new insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techie03

Oct 7, 2009
Southern NH
I'm looking into having an Quad 1200i installed, right now I have a 25 year old wood burning ZC, Majestic model mbd36. The hearth and mantel were completely redone last year, and I'm not looking to hack them up if I can avoid it. The dealer mentioned I could cut away parts of my ZC's floor and remove things like doors, ceramic brick etc. in order to fit the unit. I'm a little confused about the dimensions required for clearance and how much material will actually be removed.

For instance, the measurement "A" for the ZC install (page 9, figure 9.2 of the PDF) http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/installManuals/man_1200i.pdf
my measurement is 19.5" (this is a rough number as I have yet to remove the ceramic brick backing) the required clearance is obviously 22" - Here's my confusion, from the look of the unit, there are two "layers" if you will, I can see from the top venting that an air pocket exists between the inner and outer layers of the ZC. If the installer was to cut just the inner layer, then I could see there being more than enough space for the 1200i - When then say "rear shroud" do they mean re-using parts of my ZC to meet code, or adding more material on inside?

Any one with a cut/drop insert install experience?

Thanks All!

Let me just start with this, the CB1200i is not typical for Quad, as far as ZC / built-in installs go. There are all sorts of extra parts you have to order, shroud kit, vent adaptor, floor protector, etc...

We typically only cut the floor of the ZC boxes out. But if you remove the back refractory and cut out the floor, the back inner firebox wall is not really doing anything usefull anymore so that might as well be gone also.

So, it sounds like I have the option of removing the whole inner layer of the ZC to fit what ever insert I end up going with, no? I thought somewhere in the quad documents it mentioned that you shouldn't remove any parts that can't be removed with just screws, but then it went on to talk about optionally cutting the floor, so I'm not so sure. It appears that I have some sort of smoke shelf toward the front of the firebox (looks like its just a vent, front to back ends before the flue opening) I can't see a way to remove that with out cutting, but that piece seems to be restricting the insert height as well.

I wonder if the wood burning inserts also allow for cutting the ZC floor, I would almost rather keep wood as an option plus my home owners association requires an annual chimney inspection which I imagine would be way easier if the insert was wood.

Never seen a wood insert where you can modify the firebox. All the ones we sell only allow a small modification, which is removing a smoke deflector if attached with screws. You cannot even remove the brick refractories.

Each pellet insert will be different. Some may not allow modification of the firebox. I know all the Quads do. You can remove the floor, but the top area you should leave alone, except the smoke deflector. They are worried if you start cutting the top of it apart it will change clearances and the heat from the insert could start framing on fire. If left in tact it should cool just as it did when it was a functional ZC box and any heat from the pellet insert in that area would not exceed what the ZC box is tested for.

Status
Not open for further replies.