New Here... Need Help Choosing Location for 2nd Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
Let me start off by saying what an incredible wealth of info I've found on this site. I've been reading pages and pages of threads trying to take in as much info as I can since I am new to woodburning.

We bought our first house this past summer, a 2500 sqft bungalow. The house has an existing masonry chimney. I found a great deal on a Osburn 1600 insert and installed in right away. I saw this insert was rated for up to 1600 sq ft and being new to this, I took that at face value, not realizing actual heating area is much smaller. Now that we're getting into the cooler months (-10 to -30C) I'm quickly realizing this insert isn't heating nearly as large an area as I had hoped. I'm having trouble keeping the family room at 20 degrees, burning almost 24/7. I'm thinking about installing a second free standing stove and am looking for help on placement. Our house has 2 furnaces and the furnace on the bedroom half is constantly kicking in. I'm trying to figure out what is the best location for the second stove to help heat that half of the house mostly, as well as assist the Osburn in bringing up the temps on this half. My 2 proposed locations are marked in Green and the Osburn is Red.

I also am looking for suggestions for a stove, but I think that will be a separate thread. Anyways, let me know what you think about my proposed locations or other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

scan0001.jpg

Please ignore my poor sketch. Drawn mostly to scale...

I'm leaning towards A myself. Already have visions of a nice hearth, mantle... thinking to make it another focal point.

Again though, main concerning is getting heat down to the bedrooms.

A or B.

Hi there and welcome to the forums.

You mentioned your disappointment with the coverage of your Osburn stove. If you do a search on the forum you will see many threads explaining how coverage works for wood burning stoves. For example, your Osburn 1600 will cook someone out of their 2,500 Sq ft well insulated house whereas someone else with a 1,000 Sq Ft house will complain theirs don't put out the heat.

It all depends on your house insulation, construction, how many windows, ceiling heights, prevailing winds, location etc. etc. etc.

I work for Osburn so if you have any questions please shoot me a quick email.

Thanks. I have read many threads about that. I know in my situation, it's a combination of lots of windows, which are all older and slightly drafty, plus just asking the Osburn to heat a much larger area than it is capable of heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.