Need Info on "Earth Stove mp35-50"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jo2fst4u

Dec 4, 2006
Hi ALL this is my first post!! I just picked up a used older Earth stove mp35-50 burns pellet and corn. I dont have the manual for it. I have one on the way soon from Lennox. anyone else have this stove? can you tell me the pro and cons to it? I have never had one. I am in process of cleaning it up and giveing a fresh coat of paint. if any one has the manual I need some info on starting this thing and adjusting it to run .

Thanks for the great site and space to post

Jeff

No self ignition and the double auger system were always turnoffs to me. Also the stove is no longer supported by Lennox, so once their stock of parts runs out finding them may prove difficult. Can't say too much bad about them as I just worked on one today that's run fine for 15 years.

I run a 1994 tp 440. We only burn corn at about 14% moisture. we heat 2200 sq feet with the honywell thermostat at midway through the house. I run the stat at 68% and ran my combustion air inlet under the crawlspace to the far end of the house as a cold air return to a 4x8 floor vent. Ran three inch flex from the stove to the 4x8 and it easily pulls the warm air all the way through the house . woke this morning to 4% outside temp and had a toasty even 74% inside . It is a well built stove we love it . The parts are still out there to get If you need them. if the stove was well taken care of it will give you a lifetime of good service earth stove was way ahead of the times in stove technology 12 happy years of cheap heat and no gas. corn here in the great lakes region is 3.55 per bushel the stove on hard working nights burns 35lbs in about 15 hours with the stat at 68% This is on the south shore of lake erie where the nights in jan, can easily plumit to -9 or colder it is a great stove good luck. for parts call topeka seed and stove in topeka in at 260-593-2407. if you dont get your manual e-mail me and i,ll scan and email mine to you . have fun telling the gas co to stick it ! [email protected]

Thanks I got the manual today. I have both burn pots corn and the pellet burn pot. the pellet pot in open on the ends and the corn pot is a box. I hade it running today and seemed to work fine verry quet stove. Plan on installing it this weekend. I test fired it in my pole barn. I will keep you all posted , and prolly ask more stuff as what to and not to do....LOL I got it for $450 it was used 2 season. was still bolted to the factory pallat

jo2fst4u said:
Thanks I got the manual today. I have both burn pots corn and the pellet burn pot. the pellet pot in open on the ends and the corn pot is a box. I hade it running today and seemed to work fine verry quet stove. Plan on installing it this weekend. I test fired it in my pole barn. I will keep you all posted , and prolly ask more stuff as what to and not to do....LOL I got it for $450 it was used 2 season. was still bolted to the factory pallat
What are you gonna use corn or pellets if you plan on corn I believe this requires a different pipe not the standard "PL"

That is true but as time goes on they are developing vent specifically for corn stoves. There have been corrosion issues with regular pellet vent and too much MC in the corn. For this stove though it is tested listed and approved for pellet vent and therefore it's installation is usually grandfathered by most AHJ's. Though if there is a change in the wording of code IMC or NFPA (which there probably will be) requiring the use of corn vent on corn burners then when and if you were to reinstall it the AHJ could and probably would require that it be installed by the more current & stringent standards.

And what listing would this "corn vent" be required to have? Would there be special tests involved? Have you heard of any new listings being added specifically for corn? As of now there are at least 3 different alloys of Stainless Steel being used for both pellet and corn vent (you can call it whatever you like) by different manufacturers.

I don't make the list :) And the tone of your post seems to imply that I'm disagreeing with you somehow. Just pointing out that in the future it is possible that there will be "corn vent" under a separate listing. I've inspected 3 corn stoves to date that used regular Simpson Duravent L vent. All 3 had higher MC corn burned and all 3 had pin holes in the inner liner. So along comes the corn vent, I assume that this is made with a higher quality or thicker gauge stainless to prevent corrosion problems. Since most people will opt for the cheaper rather than the slightly safer it's just a wild guess that in the future the code books and listing folks may change code wording. IT's all a hypothetical situation you see?

First Post...

Hello! Hello! I am a new owner of used MP 35-50 “Earth Stove”. Bought it used on Craig’s List for $300.00. This is my second stove, it is for the other side of my house. I purchased a Harman Accentra last year and now my friends call me “pellet stove Jesus”. Constantly converting people to burn pellets.. Anyways, I stumbled upon this post. My question: Does anyone have a copy of this manual that they would be willing to e-mail me. Also, where is the best place to order parts for this old stove? Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Bill Moore

PS - Sorry shayne, in my haste to find info, I accidentally e-mailed you when I was looking for the manual.

you could google earth stove parts, or click here http://woodheatstoves.com/control-boards-c-292_90_129.html

probably not the board though, spend the time to trouble shoot and save control board bucks, they are spendy, what are the symptoms?
i'll email you the service manual before you have to buy the board...it has a great trouble shooting sequence....

heres the quick start guide found here
http://woodheatstoves.com/images/Earth Stove Pellet Stoves MAINTENANCE tips.pdf

this should be helpful to the op :)
if you need the manual, let me know by pm and i'll email it to ya!!
Earth Stove Pellet Stoves
PELLET STOVE OPERATION & MAINTENANCE TIPS
TO START-- Clean glass as needed with paper towel and woodstove glass cleaner. (Lay a
piece of newspaper below the door to catch any debris.)
1. Fill hopper with pellets. (Pellets can be poured in from a pellet bucket in small quantities
or the bag of pellets can be cut open right in the hopper to prevent spillage).
2. Turn up thermostat to DC
3. Pour 2 SCOOPS of pellets in to the burn pot (behind the large front log). It is not
necessary to remove the logs.
4. Light the pellets in the burn pot with a torch or lighting material.
5. Close the door (check settings, feed low and draft fan low).
6. Flip switch on panel to on position--check to see red light go on.
7. after the pellets start to burn (2-3 m push start button on control panel).
8. Adjust thermostat to desired temperature after waiting 10-20 minutes for the fire to get
established.
9. Turn on the room air circulating fan with the dial control on the panel. Turn to low speed
to avoid having it cycle on and off. If it does cycle on and off, you can turn the speed up as
desired.
To STOP- Flip the switch on the panel to the off position.
KEEPING THE GLASS DOOR CLEAN--Adjustment of the logs and the draft inducer
fan damper flap can change flame path and keep soot on the door to a minimum. Flame
directed at the glass may increase soot build up. To clean the glass door; A. Lay a piece of
newspaper below the door B. Wipe the door with a paper towel C. Spray some woodstove
glass cleaning fluid on the glass D. Wipe the soot off with a paper towel.
HOPPER EXTENSIONS CAN EXTEND BURN TIMES TO THREE DAYS
UNATTENDED. If you would like to increase the hopper size you can add a hopper
extension to any one of the Natural Fire models. This will allow you to load pellets only
once every two or three days instead of daily.
MAINTENANCE
1) As ashes build up in the burn pot, the flame will change its shape and the door will soot
over much faster. Remove ashes by sweeping the burn pot with an Earth Stone Burn Pot
cleaning tool or a stick from side to side.
2) When the ashes build up in the firebox you can remove them by; A) Remove the logs B)
Remove the burn pot by first removing the screws on the top of the burn pot (it lifts out by
hand) then lifting the whole burn pot up and out C) Remove the ashes with a scoop or a
shop vacuum D) Reassemble burn pot and logs.
3)3) Inspect the Heat Exchange Tubes (above the logs) regularly to monitor soot build up.
When these tubes get heavily coated with soot (1/16 inch or more) they gradually lose their
efficiency. Clean these tubes with a bottle brush to keep your stove at its highest efficiency.
4) POWER OUTAGES
During a power outage you can continue to get heat from your pellet stove by using a 500
watt or larger generator. These very small generators can be operated outdoors with an
extension cord running into the house to your stove and possibly TV, radio, lights and
refrigerator, depending on the generators capacity.
5) If your power goes out and then the stove will not start back up after the power comes
back on, you will need to push the manual reset button (check your manual for its reset
location).
6) If you find that your stove is putting out more than you need, even though the thermostat
is turned down, you can reduce the heat output on the low setting. This is done by filling in
the cup at the bottom of the hopper, up to 50 percent, with silicon caulk. Apply the caulk
after cleaning all of the pellets and dust out, then let the caulk dry for at least one day. The
caulk can be removed later, with a knife, if desired.
7) We have found that the following accessories make pellet burning even more convenient.
You might consider purchasing these for your pellet stove: Propane torch, fire starters, pellet
scoop, glass cleaner, pellet bucket (coal scuttle), brass polish, hopper extension allow a 100lb.
(2 bags) capacity, setback thermostats TP40 warning shelves.

colombia gasless said:
I run a 1994 tp 440. We only burn corn at about 14% moisture. we heat 2200 sq feet with the honywell thermostat at midway through the house. I run the stat at 68% and ran my combustion air inlet under the crawlspace to the far end of the house as a cold air return to a 4x8 floor vent. Ran three inch flex from the stove to the 4x8 and it easily pulls the warm air all the way through the house . woke this morning to 4% outside temp and had a toasty even 74% inside . It is a well built stove we love it . The parts are still out there to get If you need them. if the stove was well taken care of it will give you a lifetime of good service earth stove was way ahead of the times in stove technology 12 happy years of cheap heat and no gas. corn here in the great lakes region is 3.55 per bushel the stove on hard working nights burns 35lbs in about 15 hours with the stat at 68% This is on the south shore of lake erie where the nights in jan, can easily plumit to -9 or colder it is a great stove good luck. for parts call topeka seed and stove in topeka in at 260-593-2407. if you dont get your manual e-mail me and i,ll scan and email mine to you . have fun telling the gas co to stick it ! [email protected]

did you reduce cup size first? earthstoves require cup plug reduction, i use silicone instead of expensive lennox part

Shane said:
That is true but as time goes on they are developing vent specifically for corn stoves. There have been corrosion issues with regular pellet vent and too much MC in the corn. For this stove though it is tested listed and approved for pellet vent and therefore it's installation is usually grandfathered by most AHJ's. Though if there is a change in the wording of code IMC or NFPA (which there probably will be) requiring the use of corn vent on corn burners then when and if you were to reinstall it the AHJ could and probably would require that it be installed by the more current & stringent standards.

this stove is even approved for galvanized conductor pipe, lol

Wood Heat Stoves said:
you could google earth stove parts, or click here http://woodheatstoves.com/control-boards-c-292_90_129.html

probably not the board though, spend the time to trouble shoot and save control board bucks, they are spendy, what are the symptoms?
i'll email you the service manual before you have to buy the board...it has a great trouble shooting sequence....

heres the quick start guide found here
http://woodheatstoves.com/images/Earth Stove Pellet Stoves MAINTENANCE tips.pdf

this should be helpful to the op :)
if you need the manual, let me know by pm and i'll email it to ya!!
Earth Stove Pellet Stoves
PELLET STOVE OPERATION & MAINTENANCE TIPS
TO START-- Clean glass as needed with paper towel and woodstove glass cleaner. (Lay a
piece of newspaper below the door to catch any debris.)
1. Fill hopper with pellets. (Pellets can be poured in from a pellet bucket in small quantities
or the bag of pellets can be cut open right in the hopper to prevent spillage).
2. Turn up thermostat to DC
3. Pour 2 SCOOPS of pellets in to the burn pot (behind the large front log). It is not
necessary to remove the logs.
4. Light the pellets in the burn pot with a torch or lighting material.
5. Close the door (check settings, feed low and draft fan low).
6. Flip switch on panel to on position--check to see red light go on.
7. after the pellets start to burn (2-3 m push start button on control panel).
8. Adjust thermostat to desired temperature after waiting 10-20 minutes for the fire to get
established.
9. Turn on the room air circulating fan with the dial control on the panel. Turn to low speed
to avoid having it cycle on and off. If it does cycle on and off, you can turn the speed up as
desired.
To STOP- Flip the switch on the panel to the off position.
KEEPING THE GLASS DOOR CLEAN--Adjustment of the logs and the draft inducer
fan damper flap can change flame path and keep soot on the door to a minimum. Flame
directed at the glass may increase soot build up. To clean the glass door; A. Lay a piece of
newspaper below the door B. Wipe the door with a paper towel C. Spray some woodstove
glass cleaning fluid on the glass D. Wipe the soot off with a paper towel.
HOPPER EXTENSIONS CAN EXTEND BURN TIMES TO THREE DAYS
UNATTENDED. If you would like to increase the hopper size you can add a hopper
extension to any one of the Natural Fire models. This will allow you to load pellets only
once every two or three days instead of daily.
MAINTENANCE
1) As ashes build up in the burn pot, the flame will change its shape and the door will soot
over much faster. Remove ashes by sweeping the burn pot with an Earth Stone Burn Pot
cleaning tool or a stick from side to side.
2) When the ashes build up in the firebox you can remove them by; A) Remove the logs B)
Remove the burn pot by first removing the screws on the top of the burn pot (it lifts out by
hand) then lifting the whole burn pot up and out C) Remove the ashes with a scoop or a
shop vacuum D) Reassemble burn pot and logs.
3)3) Inspect the Heat Exchange Tubes (above the logs) regularly to monitor soot build up.
When these tubes get heavily coated with soot (1/16 inch or more) they gradually lose their
efficiency. Clean these tubes with a bottle brush to keep your stove at its highest efficiency.
4) POWER OUTAGES
During a power outage you can continue to get heat from your pellet stove by using a 500
watt or larger generator. These very small generators can be operated outdoors with an
extension cord running into the house to your stove and possibly TV, radio, lights and
refrigerator, depending on the generators capacity.
5) If your power goes out and then the stove will not start back up after the power comes
back on, you will need to push the manual reset button (check your manual for its reset
location).
6) If you find that your stove is putting out more than you need, even though the thermostat
is turned down, you can reduce the heat output on the low setting. This is done by filling in
the cup at the bottom of the hopper, up to 50 percent, with silicon caulk. Apply the caulk
after cleaning all of the pellets and dust out, then let the caulk dry for at least one day. The
caulk can be removed later, with a knife, if desired.
7) We have found that the following accessories make pellet burning even more convenient.
You might consider purchasing these for your pellet stove: Propane torch, fire starters, pellet
scoop, glass cleaner, pellet bucket (coal scuttle), brass polish, hopper extension allow a 100lb.
(2 bags) capacity, setback thermostats TP40 warning shelves.

It is the flow start button that is missing, that is why I was looking for a new control board.

We burn corn not pellets. How does this control work with that, plus with a thermostat. When I read the instructions for that replacement control board, I didn't see how this will work with a corn start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.