When I got up this morning the stove wouldn't do anything, no lights, nothing.

Don't really have time to troubleshoot until my next day off on Monday (12 hour days suck sometimes).

Looking for some hints on things to check besides the obvious power available, no blown fuse, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

So real quick I just checked that the fuse on the control board was good and the main input fuse is also good, both continuity checked with my meter. Also when the cord is plugged in the FAULT light blinks once and then goes out.

Is there a service manual that may help me out?

Thanks all.

What did you do to "repair" the switch? I'm guessing the switch is now waiting for it to call for heat like if you we're on auto mode. Try connecting the two thermostat spades in the bottom left corner of the board. If they are connected its like running in manual mode.... But that wouldn't explain no power

The metal housing (that contains the slide button) had become disconnected from the body of the switch. I put the switch back together and crimped it a little on the bottom so that it can't come apart again.

Got it figured out. When the switch came apart (3 position slide type switch), the little metal clip inside that makes contact in the different positions came out, so the switch wasn't making electrical contact. Luckily I was able to find the tiny little bugger and put it back together. Of course this time the little detent that keeps the switch in the various positions got lost. Oh well, it is working for now while I look for a replacement switch.

Got it figured out. When the switch came apart (3 position slide type switch), the little metal clip inside that makes contact in the different positions came out, so the switch wasn't making electrical contact. Luckily I was able to find the tiny little bugger and put it back together. Of course this time the little detent that keeps the switch in the various positions got lost. Oh well, it is working for now while I look for a replacement switch.

Great job fixing it. :) Hopefully it won't happen to mine.

I called the nearest Lopi dealer and was told that the switch itself is not replaceable, the entire control board would have to be replaced at $300. Instead I will find a replacement miniature SPDT slide type switch and solder it in myself. Don't want to rely on the current switch as without the detents there is nothing to hold the switch in a given position. It seems to work fine for now, but it is cobbled together and I don't want to rely on it.

Well I e-mailed Travis Industries hoping that they can send me the manufacturers name and part number for the switch itself, hopefully they reply soon.

Wow Scott,

I called the nearest Travis dealer and they quoted me $299 for the control board. If you have a spare you are willing to part with I would greatly appreciate it, let me know how much you are looking to get for it.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.