New Englander 30-NC Getting Delivered Monday!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is supposed to show up tomorrow. I did the Durango, CO HD deal. That and after a $300 tax credit how can you pass one up? Nice looking set up. Report back with how well it heats.
Yeah it's such a great deal it's crazy. I've been running it since 3, stovetop got up to 500. Basement is 82, first floor is 72 and upstairs is 70. So far stove is fantastic. Most of the paint smell is gone now.

Reactions: bags
Last edited:
I thought the same thing center tree. I sat out there with a woodstove outdoors for a good three hours, if anyone saw me they'd think I was nuts
I wish I would have done that. Mine stunk up the whole house when I broke it in!

I probably will not be using mine until this coming fall so I'll be sure to do the outside burns. I dealt with that nasty paint smell on my P68 because I had to get it into service immediately. Not a big deal but why not if it is easy. Then again you get the urge to get the new toys going so we shall see.

I probably will not be using mine until this coming fall so I'll be sure to do the outside burns. I dealt with that nasty paint smell on my P68 because I had to get it into service immediately. Not a big deal but why not if it is easy. Then again you get the urge to get the new toys going so we shall see.
The outside burn was definitely a good idea that I got off of this site. The only "fumes" I had today were due to the new stove pipe that I used for the install, but a fan and an opened basement window cured that. This stove got warm quick, and definitely pumps out the heat. It's 44" from the sheetrock wall on the left and that wall is hot to the touch! Been burning for over six hours and the first floor is 76 degrees. It's about 32 outside. Not sure if I ever listed chimney stats but I've got 25 feet of chimney, with a chimney cap. Great first day with the stove, definitely looking forward to next winter with this thing. My back hurts, but it's worth it. Goodnight all.

Reactions: beatlefan and bags
It's 44" from the sheetrock wall on the left and that wall is hot to the touch!
Sounds like a good candidate for the optional side shield(s)

That's awesome, Chris! The outside burn will do some good but I bet you get the paint & oils smell again possibly. Each time you burn maybe a little hotter it might burn off just a little more. My P68 got a faint smell on down the road after I thought it was all finished burning off but a very cold snap found a bit more when I cranked it up some more. Hardly any but I noticed it slightly. Just part of the process.

Just think of how nasty that would have been if you wouldn't have looked like you lost your marbles sitting outside talking to your new stove bringing up the temps outside. LOL! Neighbors were probably entertained too.

I checked my tracking number and my stove is in Cincinnati, OH ready to roll my way today. I'm about 34 miles south west of where it is right now but it's possible there are other drops on that truck too. Just waiting for the call. I'm off today and sticking around.

Chris,
I see you are doing two floors with a basement install. What type of SQ FT and layout is your place? The wall 44" away and getting real warm? How warm? Do you have an IR gun? All the brick you have around it is a good deal and a nice heat sink for a little thermal mass to hang onto some of that warmth too and radiate it back out into the room.

I plan on hooking up my outside air and using the pedestal instead of the legs. Glad you are up and rolling!

Bags, I'm heating about 2200 square feet. Stove is in an insulated basement with three registers to let heat upstairs , plus a stairway at the opposite end of the room. Stairs to second floor are directly on top of basement stairs. First floor is pretty open, with t-stat in the room directly above the stove. Second floor hall gets pretty warm usually, and has the t-stat at the end of the hall. Seems to heat pretty well. Lots of hot coals this morning at 6:30 am. With basement temp of 69. Huge improvement over old stove just on the first day. And no I don't have an IR thermometer

Bags, I'm heating about 2200 square feet. Stove is in an insulated basement with three registers to let heat upstairs , plus a stairway at the opposite end of the room. Stairs to second floor are directly on top of basement stairs. First floor is pretty open, with t-stat in the room directly above the stove. Second floor hall gets pretty warm usually, and has the t-stat at the end of the hall. Seems to heat pretty well. Lots of hot coals this morning at 6:30 am. With basement temp of 69. Huge improvement over old stove just on the first day. And no I don't have an IR thermometer
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Time for a 1 week review. This thing heats like crazy, I've been having smaller fires so I've loaded it 3 to 4 times per day, and am using 5 to 8 splits of maple/oak per load. Excessive coal buildup has taught me that I'm reloading too often, so the last two days I've been better about that. I've gotten the stove top up to about 650 so far for a high but was overheating the house at that point so I cut the air back to reduce the temp. Learning curve has been pretty good for me so far, probably because I've done so much reading here about this stove beforehand. For a full days wood usage, ive gone from a full Rubbermaid barrel to about 15 to 20 splits, so I'm definitely happy so far. Next on the list is a woodshed for next season and a steel chimney liner

Status
Not open for further replies.