Needing a crew for the Ice storm Who's in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are calling for snow here maybe changing to some sleet. Not starting here till Wed some time.

nothing but sleet so far. And yes the air filter is clean. Just threw down a layer of salt.

MMaul said:
nothing but sleet so far. And yes the air filter is clean. Just threw down a layer of salt.

Salts down but bet its not going to help much! lol sheets of ice here already.

Prepped the tools sunday after cutting all last week.Bring it on. :vampire:

JeffT said:
Prepped the tools sunday after cutting all last week.Bring it on. :vampire:

Dayton Ohio, give it another hour and your in it too!

Good luck to you all. We are just getting snow here. I guess it pays to live north sometimes.

wendell said:
Good luck to you all. We are just getting snow here. I guess it pays to live north sometimes.

You sure would think it would be all snow its 22 degrees out so everything this rain touchs turns to ice. This could turn very ugly....

Warmer air aloft and there isn't enough time for the moisture to turn to snow before it hits the ground. It is at times like this I especially like heating with wood!

Good luck Jay.Brought a weeks worth in to save time going to the stacks,mite get a little hairy.

Forecast changed a little here,sleet/ice stopped earlier.Roads are getting bad already,lots of cancellations,travel not recommended overnight unless absolutely necessary with 2-3 inches snow tonight.Blizzard warning from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday,40-50 MPH gusts most of tommorow with heaviest snow tommorow night 7-10 inches total by late Wednesday,up to 16 in isolated spots.

JeffT said:
Good luck Jay.Brought a weeks worth in to save time going to the stacks,mite get a little hairy.

Thanks This is going to be wild! 20 gallons of gen-set fuel and 2 1/2 gallons of mix 3 gallons of veggie oil.... Oh and a cord of hardwood dry!

Thistle said:
Forecast changed a little here,sleet/ice stopped earlier.Roads are getting bad already,lots of cancellations,travel not recommended overnight unless absolutely necessary with 2-3 inches snow tonight.Blizzard warning from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday,40-50 MPH gusts most of tommorow with heaviest snow tommorow night 7-10 inches total by late Wednesday,up to 16 in isolated spots.

We are the same other than the first part is rain. Heavy power lines and breaking tree's for sure.

Looks like all snow up here, Wednesday it's suppose to get bad out. They are calling for 13,5 of wet heavy snow so maybe a day off and one last run back in the woods for some dead standing plus a topped off Cherry.

The saws will come in Tuesday night for a cleaning and some fresh metal then maybe a day in the woods.

Zap

Stay safe

zapny said:
Looks like all snow up here, Wednesday it's suppose to get bad out. They are calling for 13,5 of wet heavy snow so maybe a day off and one last run back in the woods for some dead standing plus a topped off Cherry.

The saws will come in Tuesday night for a cleaning and some fresh metal then maybe a day in the woods.

Zap

Stay safe
Pouring rain here how and of course freezing to everything...

Looks like it's going north of us.Were going to take a hit but Jay your in the cross hairs.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:
I'd be in if I lived closer. I will get some gas, oil ,and chains sharpened incase my neighbors need some help.

I think thats what its going to come down to. Stay close to home atleast for the first couple days. Winds are very sharp here right now.

Latest forecast is 1"+ of ice. That's bad news.

What part of Indiana are you in?

I'm in southern Parke county, a little N of Terre Haute. It's pouring rain and getting pretty icy. I just walked the Lab and we have a couple tenths already and the "storm" isn't even here yet. Neighbors white pines are sagging hard. Couple small branches down. It is going to be bad...like this could send us back to the stone age for a week. Cord of wood inside, saw is sharp, quad fueled up, fridge and pantry full, and beer on hand. I'm concerned, but not worried...

Down here on the Island, they are callin' for a mixed-bag -

Snow to sleet to freezing rain to rain to freezing rain to sleet to snow (from Tuesday morning to Wednesday evening)

Blower fueled - Check
Obstructions in Drive cleared (again) - Check
Down spouts cleared - Check
Saws ready - Check
Extra chains for above - Check
Fuel for the above items - Check
Fuel in genny - Check (50 gal Diesel OUCH!)
Fuel for In(out) Law Apartment - Check ( 3/4 cord Cherry)

Ready for recall to work - FAIL (I don't wanna go AGAIN! - Tues/Weds = my Sat & Suns!) 4th week in a row - don't I get a break?!?!?!

W A R N I N I N G -

We have a NON COMPLIANCE issue!!!

PJF1313 said:
Down here on the Island, they are callin' for a mixed-bag -

Snow to sleet to freezing rain to rain to freezing rain to sleet to snow (from Tuesday morning to Wednesday evening)

Blower fueled - Check
Obstructions in Drive cleared (again) - Check
Down spouts cleared - Check
Saws ready - Check
Extra chains for above - Check
Fuel for the above items - Check
Fuel in genny - Check (50 gal Diesel OUCH!)
Fuel for In(out) Law Apartment - Check ( 3/4 cord Cherry)

Ready for recall to work - FAIL (I don't wanna go AGAIN! - Tues/Weds = my Sat & Suns!) 4th week in a row - don't I get a break?!?!?!

W A R N I N I N G -

We have a NON COMPLIANCE issue!!!
On a lighter note,did you catch any stripers last year.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:
I'd be in if I lived closer. I will get some gas, oil ,and chains sharpened incase my neighbors need some help.

I think thats what its going to come down to. Stay close to home atleast for the first couple days. Winds are very sharp here right now.

Latest forecast is 1"+ of ice. That's bad news.

What part of Indiana are you in?

I'm in southern Parke county, a little N of Terre Haute. It's pouring rain and getting pretty icy. I just walked the Lab and we have a couple tenths already and the "storm" isn't even here yet. Neighbors white pines are sagging hard. Couple small branches down. It is going to be bad...like this could send us back to the stone age for a week. Cord of wood inside, saw is sharp, quad fueled up, fridge and pantry full, and beer on hand. I'm concerned, but not worried...
Another Indiana boy with a 361...lol Same here just rolled in a few min,s ago with the last stop beer! Going to be one we will take about for awhile. Trees are going to be snaping everywhere...

Sorry, JeffT,

Last year (and so far this year) we are down 3 equipment mechanics - So 6 - 12+ hr shifts where the norm from April to October. I can't remember the last time I drowned a worm! Good thing that I can keep some time on the books, but a lot of good that does me when Mother Nature is on that time of the month from Dec. on!!!

Bring it on. Wood stacked right by the door, rack full by the stove. Plenty of gas for the generators (I can spit on the power plant from my house, so we shouldn't be without for too long!), plenty of food and beer, saw is always ready to go, and Truck is loaded with "survival gear"

I'm only worried about being without internet and/or cell phone.

Just got back from ice melt application 1. Not even putting a dent in it. Going to be ultra crappy for a few days.
Truck is tarped, beer cold, fire hot, and still on the grid here. Time to get sharpening.

I'm wondering when I'm going to lose power. Like the rodeo saying...it's not if...it's when and how bad.

Bocefus78 said:
Just got back from ice melt application 1. Not even putting a dent in it. Going to be ultra crappy for a few days.
Truck is tarped, beer cold, fire hot, and still on the grid here. Time to get sharpening.

Salts not working here either. Furnace blazing saw sharp and beers cold......Oh and its not Sunday Wooot Woooot!

Status
Not open for further replies.