Needing some reassurance about burning pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joefrompa said:
Hi Firefighter,

You are speaking to a guy who got a stove 3 weeks ago and started collecting wood 2 months ago.

I totally agree with you....my ideal setup would be to burn fully seasoned wood at 600 degrees without stopping. Unfortunately, this year especially, I'm going to have to deal with unseasoned wood of questionable providence.

Next year, I'll probably have 50% fully seasoned wood at least. And it'll improve there on out.

But I'm definitely in the phase where I'm learning things, collecting initial wood, etc.

Joe

P.s. My neighbor is felling 2 more ~40' tall, 16" thick pines and giving me the wood pre-cut to 18" thick rounds. All that will be set aside for next year. After a single evening of burning pine, I absolutely love it.

Pallets Joe . . . start stocking up on pallets . . . they work well for getting a fire going . . . and for helping to "dry" things out when you're using marginal wood. That said, while helpful, they are no substitute for having truly seasoned wood. Good luck . . . and have faith . . . most all of us are where you are now . . . getting by with less than perfect wood in the first year of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.