Need to paint gold BK Princess door black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
The new stove has a gold door, I had no choice since it was a floor model. The gold door isn't going to work in my family room so I want to paint it black to match the stove.

What is the best way to prep. the door? Should I just scuff it up and spray it or should I hit the frame with some type of blasting media first to remove the finish?

Maybe call PE and ask if they will swap them out? I am sure the gold finish is more costly than black. It may just cost some bux to ship...

Interesting. If you're gonna strip it, do it right the first time. And make sure to remove the cam/wedge- that sucker is soft, a harder media grit may eat away at it. I suggest walnut shells, or some of that 000 glass bead for a blasting media. I don't think scuffing the finish up and painting it is gonna last. Just my thoughts, I may be wrong. (what would be super-cool, - etch the glass at the same time, in the locations that always darken up after a bit((plenty of pics. here)) so that your view forms a valley/canyon as it gets dirty) sorry, just something I'm thinking about with mine. Good luck. JB

Taking the shine off the Princess already? Maybe you could exchange with another Princess owner? Ask the stove shop before messing with it. They may be happy to work out a trade.

when we do this on older model we just use some fine steel wool and scuff until the shines gone then clean and paint. Never had one flake yet

BeGreen said:
Taking the shine off the Princess already? Maybe you could exchange with another Princess owner? Ask the stove shop before messing with it. They may be happy to work out a trade.

I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if anyone is interested in trading. The shop I bought from didn't have any and had no interest in swapping it out. I don't think BK stoves sell too well for them.

Does anyone know of the Princess Insert door and Freestanding are the same?

rdust said:
The new stove has a gold door, I had no choice since it was a floor model. The gold door isn't going to work in my family room so I want to paint it black to match the stove.

What is the best way to prep. the door? Should I just scuff it up and spray it or should I hit the frame with some type of blasting media first to remove the finish?

If the gold finish is anything like an enamel finish, it will melt, flake, and/or discolor. Trust me.

The gold door may be just what someone is looking for so I would try Craig's List first to see about a trade. It's worth more than black so you may be able to make a little on the trade. If you have to paint it , rough it up really well with steel wool. Also clean with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water solution to take any oils off surface.

I'd consider trading. I wonder what shipping would run ?

Status
Not open for further replies.