• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gixxer340

Oct 11, 2014
Easton Ma
Hello all,

My name is Jeff and I live in SE MA. I am getting ready to buy a fireplace insert for my 1600SF raised ranch and found this forum while doing some research about them. There is a lot f great information on here and I have just started reading.

My current first choice is the Jotul C550. Although there seem to be issues here and there it seems like a solid performer and should meet my goal of reducing my fuel oil bill by at least 50% (I hope). i have about 2 cord of wood that has been drying for quite some time (2+ years) so I have a good starter fuel source but i think that the small amount of wood might be the biggest limitation to meeting my goal. Going forward I think I have a line on free firewood as long as I cut it and split it, so the payback on the insert should be pretty quick. Again, I hope.

Now I just need to find the best place to buy the stove and decide whether or not i want to try to install it myself or have someone else install it.

Can't wait to get started.

Welcome to the forum. I have a raised ranch. I have an insert upstairs. It heats the house great. Last year I burned a 1.5 cords of wet maple, ton of Eco Bricks and 188 gallons of oil. But if the house was at 72 my wife was cold. Usually it was 74-76 because I found out that over 76 is just too hot. I did the install by myself with a help of a 3 buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.