new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m12

Nov 12, 2013
adirondacks
Hi. I installed a woodstove in my house. Its an avalon rainer 945. The chimney just goes straight up. Single wall for about 6 ft then stainless double wall through the roof.I've been using the stove about a month. I'm concerned about chimney fires after looking around this web site.do I need to take the chimney apart and check it. I'm burning only seasoned wood. Am I just paranoid?

The avalon is a very clean burning stove,

did you install it carefully following the manual for both the stove and the pipe? (if so you have nothing to worry about!)

you could pop up on the roof, pull the cap and shine a light down the stock to check for glazy tar like soot, but i bet all you find is dry powder.

Welcome aboard BTW

you could pop up on the roof, pull the cap and shine a light down the stock to check for glazy tar like soot, but i bet all you find is dry powder.

Just about that easy. You're not paranoid. If you're a careful sort, it's a good thing. Like he said, a thin layer of powdery soot is normal. Anything else you should look into. Take a screwdriver with you on the roof, too. The cap probably has a strap that has to be loosened.

You can clean your own chimney with a product like "Soot Eater". It's easy enough to use on a regular basis if you are so inclined.

Since you mentioned seasoned wood, have you confirmed it's actual moisture content?

Have not checked the wood for m.c but I know its been stacked (covered) out side for over three years. I looked down the chimney yesterday. Not sure what to look for, seemed shiney but no build up.also the stove is older, made in 97. Yes it installed to all the proper specs.

That's what I read that got me all worked up.
Sorry about that!

If all you see is shiny metal, you're good. After a while you may start to see a little soot but that's to be expected. If things start to build up, you'll see it. It's good practice to go up there a few times a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.