New chainsaw advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jashcroft

Hearth Supporter
May 5, 2009
Western PA
Hello. I'm new to the forum and am looking for advice on purchasing a new chain saw. I have read a ton of posts on the subject and my head is spinning!

I have run a Stihl 025 for the past 12 years, but have started cutting alot more wood (about 7-10 cords per year) and need to upgrade my saw. My price range is around the $400 mark...give or take. I almost decided on the Dolmar 5100 until I read some threads on Arborist about alot of problems with the cylinder, service, etc. I'd like to hear from some 5100 users that have been running the saw for a few years. I am also considering a Stihl 270, 280, or 310. Haven't ruled out a Husky, but dealers are limited in my area.

Any input would be great.

Some people on here will bash Stihl, but I have used their saws for years. I have an old 031 that was purchased by my dad in 1977 that still runs and cuts wood. I am now using a MS310 that is about 3 years old that I have not had any problems with. I like the fact that they are only sold at dealers an not "big box" stores. There are no Dolmar or Johnsered dealers anywhere near me, so I can't compare.
I would go with a 310. I run a 20" bar on mine and it has more than enough power. Just my $.02.

gator21 said:
Hello. I'm new to the forum and am looking for advice on purchasing a new chain saw. I have read a ton of posts on the subject and my head is spinning!

I have run a Stihl 025 for the past 12 years, but have started cutting alot more wood (about 7-10 cords per year) and need to upgrade my saw. My price range is around the $400 mark...give or take. I almost decided on the Dolmar 5100 until I read some threads on Arborist about alot of problems with the cylinder, service, etc. I'd like to hear from some 5100 users that have been running the saw for a few years. I am also considering a Stihl 270, 280, or 310. Haven't ruled out a Husky, but dealers are limited in my area.

Any input would be great.

A buddy of mine just got a 310 and loves it. I've been cutting 10+ cord per year for 5 or 6 years with my 290 so a 310 would be just that much better.

As long as your open to off brands might as well look at Echo too.

EDIT - Echo offers a 5 year warrantee for consumer use with their saws.

I'm in my second year with my MS310. I've probably run through seven cord with it. I've loved it. I run an 18" bar with a full chisel chain and I feel like it's about all the saw I could ever want. Of course if I had unlimited funds I'd probably want an MS361 just to say I have a "pro" saw....

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm starting to lean towards the 310. Doesn't sound like I can go wrong with it and it has a proven track record.

I did consider an Echo, but couldn't find enough feedback from people using them on a regular basis. I know their trimmers are top of the line, I'm just not sure their chainsaws are on the same level with Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc.

Do yourself a favor and grab some of the Stihl full chisel chains when you buy your saw. These would be in the yellow boxes, not the green. My brother-in-law introduced me to these chains this year. Honestly - the difference between the green "safety chain" and the yellow full-chisel chain is like the difference between a craftsman electric chain saw and the MS310. Well, that may be a slight exageration, but it really is like having a whole new saw. I'll never go back....

Also...get ready to be bitten by the Stihl bug. You're going to need Stihl pants, a Stihl helmet system, Stihl EVERYTHING! ha...

gator21 said:
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm starting to lean towards the 310. Doesn't sound like I can go wrong with it and it has a proven track record.

I did consider an Echo, but couldn't find enough feedback from people using them on a regular basis. I know their trimmers are top of the line, I'm just not sure their chainsaws are on the same level with Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc.

I bought my dad an Echo 360 top handle limbing saw for Christmas. He loves it and I've used it quite a bit. My only complaint is the initial carb tuning was a PITA. I'm not sure if they're saws are on a level with Stihl, but they are the only outfit offering a 5 year warrantee.

I bought an MS 310 with an 18 inch bar 8 years ago and have used it to cut at least 10 full cords of firewood per year every year plus clean up around the property. I am very satisfied with the saw. A year or 2 later dad bought a 360 pro just to make me jealous. I like them both, but I would not have done anything different given the $$ I had to spend at the time. I cut mostly standing dead elm, cutting dead wood seems to be harder on chains than cutting live trees. I had to replace the fuel line a couple of years back and rebuild the carb last year, otherwise the saw has always run like a champ and done what I've asked it to do. As of this year, I need to replace the bar, but I can't complain given the amount of use I've given this saw. Do get the full chisel chain and keep it sharp and you should be happy as long as you don't expect to cut 20" rounds at lightning speed. One of these days I'm going to bite the bullit and get something in the MS441/MS460 range. I was hoping to upgrade before now, but I just can't justify the $$$ as long as the 310 is still running.

Any kick-back problems from the full chisel chain? I'm no rookie at running a saw but have never used the full chisel chain.

gator21 said:
Any kick-back problems from the full chisel chain? I'm no rookie at running a saw but have never used the full chisel chain.
same as any other chain IMO just watch your tip of the bar when bucking

gator21 said:

I noticed absolutely no difference in the kick-back of the two chains. The full chisel is a win win....

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely try the full chisel.

Good to hear positive feedback on the 310. How do the 270 and 280 compare? Also would like some input from Dolmar 5100 users or Husky recommendation. I will be visiting all three dealers on Sat. It may come down to whose service I'm most comfortable with.

Thanks

Depends on the usage.

The 310 is a good saw but it's heavy compared to its pro series competitors.

For a Husky in the same range I would look at the 346XP NE or the 357XP

For the Dolmar the 5100S is a good solid saw, but dealer support is important. You might also look at the Dolmar/Makita 6400/6401.

I should also add that I don't get logs delivered. I have 200+ acres in which to cut so mainly I'm falling dead tress and cutting up what's already on the ground. This means I'm in the brush alot. I don't know if this should factor into my decision or not. Any thoughts?

gator21 said:
I should also add that I don't get logs delivered. I have 200+ acres in which to cut so mainly I'm falling dead tress and cutting up what's already on the ground. This means I'm in the brush alot. I don't know if this should factor into my decision or not. Any thoughts?
yes, it should safety gear were i would look at rather than chain design.Its easy to trip in the woods with alot of under brush.PPE

Good point. I've never paid much attention to PPE with the exception of earplugs. That was until I caught my jeans with the saw. Fortunately it was just my jeans that got ripped. Needless to say, a pair of chaps is also on my list of things to buy on Sat.

gator21 said:
This means I'm in the brush alot. I don't know if this should factor into my decision or not. Any thoughts?
The weight, balance, and handling characteristics of the saw should be factored when trudging through the bush.

gator21 said:
Good point. I've never paid much attention to PPE with the exception of earplugs. That was until I caught my jeans with the saw. Fortunately it was just my jeans that got ripped. Needless to say, a pair of chaps is also on my list of things to buy on Sat.
if your in the brush alot go full wrap chaps and I use head to toe if there is alot to trip on boots chaps helmet system cut prof shirt and gloves its alot cheeper than the DR. your going to trip at some point there is noway around it! "I have done a kick back with a trip Now that was a TRIP"!

LLigetfa said:
gator21 said:
This means I'm in the brush alot. I don't know if this should factor into my decision or not. Any thoughts?
The weight, balance, and handling characteristics of the saw should be factored when trudging through the bush.

That being said. Would I be better off in the long run with a pro style saw? Most are out of my price range but the Husky 346xp, Stihl ms260, and Dolmar 5100S fit that category and my price range.........decisions....decisions.

gator21 said:
LLigetfa said:
gator21 said:

That being said. Would I be better off in the long run with a pro style saw? Most are out of my price range but the Husky 346xp, Stihl ms260, and Dolmar 5100S fit that category and my price range.........decisions....decisions.
all 3 great saws, I have the 260 pro, great balance brake system is very impressive.

My thoughts when picking the MS310 were that if you're not cutting wood to make a living I think it's harder to justify spending the coin on a pro level saw. I don't think you'll find many guys cutting sub-10 cord a year complain about the performance, weight, etc. of any of the mid-level saws you can get from the more popular brands. A couple extra pounds on a saw can make a big difference for the guy cutting all day, every day. But for the guy going out 5, 6, 10 times a year? Not so sure.....

But again, as I stated above, if money was no object I would own an MS361 just because it's cool. I'd also own a brand new Corvette - but not because I need one to haul my saw around. ha.

stee6043 said:
My thoughts when picking the MS310 were that if you're not cutting wood to make a living I think it's harder to justify spending the coin on a pro level saw. I don't think you'll find many guys cutting sub-10 cord a year complain about the performance, weight, etc. of any of the mid-level saws you can get from the more popular brands. A couple extra pounds on a saw can make a big difference for the guy cutting all day, every day. But for the guy going out 5, 6, 10 times a year? Not so sure.....

But again, as I stated above, if money was no object I would own an MS361 just because it's cool. I'd also own a brand new Corvette - but not because I need one to haul my saw around. ha.
the 310 books out at 419.00 that is in the same price range as the 260 pro 5100 and the husky! The 310 has 9 more cc's than the pro saws he's thinking about and "3 pounds heavier". If I wear fighting alot of under brush in the woods weight and balance is going to become very important! IMO out in the open I would go with the more power of the 310!

stee6043 said:

Good point. I was just running through the same thing in my mind..........I'm basically a weekend warrior. Do I really NEED a pro saw.....would be nice to have but does it justify the extra $$$. My old 025 isn't the lightest thing in the world, but I've never had an issue with the weight......so I doubt I would notice any "weight" issue with the mid-range saws.

smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

the 310 books out at 419.00 that is in the same price range as the 260 pro 5100 and the husky! The 310 has 9 more cc's than the pro saws he's thinking about and "3 pounds heavier". If I wear fighting alot of under brush in the woods weight and balance is going to become very important! IMO out in the open I would go with the more power of the 310!

So you're saying the 310 may not be the answer when fighting under brush?

gator21 said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

So you're saying the 310 may not be the answer when fighting under brush?
no its not! go light short bar for better balance and your still in the same price range (16 in. bar in the woods should be perfect) 18 in if you must!

Status
Not open for further replies.