New gasket still fails the dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
I have a Quad 5100 which calls for 3/4 inch gasket. I replaced that a couple of months ago and it still fails the dollar bill test. Now I call failing the dollar bill test when you can take a dollar and pull it out the door easily. I have been told by stove guys that if you can't push the dollar bill in the gasket is sealed properly. I would have to disagree with that statement and still hold to what I think most people go by as pulling the dollar bill out.

Anyway I took the nut off the inside of the door handle and re-tightened it back on thinking this would help, still no dice. I am thinking now to put a thicker gasket on than 3/4inch and see if that helps. What do guys think.

I think some member here with a Summit stove and talks like a "Caveman" ugg ugg uses a thicker gasket ;-)

It's because of the shrinking dollar in the world markets. Are you having problems closing the air for the burn or is it just to see if the dollar works?
Ed

I am willing to bet that Quad uses high density gasket rope like Englanders have in them. The stuff at stove stores is low density and high density is nowhere to be found in my couple of years of looking around. The Imperial rope gasket that HD carried two years ago was high density and now is the low density stuff. Use low density on the 30 NC and you can spin door handle all of the way around.

Try $10 yuk yuk

jfk,
I'm wondering about the sequence of the install on the door handle myself. Looking at 2 different Quads i've had to relocate the inside washer to be next to the nut to get them to seal well. Just my experience. You might want to look at how it is assembled.
rn

JFK said:
BrotherBart said:
JFK said:
Is Rutland low density, ...

Yep.

Would using 7/8 or 1 inch make a difference even it is low density
Ja, I have to agree on that Rutland. You need to be real careful not to stretch it as it gets thinner. If you did go oversize, stretching it might be a good thing as it would make it more dense.

LLigetfa said:
JFK said:
BrotherBart said:
JFK said:
Is Rutland low density, ...

Yep.

Would using 7/8 or 1 inch make a difference even it is low density
Ja, I have to agree on that Rutland. You need to be real careful not to stretch it as it gets thinner. If you did go oversize, stretching it might be a good thing as it would make it more dense.

LL,
I guess you stumped me on your reply. Please explain more :red:

Just wanted to update everyone that today I bought some 7/8 gasket and the seal is much better.

The only problem was the stove shop guy was a real jerk for some reason. I guess he didn't like the fact that I know a decent amount about wood stoves and everything I said he had to think about and say that may be true.....

I showed up 2 minutes, yes 2 minutes before 11am and I guess his stove shop was not open yet. Oh sorry that you had to cut 4 feet of gasket rope for me and make money off it >:-( Maybe you shouldn't open the door or put a closed sign on the store. The thing that upsets me is if he only knew how many people I talk to about wood stoves he could have more business and a good person that would stop by a shoot the wood stove sh.. with :) , but no he has to cop an attitude. Well I supported this guy last year and I guess I forgot how he treated me then....but that's all for him. I will gladly drive the extra minutes and support a different stove shop now

Anyway, I am expecting a little longer burn times now and it passes the dollar bill test with flying colors:)

HAPPY NEW YEAR HEARTH GUYS (AND GALS) from a guy that has a serious obsession with firewood, wood stoves, and hearth.com ;-)

^good to hear you found the right material JFK. btw I seem to remember when you got the stove and was surprised to hear it needed a gasket so soon.

When I have to do that I'll probably get enough for 2 gaskets...but it'll have to fail something thicker than a dollar bill. 95% of the time we burn WOT so maybe the thickness of a playing card will be the GO/NO GO gauge...unless I'm convinced otherwise. As far as the store owner coping an attitude I found that in one store around here as well ...strange brew if you ask me.

Hey Savage,
This stove is around 5 years old, it came with the house I bought three years...Bonus deal in my book..

At any rate I put a gasket on last year or maybe 1.5 years ago and it still failed the dollar bill test in some spots but I just lived with as it just ate more wood and I could still easily control the draft. I didn't use this insert that much since I had my big Avalon Olympic in my Florida room...

Now that I sold that Olympic and bought a Lopi Berkshire for that room (should have made that decision in '06 before I bought three different stoves but that is another story :) ) I am using the Quad all the time now, probably around 20 hours a day when it is cold. The furnace usually kicks on around 3 or 4 am which is fine for me as the wood stove does not get heat to all rooms in the house

It seems like using a 7/8 gasket gives me a 100% good seal around the door, I take it as since it is low density it seals better than a 3/4 low density rope that I had on before. I couldn't find any 3/4 high density and the stove guy just turned his head a little and asked "What do mean high density gasket". I will give him a little credit as he saved me 10 dollars because I was going to buy the 1 inch gasket also just to be safe....He said the 7/8 would be plenty and the inch would not allow me to shut the door...As much as it pains me to say, he was right...I just didn't want to come back to this real winner of a stove guy so I wanted to buy a backup just in case.

First fire probably tonight with the gasket as the temps are going to be low enough. I have about six face cords left in my garage that is seasoned so I have to make it last as long as I can...next year I will be putting around 10 face in the garage..that should be good to last me the season for the way I burn. Always learning eh?

JFK said:
It seems like using a 7/8 gasket gives me a 100% good seal around the door, I take it as since it is low density it seals better than a 3/4 low density rope that I had on before. I couldn't find any 3/4 high density and the stove guy just turned his head a little and asked "What do mean high density gasket". I will give him a little credit as he saved me 10 dollars because I was going to buy the 1 inch gasket also just to be safe....He said the 7/8 would be plenty and the inch would not allow me to shut the door...As much as it pains me to say, he was right...
One mistake some people make is they inadvertently stretch the rope as they are installing it and create thin spots. Think about playdoh... the braided rope does the same thing, like the Chinese handcuffs example I gave. As you stretch the rope it also gets more dense so depending on how much irregularity there is, high spots could prevent a good seal.

The original 5/8ths rope on my RSF lasted for 10 years with periodic adjustments to the door hinges and latch. I tried to order OEM rope from an out-of-town dealer but he didn't come through for me (again, lousy dealer attitude) so I used locally acquired Rutland rope instead which is less dense. A year later I will have to replace the Rutland rope as it doesn't hold a seal anymore.

I'm contemplating trying Imperial rope this time but the local stores only have it in precut blister packs and for some strange reason they don't specify how long they are.

http://www.imperialgroup.ca/product.cfm?navcategory=5&category=16&product=367

Status
Not open for further replies.