new construction and need advice/help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdodge25

Feb 7, 2016
ky
We are building a new home and i cannot figure out what I need. It will be a framed in fireplace not masonry. I have been quoted a ballpark of 6k for a rsf opel install but that is top of the budget and do not need something that big. But my problem is i dont know what type I can get. I see wood burning insert on sites but dont know if i can use it in my house. Id like to have a medium box with blowers and stay under 4k installed. I just dont know what i can get and any websites with info will be greatly appreciated.

You are looking for a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace. At a budget of 4k it will be tough to pull off as most units cost around that not including chimney pipe or install. Most common manufacturers of zc fireplaces are: Fireplace xtrordinair, lennox, kozy heat, Napoleon, quadrafire, and pacific energy.

Other option would be a freestanding woodstove and build a hearth or alcove. That could be done within your budget pretty easily.

Reactions: bigdodge25
You are looking for a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace. At a budget of 4k it will be tough to pull off as most units cost around that not including chimney pipe or install. Most common manufacturers of zc fireplaces are: Fireplace xtrordinair, lennox, kozy heat, Napoleon, quadrafire, and pacific energy.

Other option would be a freestanding woodstove and build a hearth or alcove. That could be done within your budget pretty easily.
Thank you sir. Exactly what i was needing. Ive been loking at some zero clearance ones and they get pricey.

Thank you sir. Exactly what i was needing. Ive been loking at some zero clearance ones and they get pricey.

Yes they are, most will cost you around 6-8k installed. However they do heat like a furnace. I installed a fireplace xtrordinair 36 elite last year, and have been very pleased with its performance.

How hard is this to install ourselves? Ive been looking at the duraplus product and it seems you can get a basic install kit with everything i may need. If i can save on install that will keep it lower for me i would think.

this is the one im looking at.. http://www.efireplacestore.com/sup-wct4820ws.html

can i use the 6" duraplus triple wall pipe with this?

Installation does not look to hateful. I would be sure to double and triple check clearances reading through the manual a few times for framing and facing requirements along with mantel heights.

I would also give your homeowners insurance a call. Sometimes they will not cover you unless a certified installer is used.

Lastly the insert calls for class A double wall or triple wall so you should be fine using either

I would say that if you have the permits, and it gets inspected and signed off on that you would be ok. But then again if something does happen it will come back on you.

BTW don't think that im trying to steer you away from doing it yourself. I did mine on my own. Im just laying out some pro's and con's for you.

I would say that if you have the permits, and it gets inspected and signed off on that you would be ok. But then again if something does happen it will come back on you.

BTW don't think that im trying to steer you away from doing it yourself. I did mine on my own. Im just laying out some pro's and con's for you.
Nah man your all good. Budget is always a killer :) we are thinking of some different options now. thanks for all the help

there's a thread on this site, somewhere, where one of the members has compiled a list of ZC fireplaces. i think his name is matt (i'm bad with names). try looking for that thread on "which ZC fireplace"

I will repost the zero clearance FP list I compiled later today. Prices are difficult to attain thriugh Internet research, so apologies in advance that I don't have the pricing specs.

BTW - Iron has the Heat N Glo Northstar ZC fireplace and I believe he's rather happy with it.

Matt

Attached is my most recently updated list of zero clearance fireplaces.

I hope this helps.
Matt

ZC Fireplace List Specs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.