Need some help on my stoves burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibladerj

Mar 4, 2013
North of Scranton
I believe that my stove 5500M USSC is not burning correctly. I understand that they are not as popular as other brands so I don’t know what kind of help I can get. Once the stove is warmed up it will switch between a good flame and a lazy flame several times with no real consistency. Attached you will find a video of the condition starting with " the lazy flame" for about 30secs then you can see the draft fan kick in and the stove burns better. I didn’t notice this last season.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now I just replaced the door gasket and that is tighter than tight. Also I do not have an ash pan so no gasket issue to be had. Lastly I bypassed the vacuum switch to rule that out. (Its hooked back up now and the condition dose not change). The stove and exhaust were cleaned very through.

Any ideas?

I believe that my stove 5500M USSC is not burning correctly. ......the condition starting with " the lazy flame" for about 30secs then you can see the draft fan kick in and the stove burns better......
There is something wrong with either the electronics or the comb. motor. The comb. motor wasn't running for the first 30 seconds....it's supposed to be running ALL THE TIME. I even hear it going on & off later in the video....something def. not right.

Was the unit plugged in all summer?

The stove was unpluged all summer.

P.s i also replaced the entire exhaust blower motor and housing.

There is something wrong with either the electronics or the comb. motor. The comb. motor wasn't running for the first 30 seconds....it's supposed to be running ALL THE TIME. I even hear it going on & off later in the video....something def. not right.

Was the unit plugged in all summer?

imacman,

Some of the USSC units have a controller that pulses the combustion blower (notebly their window unit to name one).

skibladerj

I'd get on the phone to USSC and ask if your unit is one that pulses and if it isn't what would cause it to pulse.

When you pull and clean a combustion blower it is possible that you didn't get a tight connection when putting the blower back on this and the vibration and heat stress could result in the connection being made and then broken resulting in the pulsing but I don't think this is likely. There is also drag if the blades got bent but again unlikely to cause the pulsing.

Some USSC don't run all the time as Smokey said... But I would def get on the horn and look into that.

That blower was not running at All. As long as its set up that way? It may be o.k. But I would want to be positive.

Ill call them tomorrow ... figured id check here first.

So you guys think that big, loopy, lazy flame is normal?? Geez, I hope not :rolleyes:

thank you for your support guys i'll call them when they are open and see if I can get this resolved.

So you guys think that big, loopy, lazy flame is normal?? Geez, I hope not :rolleyes:

Didn't say that I consider it to be "normal" just that USSC seems to have a different idea about how some of them controllers should operate (some of their stoves have gone through different controllers for the same model let alone that at least one of their controllers has two different operating modes).

For anyone following this... i just got off the phone and customer service told me. Take the stove out of auto draft mode and select a manual setting 2 setting high than the feed rate.

Ill try this next tim i burn.

I did not have any luck with the original customer service advice. So I started making changes to the settings and have it burning better. Its starting to warm up again so no stove for the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.