New garage stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhorse74

Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2009
The Great Pacific North Wet
St Croix Hastings. I am wondering if the color clashes with my tool box.

Attachments

• Hastings.jpg
    Hastings.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 614
Combustion air intake that close to a door? Looks good but NFPA 211 says no to any solid fuel burning appliance in a garage. A work shop is different but please do not have a flammable in there.

Eric

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]Combustion air intake that close to a door? Looks good but NFPA 211 says no to any solid fuel burning appliance in a garage. A work shop is different but please do not have a flammable in there.

Eric

Is this attached to your home? As Eric said, it may be against code.

My 3 car "Garage" is about 50' x 50' and is Split in half. The garage is one half and the "Shop" is the other half. No door from garage to Shop. Must walk around the back to get into the Shop (Used to be a Mother-in-Law suite-since converted). Thats the only way I got away with it. Being detached and keeping flammable liquids in the opposite side. If it was attached, my Insurance agent would have said "Nope". Some do get there inspector to agree. All depends on the situation I guess. Quite a few on here have them installed and say they have taken the proper avenues (and are attached)

Just a thought... Many people have woodstoves in there garage (I know several) but there homeowners Insurance knows nothing about them.

Other than that..... It does look good. Fancy almost. Much nicer than my 16 yr old beater (but its a beast).

I have quoted NFPA 211 for years. I think it is outdated. It does not take into account the difference between a wood stove and pellet stove. I agree with the wood stove part and disagree with NFPA 211 about pellet. The vent is 4 feet from the door in accordance with the manual.

I understand there are different views on what constitutes are garage etc. etc.; but I wouldn't have a good feeling in this case when right next to the stove were shelves with paint on them. I doubt if your insurance company would look favorably on that either.

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
I understand there are different views on what constitutes are garage etc. etc.; but I wouldn't have a good feeling in this case when right next to the stove were shelves with paint on them. I doubt if your insurance company would look favorably on that either.

Tom C.

I guess I should move the 55 gallon drum of stoddard solvent that is 4' from my pellet stove in my shop, huh? Probably a good idea... come to think of it my old fridge is my paint storage cabinet and it's only two feet away....

Come to think of it I think I smell smoke...

If you have a gas furnace in your garage, there IS an open flame. With a pellet stove, the flame is behind a gasketed door.

Dave

DneprDave said:
If you have a gas furnace in your garage, there IS an open flame. With a pellet stove, the flame is behind a gasketed door.

Dave

A gas furnace is not a solid fuel appliance.

Eric

My NG gas tube heater has an enclosed combustion chamber with outside combustion air... 8' from the floor.

Hey it looks great!! Color matches tool box AND the wall.......

I wonder which my insurance adjuster likes better. That pellet stove or the oxy-acetylene set four feet to the right of that picture? Maybe the TIG welder? How about all that and my reloading bench with powder and primer?

IronFire said:
PJPellet said:
smoke show said:
IronFire said:

I don't see a toolbox.

I thought the same thing. Looks good though!

Not in the picture. It is a bright blue Matco box. Just not sure if the red stove clashes with it

Hey, if you're gonna do it, do it right.................paint the tool box ;-P

xraycer said:
IronFire said:
PJPellet said:
smoke show said:
IronFire said:

I don't see a toolbox.

I thought the same thing. Looks good though!

Not in the picture. It is a bright blue Matco box. Just not sure if the red stove clashes with it

Hey, if you're gonna do it, do it right.................paint the tool box ;-P

Nah, paint the stove Matco bright blue.

Then I'll be happy to comment.

nice stove ...should keep you toasty

Status
Not open for further replies.