New Jotul 550 Rockland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodheat

Hearth Supporter
Feb 29, 2008
Ct.
Newly installed on Thursday. We have burned 4 fires in it so far working our way up to higher temps. So far the max temp we have gone to is 400 reading the small metal channel by the handle with an ir thermometer (that is the hottest spot). Tonight we are going to burn the first full fire.

I attached some photos of the unit. As you can see in the pictures the bottom surround is not installed and there is a picture of it broken. When I was putting it together and tightening the bolt that holds the two pieces together the end piece just snapped off. I didn't even have it that tight. I don't know if it is just my piece or if they are all like this, but there two raised ridges on one part with the hole in the center and when you tighten the bolt it does not make contact underneath to the hole it is going in to. this creates a pressure point in between the two ridges and snap. Be very careful when you are assembling those twp parts. Luckily the dealer said that it could have been a defective piece and they are ordering me a new lower right surround part.

Has anyone developed any good burning procedures for this unit yet such as air control settings vs. burn temps vs. how much wood? So far I have just been putting a couple small pieces in at a time to keep it from getting to hot while it seasoned.

Jotul 550

Attachments

• image0001.jpg
    image0001.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 611
  • image0002.jpg
    image0002.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 553
  • image0003.jpg
    image0003.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 498
  • image0004.jpg
    image0004.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 521
Nice job. ;-)

I don't have much info. for you as I am at the beginning end of the learning curve with my unit too.

I found it helpful reading what other Jotul 450 burners have written. Their responses can be found on my thread that has my pictures posted on it.

I have not loaded my insert up yet because I am afraid of a run away fire (after reading numerous threads here where that has happened without any warning...) and don't feel like I have a handle on what to do if I suspect that happening. ( I did know what to do with my other unit - I simply turned the blower on and the insert temp. would drop. I don't know if that will work on this unit.) I am fishing for answers to that question on another thread.

Our days have been warm here too so I usually stop burning by mid morning. Tomorrow we are supposed to get snow so I will see how it handles burning all day.

I continue to play with the air control. Each fire brings different responses so I have no formula, as yet, to give you. I just run outside a lot and check to see what is coming out of my chimney. If it is putting out any smoke I open the air up until my stack is clear again.

I love this insert BUT respect it's capacity for generating a lot of energy in the form of fire so...

For now, I am proceeding with caution and asking a lot of questions. :smirk:

I'd love to hear how you are doing as you begin your 'real' burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.