New Myriad Installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Got my new Stove Installed last night. One thing I hate is cutting new stove pipe with snips. About the only way to do it.

My new stove is a Drolet Myriad as some others on here got. Same firebox as the Austral and Baltic.

Stove is made for maximum radiation of the heat. Unlike my Vogelzang that the firebox was almost completely firebrick lined and ceramic insulative baffle board and ceramic insulation blanket on top of baffle board the Myriad is pretty much all metal half way up and above. Having the stainless steel baffle instead of tubes and ceramic board means the heat radiation from the fire box to the outter shell of the stove is much greater. This stove really radiates heat. Its a North South Loader which is odd for me coming from a East West Loader but its something I really like.

Glass stays really clean. The air wash system for the glass is nice design in this unit. The air control has a really wide range of control. I like the bigger firebox but I will say some of the space is not as usable as I would like. Good practical size wood for this unit is 19" for North/South and 17.5" for East /West Loading. You can get 20" wood in North/South but out by the door its going to sit up on the lip which is like 3" above the floor of the stove.

There is no dog house air in this stove which makes it a better North/South loader Stove for more even burn.

The bypass damper is a really nice feature.

I will add more as I use the stove more.

Edit: I fixed the North/West to North/South.

Last edited:
Great! Let the fun begin! ==c
Do you think you are going to use the blower much or will the heat convect out of the stove and go to where you need it without the blower most of the time?
One thing I hate is cutting new stove pipe with snips. About the only way to do it.
Angle grinder and a cutting disc works pretty well....
Its a North West Loader which is odd
It certainly is. :p
I like the bigger firebox but I will say some of the space is not as usable as I would like.
Have you measured the actual usable size yet?
There is no dog house air in this stove which makes it a better North/South loader Stove for more even burn.
That's something I haven't tried yet with the Buck. I could load E-W and leave a "tunnel of love" under the middle of the load. It's burning more than long enough N-S for the 12-hr load cycle we're on over there, and we never have to cut the heat output....it's hard to roast out a 92 year old woman. ;lol

The north west loader thing confused me. Logs usually go in EW or NS, if u are speaking of the doors u are going to confuse some members. Glad ur happy w the stove :)

Last edited:
Since i bought the Austral ( but can't install til spring) I look forward to hearing your thoughts and updates on the stoves performance and quirks as you learn its habits.. You can be the guinea pig. How bad was the new stove paint smoke? One thing i am very curious about is how long the actual (useful) burn times are? And how well it'll run on "idle" if you don't need a full heat output. Love to see a picture of your install too.

Got my new Stove Installed last night

I got mine last Thursday and the door glass was broken. Drolet is sending me a replacement. Hopefully will arrive today. Will keep you posted

The north west loader thing confused me. Logs usually go in EW or NS, if u are speaking of the doors u are going to confuse some members. Glad ur happy w the stove :)

Sorry about typo I fixed the North West to North South. !!!

North/South wood splits load end first. East/West splits load side to side. If your stove is only 15" deep you cant load a 20" split N/S. But if you cut your wood 15" you could.

Squares Fireboxes lets say 20"x 20" Lets you load a 20" length split either direction.

N/S tends to burn a little more hot and fast so not having the dog house air which is usually front and center at coal bed level, not hving this allows N/S Loads to burn a little more under control.

Last edited:
Since i bought the Austral ( but can't install til spring) I look forward to hearing your thoughts and updates on the stoves performance and quirks as you learn its habits.. You can be the guinea pig. How bad was the new stove paint smoke? One thing i am very curious about is how long the actual (useful) burn times are? And how well it'll run on "idle" if you don't need a full heat output. Love to see a picture of your install too.

Dont think you will have an issue with this stove on burn times. You can turn it down really low lots of input air control. I loaded up about 75% load last night and had lots of hot coals 9 hours later. Splits were on the medium to small size. I will have to try some larger splits. I have read several reviews people talking they actually got 12 hour burns out of this thing but I am sure its with an ideal load of wood thats of good seasoned quality. Having good dry wood lets you lower the input air setting to lower levels.

I also picked up an Austral, cant install till summer glad to hear you like it. Keep us posted on burn times and such

North/South wood splits load end first. East/West splits load side to side. If your stove is only 15" deep you cant load a 20" split N/S. But if you cut your wood 15" you could.

Squares Fireboxes lets say 20"x 20" Lets you load a 20" length split either direction.

N/S tends to burn a little more hot and fast so not having the dog house air which is usually front and center at coal bed level, not hving this allows N/S Loads to burn a little more under control.

I think they were teasing you because you have a typo in your first post where you say it is a North/West loader where I think you meant to say North/South.

Reactions: Huntindog1
I loaded up about 75% load last night and had lots of hot coals 9 hours later.

i'd be THRILLED with getting that. Now i just got to get ahead of the seasoning curve. This winter sure threw my plans out of whack.
What is "dog house air" you keep refering to?? I never heard that term before.

I understand how that works, but your post said north west which must've been a typo unless u meant where the doors are.

Reactions: Huntindog1
The bypass open and the door cracked open makes for nice startups seems like more air flow with that bypass open even makes sound like alot of air flow. So it must be so , right. ;)

What is "dog house air" you keep refering to?? I never heard that term before.
It's a low air inlet under the door which injects air into the base of the load. On the Buck 91 there are two air sliders. The right one feeds air through a v-channel welded to the inside top front of the firebox for air wash. The left slider feeds air through a v-channel about half way back, and also to the dog house or "shot gun air," as Buck calls it.

Last edited:
I tried east/west burning and found I much prefer north/south. N/S burns down much more even, far less coals at the back of the stove to deal with at the end of the cycle. I've found the damper to be a most useful tool on cold starts, it really helps to get the fire going and the stove pipe up to temp in no time.

I've burned about 1 1/2 cords of maple through the Austral this winter and have not had to clean the glass, I'm amazed.

Reactions: KindredSpiritzz
Myriad2.jpg Myriad1.jpg

Reactions: WriteNoob
Burning kinda low, ain't it? >>

Burning kinda low, ain't it? >>

Its a warm day here in Indiana today So I havent reload yet buts its 12 hours later and I could fire it back up right now if I wanted . Its has some huge coals left in there.

One thing I forgot to point out, it has a nice large lip to catch ashes on the front of stove, larger than my other stove.

Looked like ya hadn't even fired it yet. Should have known you couldn't resist.

Here Ya Go.

Nice fire! It looks like a lively fellow. Is that with the air turned all the way down?

Nice fire! It looks like a lively fellow. Is that with the air turned all the way down?

Yep, air all the way down but a couple minutes later it put the fire out. This air control totally shut seems to really cuts the air off alot.

I put some marks on the pull in and out lever so I can make judgments on where its at. I align the marks with the outer edge of the ash lip looking at it from a side view.

why do you have a damper in the stove pipe? is that something i should install too? I hadnt planned on one figuring everything is controlled from the stove.

Menards does not have this on display. Could post some picture of the door pin's and how's the quality of build?

why do you have a damper in the stove pipe? is that something i should install too? I hadnt planned on one figuring everything is controlled from the stove.

I put a Pipe Damper in just in case I need it. I havent needed it yet. The stove seems to be very controllable with the input air.

Status
Not open for further replies.