New Installation Verification and Repair Form

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started implementing our new verification form for ALL service calls, thought I'd share it with you all. Rather than explain all of the stuff I'm tracking, you guys look it over and ask questions and I'll give explanations.

Attachments

• Copy of stove verification form.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 296
Seems thorough. If I were to call on help, I'd be impressed by that.

Hi Scott

I would change:
"A "PASSED" designation means that all your installation is correct"
To
"A "PASSED" designation means that all your installation is in compliance"

Just my 2 cents but seems like an important issue.

Example:
The pellet stove venting could be "correctly" installed into a block chimney. However if another appliance is also vented into the same block chimney then it is not "In Compliance" with the local building codes!

No. You can still have something that is correct but fails in performance. Not just looking for safety here.

That is true but the sheet goes on to say not to use it if it fails.

"If you received a "FAILED"
designation above, your appliance should not be used until the changes have been made for compliance."

If the stove fails due to performance then the stove still can be used!
Also according to your definition of correct, the stove may be in compliance.
If that is the case then you must change compliance above to correct! Then if you do change it to correct, it is very ambiguous if the stove can still be used!

In Fact, I would change all Pass/Fails to Compliance/Non Compliance. This is not grade school! That way the customer is not offended or thinks he is being marked down.

You can still have recommendations for improvements to performance or easier cleaning but as a professional you should just go by the local codes and stove manual and the NFI codes.

You can actually state down the bottom that compliance means it meets all NFI codes, the stove manual install recommendations and the local building codes. Then there is no question what is wrong and if not corrected and a fire occurs you are not responsible!

That is how I would change it to CYA ! ! ! :)

Also if the form shows all aspects are in compliance and what compliance means then a customer can show the completed form to the fire inspector or insurance inspector for easy permitting and insurance approval!

Had my first "FAILED" stove today and got a change order for $170, customer wasn't offended, they were happy that I caught it and were upset that it could have been installed and inspected as ok. Created a $170 change order, seems like the form is working great.

Good job Scott... Sounds like business is good. Lots of contracts this year. A nice mobile workplace...

Your living the life my friend ;)

I like your form...though I think it needs a unicorn or something on there. People like visuals, and unicorns...so it only makes sense.

and a rainbow...
Cuz gosh darn it....people like you!

This looks like a fantastic way to raise the stakes with any/all competition (especially the hacks)

Are you responsible as a tech/business owner for any fires and such if it happens after you left the premesis??
If so these could prove invaluable.

Cuz gosh darn it....people like you!

This looks like a fantastic way to raise the stakes with any/all competition (especially the hacks)

Are you responsible as a tech/business owner for any fires and such if it happens after you left the premesis??
If so these could prove invaluable.
Exactly right. Without it, it's a he said she said and a third party will decide. No way. I do my job, but just because the homeowner installed wrong, shouldn't prevent me from cleaning or repairing...I just cannot test fire it until you make these corrections, but the choice is yours. I told you not use it and you agreed....here's your signature.

Reactions: Defiant
Exactly right. Without it, it's a he said she said and a third party will decide. No way. I do my job, but just because the homeowner installed wrong, shouldn't prevent me from cleaning or repairing...I just cannot test fire it until you make these corrections, but the choice is yours. I told you not use it and you agreed....here's your signature.
X1000000, Homeowner needs local/town building official to sign off before firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.