New batch of Athens pellets smell bad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveo

Jun 6, 2008
Maine
I just ordered two tons of the new Athens pellets. I have been burning green team but got a good deal on the new Athens that will be delivered on 1/8/11. I am pretty much out of pellets right now, so I went over to tractor supply and picked up 10 bags of the new Athens pellets to make sure I like them before my two ton arrive. The pellets seem to be burning nicely with low ash and good heat but they smell bad like they were treated with a chemical or something. They definately do not smell like natural wood. Has anyone else experienced this?

Steveo said:
I just ordered two tons of the new Athens pellets. I have been burning green team but got a good deal on the new Athens that will be delivered on 1/8/11. I am pretty much out of pellets right now, so I went over to tractor supply and picked up 10 bags of the new Athens pellets to make sure I like them before my two ton arrive. The pellets seem to be burning nicely with low ash and good heat but they smell bad like they were treated with a chemical or something. They definately do not smell like natural wood. Has anyone else experienced this?

Evening Steveo,
I picked some of the same pellets (TSC Premium Wood Pellets by MWP )up at the local TSC here in Bangor and and they're great with no bad or foul odors. I just cut open a bag and took a whiff and it's great with a nice healthy natural wood smell. I just picked 15 bags to try a few weeks ago and so they're fresh. I plan on burning some of them in the next couple of days to see how they burn. You may have gotten a few bags that were contaminated while stored in their warehouse or outside. My bags smell normal with no problems. Hopefully they will burn well too.----Lorne.

I bought one ton, then went back for two more. Very nice pellet with a very clean burn. The only odor I detect is while pouring them into the hopper. Smells kind of like when I am sawing wood in my workshop. I would question if your pellets had been stored in an area that had a bad odor that the pellets absorbed?

Well I bunkered 5 ton of them back the first part of December and have burned through about half a ton. Mine smelled just fine. Maybe you "lucked out" and have a bit of skunk spruce in yours :bug: .

SmokeyTheBear said:
Well I bunkered 5 ton of them back the first part of December and have burned through about half a ton. Mine smelled just fine. Maybe you "lucked out" and have a bit of skunk spruce in yours :bug: .

I had one of those growing on my front lawn, Note, I said "had". Too bad, it was growing like a weed. Thought it was going to be nice for Christmas lights, but on a warm day, when the sun hit it, Wow, Kitty box! Replaced it with a red pine. Now about 30 ft tall. Much better aroma!

Status
Not open for further replies.