new guy from Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is no fun. If you have to ... and can ... drill from the outside in ... then you can use (at least on our rented unit) a garden hose to supply water through the drill bit, to keep it flushed out and cool. To get the hole at the right height, for the stove, I opted to drill from the inside out and, without a water drain nearby, I used a spritz bottle to spray water in the hole as we went. Between that and the usual problems with rental tools (bad drill clutch on this one) ... it took darn near 2 hours. Drill was 18 lbs + the 16 or so long core bit.

In any case .... in this area, I had to be at least 3' from an operational window, and a certain distance away from the bottom of a deck (If a deck was present), and 3' off the ground. If you can pick your spot properly, then you should be able to go through the upright wood area, over the sill plate that sets on top of the concrete or block wall. In my case, the building inspector was great, and probably appreciated me calling to get the codes right before just slapping it in. It saves us both time and headache! :) (If you go the inspected route, of course). Again ... here .. if I didn't get it inspected, any 'issues' that would result in an insurance claim, involving the stove ... would be rejected. Some building codes seem silly, but most are for our protection, and I guess I don't mind jumping through the hoops.

Back to michiganpelletburner .... nice job on the tile and stone work! ... and looks like you have a nice flame going, there! It might be the exposure ... but it looks a lot hotter than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.