New Coal Burner.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russo81

Mar 3, 2007
Hey whats up everyone....New guy here trying to save some money burning wood and coal in my new used fireplace insert....
(1981 Russon coal/wood) Anyway got a couple of quick questions if you dont mind answering.

1. I dont have a problem getting a nice blazing wood fire going and then i damper down to get the most heat out of the unit, but when do i add coal?....do i have to wait untill the fire dies out and there just red ambers?
2. approximately how much coal do you need to to last all night like 10pm to 5am outside temps in like the teens....
3.Not crazy about leaving for work with coal going but if i need to how unsafe is it?
4. what size coal do you guys use?
5. Being a young married with a kid on the way and buying a house in New York Long Island i would love to save some money in oil my house is about 1800sq foot ranch. Insert has blower, My question is, is it worth the trouble of coal and wood?

Sorry about all the questions I understand if you guys dont want to answer them all just mybe a couple would be good. thanks.

Welcome Russo..
Check your private message folder for messages...I burn coal too I sent you a link...I would have posted it in the forum...just not sure about posting links to other sites here...

Status
Not open for further replies.