New Harman stove paint smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snodays700

Feb 9, 2009
central maine
I just bought a new harman P68, I started my stove for the first time. Is it normal for the stove to have smoke come off the surface and have an awful fume smell and my co2 detector to go off?

I have a XXV and the paint smell worried me for the first few days but it eventually went away. I did not have any smoke off of the surface of the stove though. Not sure if thats normal - didn't set my CO2 detector off either.

Some smoke is normal as the new stove's paint "cures". The worst of it normally only last a few hours. Open some doors and windows. Wood smoke smell is not normal and would indicate a need for some hi-temp silicone on the vent pipe joints. Maybe by the time you see this, the majority of the new stove smoke has ran its course.

Congrats on the new stove and yup its normal to smell like that when new...leave them windows open and burn the stove on a medium fire..nothing to hot..I think I set mine up for Stove Temp 3 Feed rate 3 and burned it like that till I ran outta a hopperful of pellets...the 1st few hrs were terrible but the next day I had little to no smell..

that carbon dioxide sensor will continue to go off because carbon dioxide is in the smoke while the paint cures(according to various websites regarding high temp paints)..so take out the batteries for now and leave them windows wide open till the smoking is over

Are you talking about a carbon MONOxide detector? CO?

Do you have one of the CO detectors with a digital readout? I recommend them. I had someone put their carpet cleaning truck too close to my garage, noticed the smell, and checked the CO to discover that it was slowly increasing before it even got to sounding the alarm.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.