New, free attic insulation !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Yep, SNOW !

Attachments

• New, free attic insulation !
    IMG_0948.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 948
    IMG_0966.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 952
    IMG_0967.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 947
    IMG_0968.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 946
Better get out there fast! Someone's on your roof stealing your insulation!

No joke, that stuff does keep the house warmer; you've just got to find the balance point where the weight become a problem. I used to shovel snow up around the foundation of my house (back in the day) to keep the floor warmer. It worked.

He's just cleaning around the direct tv dish. It was nothing but snow on the TV :roll:

I feel your pain, but in a different way. It is 62 here today and a fire going in the stove. Temp in the living room is 87 and the window is open. Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. We will probably be back down to 0* in a week.

Ja, that's what I was doing today, except my roof is 12/12 pitch so I have to use a roof rake with 40 feet of handle. It's like a long wet noodle.

Attachments

100_0608 (Medium).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 830
Here's a pic from earlier this Winter.

Attachments

100_0575 (Medium).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 801
ohio woodburner said:
. . . It was nothing but snow on the TV :roll:

:blank:

Yea, I feel for you guys

I moved from MD and while not upstate NY, we did get our share up there. Here is our big snow this year. About 3-4 inches with ice to crust it over. Perfect for catching a little air on the downhill run. :) Gorgeous weekend here in NC with temps in upper 50's.

Attachments

snow play-1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 689
LLigetfa said:
Ja, that's what I was doing today, except my roof is 12/12 pitch so I have to use a roof rake with 40 feet of handle. It's like a long wet noodle.

Pull some off the other side "QUICK", the shed is leaning to the heavy snow side. :bug:
Maybe it's just the picture making it look that way.

Great picture,
gotta keep the wood shed trail open.;)

Attachments

100_0608 (Medium).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 696
WoodpileOCD,

Seriously cute kid alert! Hope you're blowing that picture up and framing it to hang in a place of honor.

BTW, the correct spelling is CDO--alphabetical order, as is right . . .

bogydave said:
LLigetfa said:

Pull some off the other side "QUICK", the shed is leaning to the heavy snow side. :bug:

Great picture,

I was thinking the same.

snowleopard said:
WoodpileOCD,

Seriously cute kid alert! Hope you're blowing that picture up and framing it to hang in a place of honor.

BTW, the correct spelling is CDO--alphabetical order, as is right . . .

Thanks, these are my two oldest grands.

Don't know what CDO stands for

OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Greg looks like your only a town over im in bristol. i guess everyone in ct was cleaning there roofs yesterday. did the same thing.

Attachments

1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 677
    2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 670
Ja, that’s what I was doing today, except my roof is 12/12 pitch so I have to use a roof rake with 40 feet of handle. It’s like a long wet noodle.

My first thought is why don't you guys thay get the heavy snow loads build a steeper pitch roof...but then I noted that yours is 12/12...it may be the picture, or the angle, but that roof sure doesn't look like a 12/12 pitch?
I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering if it was a typo or something?
12 inches of rise in 12 inches of horizontal run would be extremely steep.

Rob

48rob said:
Ja, that’s what I was doing today, except my roof is 12/12 pitch so I have to use a roof rake with 40 feet of handle. It’s like a long wet noodle.

My first thought is why don't you guys thay get the heavy snow loads build a steeper pitch roof...but then I noted that yours is 12/12...it may be the picture, or the angle, but that roof sure doesn't look like a 12/12 pitch?
I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering if it was a typo or something?
12 inches of rise in 12 inches of horizontal run would be extremely steep.

Rob

he wasnt talking about his wood shed for the 12 12 pitch. He was talking about his house in the other picture.

After shoveling snow from that house roof, take note of the overhang. That will probably be all ice and this is what really causes problems. Ice buildup, then some melt and more freeze and where does water go? Ya, some big problems can happen if you are not prepared. Usually in deep snow country there are heated overhangs to reduce the ice buildup.

Ok, here's my problem with this much snow on the roof. The house has a 8/12 pitch with a ridge vent and vents along the fascia board. The gutters are full of ice so the fascia's are blocked and the ridge is snow covered... my attic is not venting! No way I'm getting up there either because I can't get ladder in a position to get up there. When we put on a new roof, I'm going to have soffit vents installed to fix the venting issue. The entry room (8/12 pitch) and garage (12/12 pitch) were built recently and have soffit and ridge vents so no problems with venting.

I've been here 20 years and have never seen this much snow at once on the roofs. Finally some melting going on (35 degrees!) but that's short lived..

Attachments

snow load.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 494
    snow load 2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 496
48rob said:
OOPS!

Thanks for setting me straight!

The house roof does have a good pitch to it...
Ja, was talking about the house roof. The shed was just a warm-up for the BIG job which is still less than half done. The biggest job is the South side (as in the pic) with the valleys. I have to move away all the snow that comes down onto the patio.

Despite a 12/12 pitch, the snow still piles on deep, especially in the valleys. I will pull the snow out of the valleys more frequently than the other sections.

When I see icicles, I think; house needs more attic insulation & hope there is ice/water shield under the shingles on the eves.
Not always the case as the sun can case ice build up too.
The "norm" here is ice/water shield 5' up from the eves. Then if you get ice dams, no leaks.

what you guys need is a metal roof like me....= no shoveling

I was able to clear the snow off my roof in about 2.5 hours. Thank God I dint fall . Today my wife was talking to a neighbor about 4 houses away. She said that they also have snow on the roof , but now they developed a leak- water is going down the wall in the living room by the bay window. She had a contractor come over , first thing he said - we need to clear that roof . Average size raised ranch. Price-------- $ 800 !!!!!

One of my jobs after every snow storm is to shovel the roof . . . partly to lessen the chance of an ice dam forming and causing water to penetrate the house . . . and partly due to the fact that while the snow may be powdery now and not weigh a whole lot all it takes is a day of rain or freezing ice or some wet heavy snow and I'll have a whole lot of weight sitting on top of my house and this cannot be a good thing . . .

For the record, since someone asked, my house has a pretty steep pitch . . . impossible to stand on it without special equipment . . . and the snow still sticks to it . . . now maybe if I had a metal roof vs. asphalt shingle.

bogydave said:
LLigetfa said:

Great picture,

Now THAT'S a good looking wood shed! You've inspired me.

Been here in CT for about 10 years...never seen this much snow on the roof. I gotta get up there today and chip some ice from the gutters. Not sure about getting on the roof itself at this point. I don't want slip off.

Status
Not open for further replies.