Need Information on Flame XTD 1.9 Insert Fast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did find some info on the Flame XTD 1.9 I.

http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-93362.html

"The Flame XTD 1.9-I EPA Wood Burning Fireplace Insert has a generous 2.3 cubic foot firebox that can hold plenty of wood. The powerful 70,000 BTU maximum output can generate enough heat to comfortably heat areas from 1050 to 1,950 square feet in area. "

I have no regrets about going with my 2400 insert, mind you I got a smoking deal on mine, but I would have gotten one eventually anyways. I would have no qualms recommending one to someone else.

I think my only concern, which was just mentioned above is the size. The exterior measurment of the 2400 is Width: 31.0" Depth: 27 7/8" Height: 23 1/4" My fireplace opening is 42" wide but only 26 3/4" high. That's going to make getting the liner/collar attachment tricky. The lady on the phone at Obidiah’s said we could reach around the sides? I think I might build a wood/cardboard box to the 2400s size, and then see how that fits into my opening? The rub is I am travling for work away from home, and won't be able measure until next weekend or the week after.

@BeGreen I have spoken with Obidiah’s and will most likely go that way. They support military with a five percent discount which basically amounts to free shipping to my door with lift gate service which is handy. It seems Osburn keeps prices fixed pretty hard but that seems to be the way of most of the manufactures?

Sorry, getting in late on this.

Flame is a brand we MFG and as stated is a 'value' brand distributed through Copperfield which is a Distributor who specialize in servicing the sweeps & contractor market. They are a reputable company and have been in business for a long time.

A good rule of thumb is to buy the biggest insert that will fit your opening. If the 2400 fits so much the better, it's a big 'un.

If you have a tight fit to install a liner get your dealer to order through Osburn this device. Part #AC02006. Basically you attach this to the end of the liner and drop the liner in the chimney. Install your insert, remove the baffle and reach in the flue and pull in the puller rod. Fasten the bar with the nut from the inside and voila! Just save yourself at least half an hour of cursing and bloody knuckles. This liner puller stays in place, all components are made of heavy duty stainless steel and retails for about $85.

Attachments

• AC02006.png
    AC02006.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 236
@FyreBug Thanks for the input on the Flame. I spent the weekend at home with the wife pouring thru the internet trying to decide what to get, and I had come to the conlusion that the Flame was a base model that would most likely do fine. I was concerned at the lack of reviews from onwers/users who could speak to first hand accounts, but all in all it looks like a scaled-down version of the Osburn 2400. As I have a large fireplace and a good sized home (3000+ sq ft) I am leaning toward the Osburn 2400, but the dealer are real proud of it and it looks like it's gonna run about $2300 delivered. I cant find any better deal. If you could add, what differences in design and construction are there between the Flame 1.9 and the Osburn 2400 (other than size)? Oh and by the way, if you see anyone from marketing please tell them that selling the door seperate is confusing. Thanks in advance.

JeffersonCoKs said:
@FyreBug Thanks for the input on the Flame. I spent the weekend at home with the wife pouring thru the internet trying to decide what to get, and I had come to the conlusion that the Flame was a base model that would most likely do fine. I was concerned at the lack of reviews from onwers/users who could speak to first hand accounts, but all in all it looks like a scaled-down version of the Osburn 2400. As I have a large fireplace and a good sized home (3000+ sq ft) I am leaning toward the Osburn 2400, but the dealer are real proud of it and it looks like it's gonna run about $2300 delivered. I cant find any better deal. If you could add, what differences in design and construction are there between the Flame 1.9 and the Osburn 2400 (other than size)? Oh and by the way, if you see anyone from marketing please tell them that selling the door seperate is confusing. Thanks in advance.

Even though you haven't found many review with the Flame does not necessarily it's a bad unit. Frankly there aren't many bad stoves & inserts out there.

The difference between the Flame brand and Osburn as you mentioned is that Flame is a 'value' brand, whereas Osburn is a 'boutique' brand. We use heavy-duty refractory bricks in Osburn where we use pumice bricks in Flame. Overall material thickness is heavier with Osburn. Flame is 'all black' no customization where Osburn gives you the choice of overlay and other options. Door latch mechanism is cam & roller on Osburn, Better baffle material, Lifetime warranty on glass (even if you put your foot through it) and burn tubes. etc...

The Flame 1.9 is a 2.3 cu. ft whereas the Osburn 2400 is 3.2. Quite a difference.

You do not have to replace the entire door on Osburn, only the inlay. Most people like the advantage of customizing their look. Buy the black one and paint it with Golden fire (bronze) color, it's a nice subtle look. BTW who is your dealer?

Thanks FyreBug for all the tech data. Those design and material details was the stuff I was looking for. I had spoken to Obidiah’s on Monday, but the sales man (I think his name was "Woody") was going to call us back today but didn't. I dont know of a dealer in eastern Kansas, but now that you ask I admit that I had not looked real hard. Once I finished researching what I could on the internet, I guess I just started shopping online too. Funny how "tunnel vision" works. I'll search and see if there is a dealer in Topeka or Kansas City. Do you have any recommendations?

FyreBug said:
The difference between the Flame brand and Osburn as you mentioned is that Flame is a 'value' brand, whereas Osburn is a 'boutique' brand. We use heavy-duty refractory bricks in Osburn where we use pumice bricks in Flame. Overall material thickness is heavier with Osburn. Flame is 'all black' no customization where Osburn gives you the choice of overlay and other options. Door latch mechanism is cam & roller on Osburn, Better baffle material, Lifetime warranty on glass (even if you put your foot through it) and burn tubes. etc...

I'm a bit confused on that statement. Pumice bricks are more expensive. They are used to better insulate the firebox. Yet this statement makes them out to be a "value" solution. Could you ask the engineers if this is correct? Also, what is the difference in material thicknesses on the Flame vs the Osburn?

BeGreen said:
FyreBug said:

I'm a bit confused on that statement. Pumice bricks are more expensive. They are used to better insulate the firebox. Yet this statement makes them out to be a "value" solution. Could you ask the engineers if this is correct? Also, what is the difference in material thicknesses on the Flame vs the Osburn?

Osburn now uses 3/8" plate steel for top. More time is spent in production for fit & finish as well.

As far as bricks, I can ask the buyer but I just checked the system. Standard low density (pumice) bricks VS high-density refractory we use on our furnace and Osburn the cost differential is significant. High density bricks will last a long time (years), whereas low density will have to be replaced every year or two depending on usage. As far as their heat properties, I'll ask the engineers.

JeffersonCoKs said:
Thanks FyreBug for all the tech data. Those design and material details was the stuff I was looking for. I had spoken to Obidiah’s on Monday, but the sales man (I think his name was "Woody") was going to call us back today but didn't. I dont know of a dealer in eastern Kansas, but now that you ask I admit that I had not looked real hard. Once I finished researching what I could on the internet, I guess I just started shopping online too. Funny how "tunnel vision" works. I'll search and see if there is a dealer in Topeka or Kansas City. Do you have any recommendations?

There's Energy Centre in Manhatten that would be the nearest. We are working on a dealer for Topeka but not quite there yet. PM me when you are ready to go there and i'll help where I can.

anyone know how the "flame" differs from the drolet - the specs appear very similar except drolet (at lowes for instance) is cheaper

I understand if you are confused with the many brands... sometimes I have to get them straight myself... Drolet & Century are brands designated for 'big box' stores and has such the difference might be more into the marketing & target market. Wont bore you with the details.

Flame is a brand marketed typically via the contractor/sweep market. The quality between these 3 brands are very similar. If you find a big box selling much lower than expected it is because they are willing to accept a much lower mark up.

Status
Not open for further replies.