Needed, help with creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can look here for a certified pro in your area: http://www.csia.org/search and http://www.nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm

I suggest that your landlord should also be there during the inspection that the sweep can tell him all the things that are wrong with this setup. For the health and safety of your family and since oil prices have come down I would turn on the furnace the remaining time you are there. Losing most of your possession in a house fire or even worse a loved one will not be worth it.

Are you saying that even if I get an adapter and switch the pipe around, a chimney fire is likely? What are The factors that you see which make the chimney fire likely.
All that creosote is coming from inside your pipe, where there is a bunch more of it. That stuff is the fuel for chimney fires.

Thanks folks for all of the information, landlord lives in another state. We will be trying to get oil delivered today for the furnace, then we will work on having the stove and fireplace looked at.

Thanks folks for all of the information, landlord lives in another state. We will be trying to get oil delivered today for the furnace, then we will work on having the stove and fireplace looked at.

At the very least, fill a couple jerry cans at a service station with diesel until you can get the fuel truck there. Done it many a time in the past when the heating oil got too low and was waiting on delivery.

Burning down the house will cost you a lot more than a moisture meter. Even buying a good stove is dirt cheap compared to a house fire.

Heating Oil is $2.16 an gallon around here now. At that price id forget that wood stove for awhile. At least until your wood dries.

If your leaving in June buy some oil get through winter safely. It all sounds to me that its the landlords problem not yours.

Kind of wondering how the landlord sleeps at night...
As a landlord i can tell you not very well in this weather. Most of the time the tenants run out of oil in the middle of the night and instead of calling me bunk in with their relatives til they get oil. They will however call me when they get oil and discover that every pipe in the house has froze and busted. I dont allow tenants to use wood stoves for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.