New and confused, Will a skytech 5301P work on Quadra-fire Castile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billd123

Oct 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Maryland
I ordered the skytech 5301P and don't know if it will work with my Quadra-fire Castile insert. For what I have read here it should work.

How do you hook it up to the stove ?

It will come with a receiver that has 2 wires you hook to the back pf the stove. The remote sends a signal to it. I run a 5301 also. Love it. Adjustable swing temp is really nice. Up to a 3 degree swing.

DexterDay

Thanks for the information, But should I connect the wires to the same terminals that the present stat is hooked up too?

I looked at the manual on line and they discuss a jumper wire

The jumper wire is used when you don't use a stat(user controls on of with the switch). Stat wires replace the jumper(stat controls on/off of the stove). Your new 5301P replaces the stat. The reciever goes where the stat wires would go.

Unplug the stove, Remove the 2 wires on the terminal strip. Connect the 2 wires from the reciever module(think thats what its call). Then sit in your recliner and tinker away!

Manual says that stove uses an AC stat. The Skytech runs off DC batteries.

EDIT: never mind J-Takeman said what to do.................................

j-takeman said:
The jumper wire is used when you don't use a stat(user controls on of with the switch). Stat wires replace the jumper(stat controls on/off of the stove). Your new 5301P replaces the stat. The reciever goes where the stat wires would go.

Unplug the stove, Remove the 2 wires on the terminal strip. Connect the 2 wires from the reciever module(think thats what its call). Then sit in your recliner and tinker away!

Yep... The same 2 wires.. The receiver is a little black box that takes 4 AA batteries. (Does not matter which wire goes where). You may have to "learn" the remote to "see" the receiver. There is a learn button on the receiver and all of this is easily explained in the manual.

No need for a jumer like Jay said. Just unplug stove. Plug in the 2 wires where the old T stat was, possibly "learn" remote, and sit back and enjoy.

I put a strip of double sticky sided velcro on the back of mine. (So it can still be removed and taken throughout the house) But 90% of the time its on the wall. I framed the area with 1/2" corner round and stained it to match the wood in the family room. Looks pretty nifty on the wall and due to the velcro, can be removed and taken to your easy chair or to replace batteries.

Thank you to all that replied, the stat came in yesterday and the connection was very simple. Sitting on the couch turning up the heat

Billd123 said:
Thank you to all that replied, the stat came in yesterday and the connection was very simple. Sitting on the couch turning up the heat

Nice. Congrats on the purchase. Experiment with different locations throughout the house. I have mine almost 30 ft awayand still works fine. Straight shot through the dining room and I can see the T stat standing next to the stove. But being farther away means I can set it for actual temp. If its placed in the stove room. You will have to have it set higher (80*) to get another room to a comfortable temp (73*)

Takes some tinkering. But its pretty handy.

I'm looking for a thermostat for my Castile too. Not sure I need the Skytech, but it sure looks slick. :)

The one thing that is a deal breaker for me is this. Please let me know if I misunderstood the online pdf manual. It looks like the 2 choices are 'on' temperature and 'off'. Will it not let you set a low temp or is just off? I was thinking of using it like a furnace set-back thermostat and setting it to say 72 deg when were home and then back to say 62 deg at night so it will still come on if it gets really cold.

Can the Skytech do that?

My other option will be the Lux TX9000RF or TX9000TS which I believe will let me do this.

The 5301P is a 5/2 day setting meaning Mon - Friday is the 5 day and sat &Sun; is the 2. As for the programing there are 2 set ups for each day.
example: for Mon-Fri Program#1 comes on at 5:00 am and turns itself off at 7:00 (you set the temp you want), Program #2 comes on at 5:00pm and turns off at 9:00 PM (you set the temp you want). The unit will turn on and off according to the temp you set and for the time frame you set on the program.

OK - thanks for the reply. So, just to confirm I understand, using your example "Program#1 comes on at 5:00 am and turns itself off at 7:00 (you set the temp you want)", I set the temp I want when it comes on at 5:00 am but when it goes off at 7:00 it just goes off and I can't set a low temp for it to go down to at 7:00, right?

DonD said:
OK - thanks for the reply. So, just to confirm I understand, using your example "Program#1 comes on at 5:00 am and turns itself off at 7:00 (you set the temp you want)", I set the temp I want when it comes on at 5:00 am but when it goes off at 7:00 it just goes off and I can't set a low temp for it to go down to at 7:00, right?

You are correct. for what you want to do I believe you would want the 7 day programable stat from skytech

Billd123 said:
DonD said:

You are correct. for what you want to do I believe you would want the 7 day programable stat from skytech

That doesnt seem right?? So if it goes off at 7. It should still be able to be set to a lower temp while you are away. Its more based on temp times, not timed temps.. If you follow me.

It should be for example - 72* from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. then set back to 68 fro. 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., then back up to 72 from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., then 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. its back to 68.

2 different temps for 2 different times off the day. If the stove just goes off and wont keep the house at a certain temp, then I see no use for it. Mayne I misunderstood how you wrote it???

But when DonD stated that when it goes off, it stays off.. You confirmed that?? Doesnt make sense. The stat should always keep a set temp and let the stove kick on and off? Not just stay off till 5 p.m. or whatever time its programmed to come back on. Should kick on and off based on the temp?? I thought about getting rid of my 5301 and getting the 5301p, but if it wont continually let the stove run all day (to whatever set-back temp you choose) then I think I will pass.

DexterDay said:
Billd123 said:
DonD said:

That doesnt seem right?? So if it goes off at 7. It should still be able to be set to a lower temp while you are away. Its more based on temp times, not timed temps.. If you follow me.

It should be for example - 72* from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. then set back to 68 fro. 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., then back up to 72 from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., then 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. its back to 68.

2 different temps for 2 different times off the day. If the stove just goes off and wont keep the house at a certain temp, then I see no use for it. Mayne I misunderstood how you wrote it???

But when DonD stated that when it goes off, it stays off.. You confirmed that?? Doesnt make sense. The stat should always keep a set temp and let the stove kick on and off? Not just stay off till 5 p.m. or whatever time its programmed to come back on. Should kick on and off based on the temp?? I thought about getting rid of my 5301 and getting the 5301p, but if it wont continually let the stove run all day (to whatever set-back temp you choose) then I think I will pass.

I think understand what it is you want to do and I am not sure if it can be done, I would call skyteh and ask.
You would like to set the stat 68 and have this temp held and then at a set time you want it to raise to the higher temp during the hours you set the program and then back down to 68.

Billd123 said:
DexterDay said:
Billd123 said:
DonD said:

I think understand what it is you want to do and I am not sure if it can be done, I would call skyteh and ask.
You would like to set the stat 68 and have this temp held and then at a set time you want it to raise to the higher temp during the hours you set the program and then back down to 68.

The way I stated, is the way my Programable T-stat is on my Trane Furnace. Figured if it has 2 set backs per day, that it would "set back" to the desired temp.

Then that means its really only based on time. The time you want it on? I want my stove to run when heat is needed. In the Winter, it will be freezing in your house if the stove does not have a set temp and can start up. In the dead of Winter, I run 24/7 so I wouldnt use it then. But for the shoulders it would be nice. Maybe I need the 3301p. But seems like the 5301p should be able to run the stove 24 hrs a day, just depends on the temp you want and what time..

You make it sound like thats not the case. I will do some research when I get home.

Billd123 said:
DexterDay said:
Billd123 said:
DonD said:

Looks like the one that would work for your needs is the Skytech 3301P

If you look at the pdf manual for the 5301P it has 2 options 'on with temp set' and 'off' which is what made me ask and this was confirmed by Billd. It actually makes sense when you consider that this is a thermostat for a fireplace (gas logs?) which to me seems more like an ambiance effect while you are sitting in front of the fireplace and not as the main source of heat. One would probably want the fireplace off when you are not in front of it. Our stoves are more like furnaces so the set back temperature would be more appropriate.

I've moved away from the Skytech for this reason, considered the Lux with or without a remote and I'm now looking at the Pro1IAQ Model T955W Touchscreen Wireless Thermostat Kit. It might be the perfect thermostat for me. It has a swing temp setting and is actually a 3 box set up. A box wired to the heat source, a wireless main thermostat and a separate remote that can override the main thermostat (if you are sitting on the couch and want to bump up the temperature without getting up). It also has a remote outdoor temp sensor. It ends up being pretty expensive though - more than the 5301P. See here:

Pro1IAQ Model T955W Touchscreen Wireless Thermostat Kit

T955W Wireless Universal

If anyone has experience with these I'd love to hear about it. I don;t even know if it would work with a pellet stove yet so any input would be appreciated. in fact maybe I should start a new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.