New Construction - Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coossalmon

May 28, 2021
Oregon
Hello,

I have been reading a lot on these forums about wood stoves but thought I would post for myself. We are building a smallish house (1430sqft) and are looking at having a wood stove installed. This will be my first time owning a wood stove, always wanted one. We have one big kitchen/great room which is where the stove will go. The great room is vaulted up to 12.5' and the bedroom wing is 9' ceilings. We also have a lot of windows which makes location difficult. My questions are:

1. How would you orient the stove?
2. What models would you recommend?
Floor Plan.PNG
Thanks,
Ryan

Welcome Ryan. What part of Oregon is this in? There's a big climate difference between Bend and Brookings or Portland.
Location is hard to tell without knowing the room layout. Is the kitchen/dining area in the large open space? Which location works best for the expected room layout?

Floor Plan.png

How will the stove be used? 24/7 heating or nights and weekends? What is the budget and what stove dealers are within a reasonable distance?

Hey, thank you for the response. We actually live on the south coast in Bandon. Typically about 50 and rainy in the winter and about 60-70 and breezy in the summer. This will be used primarily to heat during the night and weekends. Out of the locations you referenced we were looking at B and D. A is where the kitchen is going and C seemed like the only spot for a TV. Open to suggestions. Also would you corner orient the stove or would you put it flat against the wall? The only reason I say this is because of the windows. I attached a picture for reference if what I am saying does not make sense.

For brands, we actually have access to quite a few: Vermont Castings, Blaze King, HearthStone, Lopi, Kuma, Quadrafire, Pacific Energy, and Regency. That's off the top of my head.

Stove.PNG

I like the stove to be angled into the room so that the fire view can be enjoyed. It's better than TV.

A stove in the 2 cu ft range will be more than adequate. Given the mild winter temperature, I would look at easy-breathing stoves. Draft weakens at warmer temperatures. Look at the midsized Regency and PE stoves for starters. An important thing critical to a successful operation will be fully seasoned firewood. It is very hard to buy this in many areas so the best bet is usually to have it stacked and drying a year ahead of time. Driftwood is not good firewood at all.

I did the same as you years ago. Mine is a corner install at the end wall. 5' of river rock wall walls. The window were located to create the stove corner. To push the stove as far back into the corner I used rear heat shields. The room is an open floor plan, cathedral ceiling, great room, living, kitchen, dining room. The stove is the focal point. The great room made the intense heat from the stove, heat the house well.