New Member, and I have a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecbreed

Sep 3, 2008
Central Mass
Hi Everyone,
I have been learking for some time. This forum is wonderful. My family burned wood for many years at our old house. We moved 5 years ago, and I brought my woodstove (hearthstone) with me. We never had it installed (no chimney) and were origionally going to sell it, but things have changed and now I find we are going to need it (long depressing story), but I don't have a chimney. I have been looking at the prefabs, but they are so darn expensive. I have contacted a couple of installers to get quotes but haven't been able to get anyone to come out so I am not sure how much pipe I will need. I guess my first question is are there any places that you have found to purchase the chimney that are reasonably priced? And are there any grants/or programs like masssave that this would qualify for financial assistance?

If you do a google search for metal chimney you will find a lot of online sales.
Read here until your eyeballs bleed, then make an informed purchase online, then read more, then invite brother/cousin/BIL/neighbor - who are handy over to do the install. Check local codes, stick with them and get it inspected.
Enjoy the money you saved, and the pile of money you will continue to save.
Keep asking lots of question here.

'FRank

Welcome. If you can describe the installation we can be of more help. Is this going to be an interior or exterior flue? Is this a single or multiple story home?

Not sure of your local options, but typically Home Depot, Ace HArdware and (midwest) Menards have everything one needs for a "regular" chimney install. Prices on Class A pipe (chimney) vary outrageously. For a benchmark, a 3ft length of 6" ID class A insulated pipe costs less than $70. I have seen prices at stove shops more than 3x higher. You may need 10 ft (on the low end) if you have a low pitched roof and a ranch style house. Other extreme may be an install on an external wall (going through the wall horizontally) which may require 24 ft or more. So the biggest spend will be on the class A pipe.

Besides the class A pipe and fittings, most of the other stuff is less than $30 per piece (raincap, flashing, storm collar, attic radiation shield, trim ring (ceiling), class A to stove pipe adapter, single or double wall stove pipe etc.

Not the cheapest place, and shipping adds to the bill, but you can at least make up your component list here: http://www.ventingpipe.com/

Be sure to use everything on the class A pipe from a single vendor, since nobody has the same pipe end interfaces (straights, elbows, raincap, stovepipe adapter). The same applies to the single or double wall connecting pipe (black pipe).

The chimney install is not a particularly difficult job, unless you have nowhere to go (first floor on 2 or 3 story building with no existing fireplace or chase). For those places, I defer to the professhanulls... For a regular ranch style building anyone can do it and meet code requirements. First be sure to site the stove within its clearance limitations, decide on single wall or double wall connector pipe (will make a big difference in most cases to the stove clearance) and go. Check to be sure your stove position doesn't happen to co-incide with a rafter in the roof, thats bad...

Best of luck

Yea- everything KeithO said-
I bought all my DuraVent chimney online through Northern Products.
It still cost money- but was the best price I could find.
Bought all the interior Single wall pipe from my local Hardware/Stove dealer, cuz they had extra heavy (16 gauge)
pipe- and you can get a selection of couplers...then return what you don't use. Also like to do business with the locals
to help keep them around.
Don't know of any grant/ assistance programs...but sounds like a good idea.

One more thing-
Most installers are so busy now.... I doubt that you would be able to get one to do 'a quote'
They don't want to travel ( gas, time, etc...), if it's not a sure thing for them.

And 'Welcome' - to the world of wood burning nuts !

ecbreed said:
Hi Everyone,
I have been learking for some time. This forum is wonderful. My family burned wood for many years at our old house. We moved 5 years ago, and I brought my woodstove (hearthstone) with me. We never had it installed (no chimney) and were origionally going to sell it, but things have changed and now I find we are going to need it (long depressing story), but I don't have a chimney. I have been looking at the prefabs, but they are so darn expensive. I have contacted a couple of installers to get quotes but haven't been able to get anyone to come out so I am not sure how much pipe I will need. I guess my first question is are there any places that you have found to purchase the chimney that are reasonably priced? And are there any grants/or programs like masssave that this would qualify for financial assistance?

Check to see if there's a Tractor Supply company nearby. That's where I got my 6" Simpson DuraPlus chimney last year, and it was about 1/3 the price that a stove shop wanted.
They might not have their wood burning stock on display yet though. If you can wait 'till they put it on the floor, Oct. I would imagine, you'll save quite a bit.

I will need to go up 2.5 stories. thru an exterior wall. We cannot do it ourselves. My husband has been out of work since April when he applied for disability, and cannot go up a ladder. Other than that it is myself and my 2 teenage daughters. I have some friends that could come and help but, cost is an issue. I cannot even get anyone to come and give me a quote to have it professionally done so I am not sure how much money I will need.

I suspect the stove flue installation would be in the $1500 to 2000 range depending on what is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.