New Jotul wood stove -- F 370 contemporary style

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spirilis

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Baltimore, MD
http://www.youtube.com/jotulna
They officially support the use of BioBricks and other compressed sawdust products in this stove, first time they've done that for a USA-sold stove!

Nice kindling burner.

Looks like he knows about top down fires and the advantage of them . . . not quite sure why he would want to keep "graduating to a larger log as the fire gets more mature" . . . I just start out with the larger splits and rounds and build the top down fire on top . . . seems a lot easier and more efficient instead of re-opening the door multiple times to keep going up in size with the splits.

Hmm, well, the guy does say that the stove is generally designed to have wood stacked upright against the back teepee-style. I'd imagine it'd be a little awkward trying to pile kindling on top of the splits when the splits are already standing up (at an angle)? I guess it could be done; big splits in the back, kindling towards the front but I dunno how well it'd work.

like alot of contemporary units, this one accepts a boy scout style teepee stack. With all the skamol they put in this, it should hande bio-brick energy ok, but be ready for alot of ash removal....

what do you mean by a lot of ash removal? I use biobricks (or something similar) and the ash buildup isn't bad... heck this past winter I went months without removing ashes. Although with this unit the ash pan looks rather shallow so it might need frequent tending, but it still looks viable. Shame I won't have the money to do a woodstove makeover this year (or even next probably). Could definitely stand to get rid of my old smoke dragons.

If you use low compression logs or bricks, they burn up quickly and create a lot of ash. Kind of like a big cigar. High compression bricks and logs are the opposite. They burn long and create little ash.

Don't know how long his gloves will last the way he's holding them in the flame while loading. I wonder if wood has ever burned down and fallen forward against the glass? Not downing, just wondering.It's BIG glass.

spirilis said:
what do you mean by a lot of ash removal? I use biobricks (or something similar) and the ash buildup isn't bad... heck this past winter I went months without removing ashes. Although with this unit the ash pan looks rather shallow so it might need frequent tending, but it still looks viable. Shame I won't have the money to do a woodstove makeover this year (or even next probably). Could definitely stand to get rid of my old smoke dragons.

small firebox = not much room for ash to build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.