New Oil Budget Amount- AAAAGGHH!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Got the mail this morining- Suburban Energy has "adjusted" my monthly budget oil payment amount- now up to $287.00!!!!!! This is sickening. I can't wait 'till next season when I am fully prepared, with an abundance of seasoned wood.
-New burner looking to the future......

must be aggrevating paying $287 in the summer to heat your house. I feel so badly for the old that live on a social security and have to deal with this nonsense. Live in modest house all your life then not be able to afford to heat it in the winter.

brooktrout, you have the right idea. Now get out there and get enough wood on hand before Spring so that you can heat your home next winter with wood. Cut it, split it, stack it and then wait to cover it next fall. You'll be a happy camper next winter...and warm too.

Tarmsolo60, you are very right. I think it is a crime that those older folks on fixed income have this expense now. I thank God that, although I am amongst those older folks, I am still able to cut my own wood from my own place and keep our butts warm all winter. I simply could not afford to heat our home any other way.

The elderly get bit every way coming. High fuel bills, insurance costs and property taxes that are way above their means. I hate to see them priced out of our neighborhoods. Often their modest homes are torn down after they are moved out and mcmansions are built in their place. Lord knows who is going to live in these boxes with ever increasing energy costs.

For my two cents, you would most likely do better to put $300 a month away in a money market account and order oil only when you need it then pay for it when you get it. It gives you much more control and I have a hard time trusting those "automatic" deliveries.

Hugo Chavez should be rolling into town giving the big giant oily finger to W in the form of free oil to a few needy folks, and lots of press saying what a great guy he is.

Brooktrout: BeGreen gave me some advice some time ago about stopping that auto-delivery. That is exactly what I did. Just bought $300 worth of oil for my central heat boiler, and that will do us for the winter. At todays oil prices we would be spending approx 3k plus per season for heat.

Now it breaks down like this-- Oil $300-400, propane $250-350, wood $600-750. Maximum heating costs for the year=$1500.

Should say that I burn about 5.5 to 6.5 cords of wood per season. But I cheat a little, each year I buy a tandem load of red cedar mill ends for $250 to mix with the fir and alder. That tandem load is 5 cords. Burns up quick, but the price is right, and it burns "hot and clean"....

My heat is tri-fold,, oil-fired boiler for central heat, propane insert on 3 rd level,, wood insert on 1st level.

Bet ya can`t guess where the wife and I spend most of our time.?? :coolsmile:

Big screen is also located in that area, just to give ya a hint. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.