New Harman TL2.0 and TL2.6 Freestanding Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
2.0 cu. ft. and 2.6 cu ft.

I am losing count. Would these be the Corey 4 and the Corey 5?

I'm sure they are great stoves, but stating that a 2 cu ft stove will heat 2,900 sq ft is... um...stretching the bounds of believability, to put it kindly.

Sounds like marketing just penciled out the max btus with a super-insulated house.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like marketing just penciled out the max btus with a super-insulated house.

And that super-insulated house being located in Miami...

Yeah, I think these are Corie 4 and Corie 5.

Unfortunately I agree about the square footage heated. I pleaded with marketing to not list the stoves this way. They've decided to list maximum heating capacity as the ABSOLUTE maximum square footage the stove can heat, i.e. a super insulated house in a mild climate.

SmokingAndPoking said:
Yeah, I think these are Corie 4 and Corie 5.

Unfortunately I agree about the square footage heated. I pleaded with marketing to not list the stoves this way. They've decided to list maximum heating capacity as the ABSOLUTE maximum square footage the stove can heat, i.e. a super insulated house in a mild climate.

Completely understand, and I am sure they are great stoves, but when you overshoot specs to that degree all it causes is a customer service issues and unhappy customers. As an example, see this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80650/

Do you know what is the difference between the Fire Dome vs the Fire Dome Plus?

I hope the innards are built a little more stout than in the past.

MishMouse said:

The material is the same, but the package is now servicable and replaceable from the front. Also, it now has a protective rain cap to prevent it from water and also to protect it from rough chimney brushing. The new system also requires only two bolts to be removed to replace the entire combustion system.

Todd said:
I hope the innards are built a little more stout than in the past.

I would hope so too Todd. Harman has been dedicated to the secondary combustion package technology for quite a while and we are always learning ways to improve. The "guts" of these stoves should be able to withstand years of operation.

I do like how they separated the top door operation from the damper.
The prior arrangement sometimes gets off track.

The main reason why I was asking was, if the plus system is better then the one that is installed in my TL300, the next question would have been can I get the plus installed on a TL-300. I owned this stove for a few years so far, and some of the issues I have seen is that the system can get plugged causing it to function improperly and that cleaning it requires the removal of the front bricks and the replacement of the shoe brick gasket.

I also see they re-designed the andirons, mine last year experienced a corrosion issue.

I like my TL-300 and i wouldnt want it any smaller.

SmokingAndPoking said:
MishMouse said:

The material is the same, but the package is now servicable and replaceable from the front. Also, it now has a protective rain cap to prevent it from water and also to protect it from rough chimney brushing. The new system also requires only two bolts to be removed to replace the entire combustion system.

Sounds like they simply made the system easier to service and replace, which seems kind of an admission that it is going to NEED to be to be easily/often serviced and replaced (maybe because they didn't re-design the system or strengthen the materials?). On one hand I'm glad they now acknowledge it's a system that will require some maintenance, but on the other hand it would be nice if they were engineering a substantially improved second-generation Fire Dome.

At least they have done a better job than Lopi and VC originally did with this technology. But I wonder if the VC 2in1 is now the leader in quality for this type of stove, with its sturdier refractory package?

Status
Not open for further replies.