1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Pooh

Mr Pooh New Member

Loc:
    Central Arizona
    Hello All,

We just had our first stove, a Quad Castile, installed two days ago. One of the salesmen did the install because the regular installer
    was sick. We have noticed a strong wood burning oder through the house along with a little eye burning. Is this normal and something
    we have to get used to, or is there a chance the installer did not do too good of a job? I cant feel any leaks behind the stove which is
    where the smell is the strongest.

He has the vent going straight through the wall and extending about a foot and a half out with an exhaust cap in the end.

Thanks for any input.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
  3. BignBeefy

BignBeefy Member

Loc:
    Sandown,NH
    Did he use high temp sealant? I installed my own,first time and I went straight out. Over 18 inches,even lost power the next day and no smoke in the house LOL

I woke up panicing for nothing,althought I bought a p68 and I guess the gaskets work well:)

Did they burn the stove in before delivery? Could be that too,my dealer preburned my unit

Ciao
  4. JimmyD

JimmyD New Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    When my CB1200i was installed and the installer did the initial firing of the unit, he was successful in triggering my ADT firealarm system. Noticeable light haze throughout the house and a less then pleasant smell of the stove paint curing.

Good luck with your unit,
    Jim
  5. flueinc

flueinc New Member

Loc:
    porter me.
    Read your owners manual I think the quads need a 5or more foot rise to run right
  6. Mr Pooh

Mr Pooh New Member

Loc:
    Central Arizona
    Went back to the dealer today. He said no rise is needed.
    I am beginning to think he does not know what is is talking
    about. He is sending out a new installer to look at it
    this week. I think I will insist on a five foot rise no mater
    what he says.

Thanks everyone.
  7. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I would insist on at least the 5' rise as well. I never thought at all about having a straight out connection. They actually did an 8' rise on mine. Good Luck.
  8. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    He is right, no rise is required. Did they tell you about the initial burn-off required on the unit? For the first couple of uses its going to make a oil/paint burning smell and it will burn your eyes. Also many time you will get a slight pellet burning smell upon start-up. If the installer did not seal the first pipe joint to the unit with HT silicone you are probably getting a constant smoke leak.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.