New Oslo F500 owner question re 'doghouse'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcs2011

Apr 11, 2011
SC
In preparation for startup of a new Oslo F-500 this winter, I have been reading posts on this forum regarding this stove.
One term I came across several times is the 'Dogbone" which has to do with air control.

Can someone explain what it is, where it is, and how to check that it is functioning properly??

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Pete

I haven't heard the term before, but I assume they are referring to the lever used to open and close the air control sliding door. The Oslo issue in the past, and as far as I know still is the sliding air control door gets sticky and needs to be lubricated. Open the frount door, remove the 2 cap bolts that hold the dog house cover over the air control. The best long lasting lube I have found is P&B dry lube. Get it at HD or Lowes. Spray well the slide & lever. Redo as needed to have a silky smooth air control

One other Oslo thing is the front door will trap a lot of ash between the door and stove. When you open the door ash spills out. Not a big issue as you will learn to clean the glass and load thru the side door. We now burn a full season without opening the front door. I have clean glass, I almost never clean the glass as we burn seasoned wood, burn hot and keep the butt ends of splits away from the glass.

I don't know if I would suggest doing the burn in burns with temps near 100, but if it was mine I could't wait. Good luck with the new stove, I'm sure you will love the stove, like all the Jotel people here.

Tom

I believe you are referring to the "doghouse".

My dealer bent my slider a little when I took delivery. Mine hasn't been sticky yet.

I've edited the thread title to use doghouse so that the Milkbone doesn't get involved.

The dog house is a small box, on my stove middle front of the stove. See the not so great photo below. It is where a concentration of air comes into the firebox. In my unit it is the main air inlet. There is also, again in my stove, an airwash and secondary air that feeds the secondary burn tubes. Hope that splains it.

Shawn

Attachments

• New Oslo F500 owner question re 'doghouse'
    doghouse.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 468
scwoodman said:
In preparation for startup of a new Oslo F-500 this winter, I have been reading posts on this forum regarding this stove.
One term I came across several times is the 'Dogbone" which has to do with air control.

Can someone explain what it is, where it is, and how to check that it is functioning properly??

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Pete

I think XMan explained it pretty well . . . the "doghouse" is the little bump out in the front of the firebox near the front glass . . . it's where the air comes out that you can control with the sliding air control lever. Eventually most all of them get a little sticky as wood ash works its way down into the mechanism over time -- you'll know when the air control lever doesn't slide . . . or rather glide . . . easily and instead fetches up a bit.

It's not a big deal to fix . . . using a metric wrench or socket set (I think it was either 8 or 10 mm) you undo two bolts, pull off the dog house cover and then have good access to the air control sliding mechanism. It probably goes without saying, but I try to do this when my stove is cool or at the very least only warm since working in a hot fire box is not a safe thing to do. I generally blow out some of the ash -- or at the end of the year or beginning of the year when the stove has been cold for several days vacuum this area out -- and then use some graphite powder which you can get at any hardware store to lubricate the slide. Then reattach the doghouse and bolts and you should be good for several weeks to months of use -- burning full time I generally only have to do this "repair" once or twice in a burning season.

And it should be Jotul . . . not Jotel . . . Xman was pretty spot on with his description except for the spelling of the stove brand. ;)

Must be a west coast spelling. "Welcome to the Jotel California".

Thanks, it's all fixed, even though it sounds like Jotel to me. Don't tell my wife about this, she is Norwegian.

Tom

Its scandinavian speak...

And its pronounced "YO-dull"

xman23 said:
Thanks, it's all fixed, even though it sounds like Jotel to me. Don't tell my wife about this, she is Norwegian.

Tom

HehHeh . . . having your wife be Norwegian along with the misspelling made me smile a bit. It's all good of course . . . we knew what you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.