New guy here with some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Builtupbowtie

Oct 5, 2010
Ohio
Hi guys! I've been reading the forums here for a while and finally took the time to sign up. Anyway I'm pretty new to heating with wood and this seems like a great place to learn. I'm looking to get a stove put in within the next month and have been researching them for about a year on and off. My house is about 1800 square ft, single floor ranch on a slab so no basement, open floor plan from family room to dining room to kitchen and 3 bedrooms down a hallway. I am pretty much set on a jotul Oslo in the brown majolica finish. I will be placing the stove in a central location in the family room in front of an 8by 8 wall which will be covered with Owens corning cultured stone. My main question is I want to keep it as close to the wall as possible so I will be using the heat shield and double wall pipe to give me 6in of clearance from the back of the stove. Are there any benefits to double wall pipe other than clearance issues? From my understanding single wall provides more radiant heat. Also what is the best brand of pipe to use and why? The stove shop has duravent written down on my estimate. I would love to hear any tips and tricks for the Oslo as well from what I have read it's suppose to be a good stove. Thank you

Nice stove, looks like youve been doing your home work! My stove was put in with dura vent and double wall. Five years and still working. + or - a few do to CRS.

"double wall" helps clearances and draft (less heat to the space means more for your chimney). Just keep in mind that unless you inspect it, at some point in the future, that double wall pipe will become "single wall" pipe. Even though i installed double wall pipe, I kept single wall clearances to be on the safe side. Just keep in mind that reducing clearances isn't a once and done thing.

Congrats on your soon to be purchase of an Oslo . . . it's a fantastic stove . . . and it performs as good as it looks.

Heating8 pretty much nailed it . . . double wall is good for reducing clearances and some say it helps with drafting. Like Heating I too installed double wall pipe, but erred on the side of caution and gave myself a little extra room . . . better safe than sorry is my mantra. I suspect single wall may give off some more heat for the room, but I also suspect a large part of the heat comes off the stove thanks to the secondary burn.

I went with ICC Excel for my Class A, but a lot of folks here have used Duravent with no complaints.

Tips and tricks . . . dunno . . . what are you looking for . . . I have a recently updated thread on how to start a fire in the Oslo . . . I can also tell you that graphite powder is useful in keeping the air control lever working smoothly since it sometimes binds up a bit . . . and the most annoying habit of the Oslo is the tendency to drop ash out the front door on to the ash lip.

Builtupbowtie, welcome to the forum.

Just as a little prod here, but have you done anything to already have some fuel on hand? Burning wood is not like burning oil where you can just call for a delivery. You might indeed get a delivery and the salesman will tell you it is seasoned and ready to burn. Experience has shown that 99% of the time they do not know what properly seasoned wood is. Wood needs to sit in a pile, after it has been split, with wind hitting it for at least a year before it is ready to burn. Most wood sellers might tell you the wood was cut last year and then they split it just before delivery. That will not give you very good fuel as wood needs to be split in order to dry so sitting in a pile unsplit is meaningless.

Good luck.

Double wall will keep the flue gases warmer. That can help the stove draft better in warmer weather and when the flue system is short. It will also help reduce creosote build up in the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.