New Member with Old Question: What type of stove to buy??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarazita

Jun 15, 2011
Southern California
Hello, and thanks to all in advance. I have been lurking for some time, trying to research what type of stove to buy to replace the one that we currently have. I know this is not an easy question to answer without A LOT of info. I will try to provide as much as I can:

Home: About 3000 sq feet and three levels, each roughly 1000 sq feet. 1st floor is 2x6 construction and well insulated. 2nd and 3rd floors are log construction. The logs are about 8" thick. Windows are original on 2nd and 3rd floor, with storm windows on the 2nd floor windows. 2nd floor is mainly two large rooms with large access points connecting each room, and a staircase leading to 3rd floor. 3rd floor has 4 bedrooms. Cabin was built in 1980.

Home location: 5200 feet high in mountains of Southern California. Snow and freezing temps common, but snow doesn't stay long. Average, low temps in Winter are probably in the 20s to 30s.

Current Heating Sources: Propane central heating furnace with ducts to every room in cabin. We don't want to use this system at all, if possible. 1st floor has a Phoenix pellet stove which does an adequate job of heating the 1st floor. 2nd floor has a 1981 Dutchwest India wood stove Model FA264CL. (This is the stove in the pictures and the one we want to replace. The heat shield at the back is degrading, the grate on the bottom is burnt through, and we cannot get parts for it.) There is also a Heatilator Mark 123 fireplace on the 2nd floor. This does not provide much heat to the floor and we don't use it much. Only propane furnace central air system currently heats 3rd floor.

What is Important to me (in somewhat order of importance):
New stove will need to heat 2nd and 3rd floors (about 2000 sq feet)
Ease of operation, low maintenance, ease of cleaning
Reputable company that will be there when I need parts
Ease of installation into current location with current 8" ducting
"Traditional Look" preferred but not mandatory
Steel or Cast Iron material
Cost $2500 (preferably lower)
Made in USA preferred, but not a deal breaker

Pictures:
The pictures that I have attached are only of the 2nd floor where the stove will be located. The pictures hopefully give a good idea of the install location, the 2nd floor rooms, and the stairs leading up to the third floor.

Stoves that I have been looking at on the Internet:
Lopi Endeavor
Alderlea T5
Jotul Oslo or Rangely
Englander 30-NC
U.S. Stove 2500

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it provides enough information to get some advice on what brand and model of stove to buy. Any suggestions, comments, concerns, etc. are much appreciated!

Thanks again,
Bill

Attachments

• Cabin 004.jpg
    Cabin 004.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 689
  • Cabin 005.jpg
    Cabin 005.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 681
  • Cabin 008.jpg
    Cabin 008.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 668
  • Cabin 013.jpg
    Cabin 013.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 700
  • Cabin 014.jpg
    Cabin 014.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 674
PE Alderlea T6.

No matter what you replace that old stove with, I wouldn't expect too much effect on the 3rd floor temp unless you burn the hell out of the stove on the second floor. Keeping the 8" flue (BTW, have you had it inspected/cleaned lately?) limits your choices these days, as most of the stoves on the market are 6". That might work to your advantage, actually...fewer options from which to choose. Rick

Is that stove venting into a masonry chimney? If so, installing a 6" liner opens up a lot of options. Not a lot of stoves venting into 8". Blaze King, Buck, Country Flame off the top of my head. Most don't like the looks of the BK, but it might be a good fit. Maybe even in your price range on that side of the country.

Nice place, by the way.

Super nice home you have.

Agree with the 8 in flue, narrows choices (hearthstone equinox has 8 as well)
I bet a larger stove would be capable of getting heat upatairs, but maybe an insert on you third floor would fit that bill. I would justify where yoy spend most of your time and put the nicer heater there.

Then again you may want to consider a wood sized dumb waiter to haul wood to 2 floors...break a sweat just getting wood to the stove. Then youll want to consider burn times and a cat stove would be the ticket, buck or blaze king cats with 8 in flues.

You ever think about an insert to replace the FP? Nice and central, big masonry mass to heat up, closer to stairs to get heat upstairs... just sayin' ;)

Either way - get the biggest firebox you can and prolly a fan or 2 to move some cold air.

I like the idea of a T6 for this layout.

But, have you checked here for replacement parts? http://www.blackswanhome.com/cdw-fa264ccl.html
Based on your description, I am not sure which parts are wearing out.

A new stove would be more efficient, though.

KB007 said:
You ever think about an insert to replace the FP? Nice and central, big masonry mass to heat up, closer to stairs to get heat upstairs... just sayin' ;)

Either way - get the biggest firebox you can and prolly a fan or 2 to move some cold air.

+1 Looks like a nice large fireplace that could take a big efficient insert or even a hearth stove. The more centrally located the better off you will be heating that much sq ft.

Todd said:
KB007 said:

+1 Looks like a nice large fireplace that could take a big efficient insert or even a hearth stove. The more centrally located the better off you will be heating that much sq ft.

If the original poster has a budget of $2500, it may be difficult to buy a large stove and have a new liner installed.

With the existing liner he could do a VC Defiant (about $2,800), a Catalytic Buck stove (less than $2,500), or a Blaze King (Not sure, but I think they are less than $3,000 on that side of the country) and still be close to the budget.

A large insert (Lopi Declaration, Hampton HI300, etc) will run him about $2.500-$3,000 plus liner and installation.

I guess the OP needs to tell us what he is open to and if his budget is a hard line or if there is wiggle room.

Just switched stoves at the end of last heating season. Here is my before and after pics. I really liked my Dutchwest even with it's odd quirks it was a good stove. So far we have been happy with the PE and can't wait to try it out during the coldest part of winter where the old Dutchwest struggled a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_8732.jpg
    IMG_8732.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_8937.jpg
    IMG_8937.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 559
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
KB007 said:

If the original poster has a budget of $2500, it may be difficult to buy a large stove and have a new liner installed.

With the existing liner he could do a VC Defiant (about $2,800), a Catalytic Buck stove (less than $2,500), or a Blaze King (Not sure, but I think they are less than $3,000 on that side of the country) and still be close to the budget.

A large insert (Lopi Declaration, Hampton HI300, etc) will run him about $2.500-$3,000 plus liner and installation.

I guess the OP needs to tell us what he is open to and if his budget is a hard line or if there is wiggle room.

Maybe an Osburn 2400 insert would fit the budget? I think you can get them on line for under 2k?

Thanks to all who have responded! Great info so far!

A couple of answers and more questions:

Last week the 8" pipe was inspected and swept. All looks good there. This will really show my ignorance.....I was just assuming that I could use the 8" pipe with a new stove that had a 6" exhaust by putting a reducer on the pipe. It doesn't sound like that is the case though, no? If not, that does seem to severely limit my stove options, in which case I may consider replacing the entire pipe with 6" pipe.

I would also consider doing a replacement on the brick fireplace if that is thought to be a better option. The "big masonry mass" is not quite as impressive as it looks. It is mostly a brick veneer over wood or drywall. In the end, I would probably like to do both at some point. Maybe that is overkill? I am really new to all of this so I have no idea what would be a better way to proceed.

No, the current stove doesn't vent into a masonry chimney. The pipe continues through the exterior wall to an 8" vent that goes straight up above the top of the roof.

There is no place to put a stove or insert on the third floor. It consists of a small bathroom, a hallway, and 4 small bedrooms. I am starting to realize that it may be impractical to expect a stove on the 2nd floor to provide much heat to those bedrooms.

I would love to replace parts from the existing stove, for the time being anyways. Unfortunately, parts for my exact stove (FA264CL) are different than the FA264CCL and two parts stores on-line have told me that parts aren't made for this anymore. With the tax credit and the age of the stove, now is probably a good time to buy new anyways.

My budget does have wiggle room ("scope creep", I call it). I want to get it done right and be happy for a long time. My preference is to stay below $2500, but if that is not doable for our situation, then.....

I guess my biggest question would be about the whole 8" pipe situation. If I am to understand that I will have to replace that to go with a 6" exhausting stove, then I may have to rethink.

Thanks!!!
Bill

Modern EPA stoves are a lot more finicky when it comes to draft. They are tested and approved with what the manufacturer specifies. Adapting to a different size pipe may or may not work for you, your local inspector, and your insurance company.
This is an exterior chimney, so you're already at a bit of a disadvantage. Need to keep those gases as warm as possible for a strong draft and minimizing creosote buildup. If it could be enclosed in an insulated chase that would help, though probably not very practical on a log home.
I'd look at all the options before I'd spring for a new chimney. I know there are more stoves than the few already suggested. H

Beautiful home!

If you got good draft, you can vent a 6 inch stove to an 8 inch chimney. My Dad did this and it worked out fine.

Consider the new Woodstock Progressive Hybrid stove. They are selling the first 250 of these for about $2400. That stove would look great in your home and should handle 2000 sq ft OK too - but call Woodstock and ask.

I like the PE T6, but be mindful that others have/are having problems getting warranty claims resolved.

I also like the Vermont Casting Defiant 2in1 stove. It can use either an 8 or 6 inch flue. It has a 3ish cu ft fire box, has great looks and every option one could imagine standard. BUT - VC has had problems in the past which you can search, but there are some indications that the new 2in1 generation stoves may have put some of the black days of VC behind us.

I'd consider the new Woodstock Progressive.

Good luck,
Bill

The pricing on the new Woodstock is really good! If you like the looks and are open to soapstone I would definitely consider the progressive stove. Wasn't really trying to reccomend the T6 just thought I would share with the op I knew what he is going through as I just made the switch from the dutchwest.

Woodstock Progressive Hybrid stove? I can't seem to find that one. Can someone point me to the right site?

Thanks!

certified106 said:
The pricing on the new Woodstock is really good! If you like the looks and are open to soapstone I would definitely consider the progressive stove. Wasn't really trying to reccomend the T6 just thought I would share with the op I knew what he is going through as I just made the switch from the dutchwest.

I think the T6 makes a lot of sense for that house. But the price on the new Woodstock is pretty impressive.

Well, I sent an email to Woodstock Soapstone asking if the 6" flue would be OK to vent into my 8" pipe. This is the response I got:

Thank you for your email.
The Progress Hybrid has a 6†flue collar and while a 6†chimney would be the ideal fit, 8†should function fine as well.
The general guide is the chimney flue size can be 2x greater than the cross sectional area of the stoves flue collar, if the chimney is located on the exterior or 3x greater, if the chimney is located inside the home till it breaches the roof. The cross sectional area of the 6†flue collar is 28.26†and the 8†is 50.24â€. Using these guidelines, you are falling into the proper range. We have an adapter that would increase from 6†to 8†if you choose to utilize your existing pipe.

So, if that is the case for all 6" flues, that opens all kinds of possibilities for a stove for me. I really do like the T6.

How tall is the flue on the outside?

The flue on the outside is probably 20 feet. I'm not there to measure it now, but that would be my best guess.

How tall is the flue on the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.