Needing help Stove not keeping up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kscowboy

Dec 30, 2009
kansas
I have and englands 25 pdvc and as some other have found i only get heat out of the right side (left as you stand in front and look at it) also It is having trouble keeping up or heat at all i have blocked of the room it is in and cant seem to get it about 70 deg and the thermostat is on the wall behind it about 3 foot away the outside temp last night was 32 to 35 and temp was 70 when i awoke
yesterday during the day outside temp was 40 to 45 and when we got home still not higher than 70 we do have a celling fan in that room to help circulate air

How long have you been running this stove ? Did this just start or has it never been this cold before ? I would shut it down and clean it . Make sure to remove the burn plate and vacuum under it . Try a different brand of hard wood pellets . I have one brand of pellets that give almost no heat . Lignetics green label work good in my stove .

I have clean every thing about once a week includeing removal of the burn plate and the T cleanout. I am burning on my second ton of pellets and this is aobut a little above the average temp have had some real cold weather here a cold spell of - temp plus the great kansas wind made it about -15-25 for about 2 to 3 weeks last month thanks for the help

What is thermostat set for? (IMO, it's too close to the stove too....should be about 10-15 ft away, and NOT in line with the air blowing out of the stove).

You "cleaned" the stove....did that include removing the blowers, especially the comb. blower and cleaning the vanes of all the soot? Did you clean out all the ash traps?

Did you clean the entire pipe, besides the t-cleanout? What brand of pellets? What are your bottom 3 buttons set at?

sorry the thermostat is for the house unit stove not on thermostat yes cleaned everything except house blower seem to be working only in second year of use

I took this post of yours (below)from another thread .
If this still holds true it`s easy to see why the stove isn`t doing the job you want it too.

"I too live in an old farm house as far as we can tell at least 125 years old has two staircases and at one time from what we can see 3 chimenys we are at 3000 sqare feet two level not including the basment in square footage last week outside temps huvered around the low single to neg with out kansas wind with wind average about -15 to -25 could not get the house above 60 with the pellet stove and electric furnace cranked up with out the pellet stove would not go above 50 we will be installin a add on wood furnace with all the research done here it seem be the best option would you do some searching on this site about them you will see the benifits as i have good luck "

Most of the heat blown out the front of that stove comes out on the side you mentioned.
Do you know how to put that stove in "c " heat mode? If your stove is in "d" mode it won`t put out as much heat as C mode.
This could make a substantial difference for you.

not sure how to due that mode change when weather was below 5 deg would hang a blanket and block off the rest of the house but the room the stove was in and room in front of stove still could not reach above 60-62 on theromstat on the wall next to the stove how does one change modes thank for your help

Based on what Gio posted above from your previous posting, the stove you bought is just way too small for that drafty house. That stove is rated for at best 1500sq. ft. Even though you have an "electric furnace", I think your expecting way to much of the stove.

IMO, you need to insulate the house, or get a MUCH bigger stove.

I am afraid that he is right the stove is to small for the whole house ,but I think it should heat one room . How big is the room you are heating ?
My garage is 16X28 and I have no problem heating it . It was -37 last night ,nice and warm in there this morning .

kscowboy said:
not sure how to due that mode change when weather was below 5 deg would hang a blanket and block off the rest of the house but the room the stove was in and room in front of stove still could not reach above 60-62 on theromstat on the wall next to the stove how does one change modes thank for your help

That stove is one Englanders small ones but it should easily heat a large room.I know cause I have one myself.

First, I`d recommend you do this only at the advice of a service tech but this is how they told me to do it. It works!

1….Start with a cold stove
2…..unplug it
3…..plug it back in and within 2 sec`s press both blower speed arrows simutaneously and hold for two sec`s and release them , you will see a letter in the heat range window.
4….If it is a letter d press the down arrow to change it to c. You have to do this quickly or the display changes back to where it was. But don`t fret. If you`re slow and miss the timing just unplug it and start over.
5. Lastly and quickly hit the on button. That should get you in the hotter burn range.
Good luck.

Think about it. Rural America at it`s purest . The guy has old farmhouse in Kansas. It must be utterly charming , nostalgic , invoking thoughts of beautiful spacious skies, fruited plains and an old cast iron water pump outside , not to mention Dorothy, Toto, and the tin man and that ugly old groan of a witch.
But those heart warming thoughts must dim a little when the reality hits that you are unable to heat the place sufficiently.
I sure hope we are able to asist you ks cowboy.

Thanks going to try to change the heat range another cold spell it coming this week some more of the sub 25 plus wind at night and day highs in the 30's and more wind. Will let you know how it goes Thanks

kscowboy said:
Thanks going to try to change the heat range another cold spell it coming this week some more of the sub 25 plus wind at night and day highs in the 30's and more wind. Will let you know how it goes Thanks

I also asked before....what are your bottom 3 buttons set at?

What pellets are you burning?

did they give you any special usage instructions such a heat and blower settings

Why don't you give Englander Tech support a call tomorrow. Tell them your house/stove set-up, and see if they have any ideas of how to get more heat out of the stove.

that was the plan for today but did not have time had to have a motor tore down by days end

adjusted the setting as you said and it had feed on 2 and fan on 4 put out more heat that way than the old on 7 7 shutting down the stove now to let cool and go back to origianl setting until i can get ahold to englander tech line do not want it to burn that way to long until i talk to them Thanks again for the knowldge wih i would have know that last mont when the temps were below 0 And Thanks again for the help

kscowboy said:
adjusted the setting as you said and it had feed on 2 and fan on 4 put out more heat that way than the old on 7 7 shutting down the stove now to let cool and go back to origianl setting until i can get ahold to englander tech line do not want it to burn that way to long until i talk to them Thanks again for the knowldge wih i would have know that last mont when the temps were below 0 And Thanks again for the help

The stove is supposed to shut down if overheated . I run mine at #7 for and hour or so then I turn it down to #3.
I leave my fan on #9 regardless of whatever heat setting as it`s only capable of blowing 145 CFM anyway.
It doesn`t seem to cool down the the heat blowing out of the front but very little. It seems to me that it`s a lot more efficient at extracting the heat from the stove and distributing it better when it`s blowing the fastest.
The Englander tech recommended that I set the bottom 3 buttons at 6-9-1but keep in mind they only control the #1 and #2 heat settings. The higher settings of #3 - #9 are automatically controlled by the board.
Oh yeah, remember to have a cold stove when you talk to the Englander tech. Or you will have to wait till he calls you back later when your stove is cooled off..

I will be at work when i call hope he can help me any way. So the stove has an overheat sensor? Maybe i will leave it on c and leave the factory setting at 6-4-1 to see if i can keep the house a little warmer tonigt as we run our almost 24/7 minus the daily cleaning we cool it down clean ash pot under it and remove the fire plate not sure if it is need buy we do it with a weekly chimney clean Thanks again

Gio said:
The Englander tech recommended that I set the bottom 3 buttons at 6-4-9 but keep in mind they only control the #1 and #2 heat settings. The higher settings of #3 - #9 are automatically controlled by the board.....

Gio, are you sure they said 6-4-9? The Air On Temp is always supposed to be on 1.

Also, it has been talked about on the forum, and I had it confirmed by an Englander Tech last Friday that the bottom buttons DO have an effect on the heat and blower ranges above 2. I changed my settings during the last cold spell, and noticed the increased heat on the upper settings immediately.

kscowboy said:
I will be at work when i call hope he can help me any way. So the stove has an overheat sensor? Maybe i will leave it on c and leave the factory setting at 6-4-1 to see if i can keep the house a little warmer tonigt as we run our almost 24/7 minus the daily cleaning we cool it down clean ash pot under it and remove the fire plate not sure if it is need buy we do it with a weekly chimney clean Thanks again

The factory tech recommended bottom 3 button settings are 6-9-1 when in heat range c . I corrected the typo error in my previous post.
The last button always stays on #1

Gio said:
kscowboy said:

The recommended bottom 3 button settings are 6-9-1 . I corrected the error in my previous post.
The last button always stays on #1

9 on the LBA??? ....WOW.....that is a LOT of combustion air getting blown up the stack. I got a lot of heat back from my stove when I lowered mine. Exhaust pipe was very hot before I changed the settings.

Have you ever tried it on say, 6-4-1, or 5-3-1, even if the regular heat setting is at 3 or above? If not, give it a try.

macman said:
Gio said:
The Englander tech recommended that I set the bottom 3 buttons at 6-4-9 but keep in mind they only control the #1 and #2 heat settings. The higher settings of #3 - #9 are automatically controlled by the board.....

Gio, are you sure they said 6-4-9? The Air On Temp is always supposed to be on 1.

Also, it has been talked about on the forum, and I had it confirmed by an Englander Tech last Friday that the bottom buttons DO have an effect on the heat and blower ranges above 2. I changed my settings during the last cold spell, and noticed the increased heat on the upper settings immediately.

Yes Thanks Macman , I corrected that error. I guess the techs aren`t all on the same page . I was told the lower 3 buttons only effected the low burn settings and i thought Mike Holten confirmed that to be true.
However, I`m hoping you are right. I`m gonna give it a run tomorrow to see if it actually does affect the higher burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.