Needing help Stove not keeping up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I dug up a fairly recent posting from Mike Holten. I`m sure some of us recall this one.

"3 buttons exposed:

1 LFF low fuel feed; this setting controls the cycle rate of the top auger when the unit is set on a heat range of 1 or 2. it does not affect the stove at heat range 3 or higher. the LFF settins we choose are based on consumption rates using average sized pellets meaning an average length of 3/4 inches (ish) now not all pellets are sized this way some smaller some longer on average so the settings can be adjusted to compensate (we usually wish to advise on that based on what an owner gives us on average time of a bag’s burn duration on h/r 1) ideally to allow the stove to keep a physical fire without having to relight each batch from coals which is a dirty burn)

2. LBA low burn air; this setting determines the speed of the exhaust/combustion blower on the same 1 and 2 heat settings, no effect on 3 and higher. as with the LFF we determine what the best air setting is based on typical pellets and anormal setup. we may adjust this with info from the owner in cases of high altitude, odd hookups and such. too much air causes a “starve/smother too little and it “loads up” and burns pelets slower than they arrive causing excessive ash buildup clinkering and sooted glass

3. AOT air on temp; the air on temp button controls the temp related functions such as “proof of fire” blower on and off, and others. this setting shold never be on anything but 1.

there ya go "

macman said:
Gio said:
kscowboy said:
I will be at work when i call hope he can help me any way. So the stove has an overheat sensor? Maybe i will leave it on c and leave the factory setting at 6-4-1 to see if i can keep the house a little warmer tonigt as we run our almost 24/7 minus the daily cleaning we cool it down clean ash pot under it and remove the fire plate not sure if it is need buy we do it with a weekly chimney clean Thanks again

The recommended bottom 3 button settings are 6-9-1 . I corrected the error in my previous post.
The last button always stays on #1

9 on the LBA??? ....WOW.....that is a LOT of combustion air getting blown up the stack. I got a lot of heat back from my stove when I lowered mine. Exhaust pipe was very hot before I changed the settings.

Have you ever tried it on say, 6-4-1, or 5-3-1, even if the regular heat setting is at 3 or above? If not, give it a try.

Personally I`ve been unable to notice a measureable difference in flame , heat loss up the vent pipe, or burn characteristics by changing the LBA settings . I eventually decided to leave it at 6-4-1
My flame has always been reasonably clean with a very fine powdery grey ash and every single pellet always completely burned.

i have the stove on 2 and 9 and the bottom at 6-4-1 factory and took the blankets down and the room the stove is in reads at 73 deg and the living room reads about 68 outside temp read at 21deg with slight breeze of about 16-18 mph moving to the higher heat setting (c) seems to work thanks again GIO

kscowboy said:
i have the stove on 2 and 9 and the bottom at 6-4-1 factory and took the blankets down and the room the stove is in reads at 73 deg and the living room reads about 68 outside temp read at 21deg with slight breeze of about 16-18 mph moving to the higher heat setting (c) seems to work thanks again GIO

I may be missing something here....why do you have the Heat setting at #2? The higher the setting =more pellets = more heat.

I thought you were running the stove on one of the higher Heat settings like 5, 6, or 7.

BTW, I always run the Blower one setting higher than the Heat. Like 5-6, or 6-7...etc.

Apparently the stove has 2 heat setting D and C with C being high when the stove was on D i could have the stove on 9 and 9 and still not reach 70+ on they days that the temp were 20 and under and night temps in the low teens plus would just eat the pellets which i know is what they are for but your talking a bag ever 2 4 hours and With the stove on the C setting i can put the pellet feed at 2 and blower at 9 and keep the room at 70 easy with the out side temps around the 15 -20 deg mark So i will call esw tech to make sure this is okay before i make the perminate change.

kscowboy said:
Apparently the stove has 2 heat setting D and C with C being high when the stove was on D i could have the stove on 9 and 9 and still not reach 70+ on they days that the temp were 20 and under and night temps in the low teens plus would just eat the pellets which i know is what they are for but your talking a bag ever 2 4 hours and With the stove on the C setting i can put the pellet feed at 2 and blower at 9 and keep the room at 70 easy with the out side temps around the 15 -20 deg mark So i will call esw tech to make sure this is okay before i make the perminate change.

Actually the stove has 4 heat modes but I wouldn`t dare try b or a . One poster did claim his was set at a and he was satisfied but had to keep it set on low , probably a LFF too.

Guarding the heat modes and the lower 3 button settings and not being more open (Englander)with them is in my opinion a mistake. The function of these buttons continue to confuse their owners and the fact that different factory techs are giving out different information complicates the confusion even more.
These buttons should be fully explained in the users manual .

I contacted tech today and he said that runnig on the c mode means that it puts out more pellets hinse more heat. Left it on the c mode last night feed on 2 fan on 8 came down stairs found the temp at 71 with noting blocked off. Outside temp was about 18 with slight breeze very happy with the c setting my wife said she turned it up to 4 n 9 and within 15 min was up to 76 out side temp about 31 34

kscowboy, glad you got the heat situation worked out, and the house is warm now. I still think that, in the future, you need to address the insulation of the house. Some insulation work will be the same as getting more pellets.

Gio, I agree with the need for Englander to be a little more "upfront" about the button settings. I CAN tell everyone that when spoke with a Englander tech last friday about an unrelated issue, that he CONFIRMED that the bottom 3 buttons DO have an effect on the heat output on heat settings above 2.

Still and all, they are hands down the BEST in terms of service from a pellet stove manufacturer. That, and wanting an American made multi-fuel stove made my mind up to buy my 10-cpm.

I know that my money would be best spent insulating but to insulate this house could cost much more thank my futcher plans of installing the add on furnace for next year will help alot. The next big Question is on the setting of d and c in D and on with the setting on 7 7 compared to setting C using 4 9 which uses more pelletes

kscowboy said:
I know that my money would be best spent insulating but to insulate this house could cost much more thank my futcher plans of installing the add on furnace for next year will help alot. The next big Question is on the setting of d and c in D and on with the setting on 7 7 compared to setting C using 4 9 which uses more pelletes

Please let me know if you do some testing.

macman said:
kscowboy, glad you got the heat situation worked out, and the house is warm now. I still think that, in the future, you need to address the insulation of the house. Some insulation work will be the same as getting more pellets.

Gio, I agree with the need for Englander to be a little more "upfront" about the button settings. I CAN tell everyone that when spoke with a Englander tech last friday about an unrelated issue, that he CONFIRMED that the bottom 3 buttons DO have an effect on the heat output on heat settings above 2.

Still and all, they are hands down the BEST in terms of service from a pellet stove manufacturer. That, and wanting an American made multi-fuel stove made my mind up to buy my 10-cpm.

But Mike Holten says they only effect heat settings #1 and #2. What gives ??????????

Gio said:
But Mike Holten says they only effect heat settings #1 and #2. What gives ??????????

Gio, I can only tell you what the Tech told me. He even told me that HE changes the settings on the stove he has at home for the same reason. And I can honestly say that my stove is putting out more heat after I changed the settings than before.

macman said:
Gio said:

Gio, I can only tell you what the Tech told me. He even told me that HE changes the settings on the stove he has at home for the same reason. And I can honestly say

that my stove is putting out more heat after I changed the settings than before.

I agree with you ,I couldn't even burn some of my pellets on the factory setting ,they turned into tiny black lumps . Now I burn that brand on middle button 8
and they turn into grey ash . I was also having trouble staying warm at -30 not any more .

Status
Not open for further replies.