new pellet owner here with question about enviro empress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris246810

Oct 13, 2014
new york
Hello I have had my enviro empress fss installed in my home In ny now getting ready to use it. my question is I want to buy a thermostat to use on the stove with the high low setting. I am not in the market for a expensive one so I was looking into a Honeywell one for 25.00 would that do the job? any information would be greatful
thank you

If it is a regular mechanical thermostat just make sure it is millivolt rated (it probably is) and that it has a swing setting. No reason to get fancy unless you like fancy and you can probably find what you need for $25 at Lowes or Home Depot etc.

hello thank you for your answer these are the two i am looking at. i see they do say it has a

1) Honeywell RTH111B1016/U Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat

2)

Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat

• Precise temperature control minimizes temperature swings and holds the thermostat to +/-1 degree F accuracy, ensuring your complete comfort.
is that the swing setting your talking about?

i also dont need a programmable thermostat correct if i am only using it for a high low setting.

Download the owners manual to see if it has an adjustable swing setting. Most people have good luck with a swing of 3 degrees. Here is how swing works. If the swing is set to 3 degrees and you set your thermostat to 70 then the stove will turn off at 73 and turn back on at 67. The reason for having a larger swing is that it prevents the stove from starting up and then shutting back off to quickly. Starting and stopping the stove frequently kills efficiency. Now you said you will be running the stove in high/low mode and for that you can use any swing you want as the stove will simply cycle between high and low fire. I just looked at the owners manual and it does not appear that the swing is adjustable. If you are only going to use it in high/low mode then this stat will work for you. Keep in mind that in the shoulder seasons the high/low setting may lead to a very warm house as the stove never truly shuts off. Hope this helps.

Hello I have manual but can't find where it says about a swing I'm gonna email the dealer I ordered it from and they also installed it. Also I want to use the on off setting with the thermostat but I was told it will burn out the ignighter so I was just thinking to go with the hi/low setting.

hello i have just receieved the honeywell RTH111B thermostat. i see it didn't come with any wiring as i am makeing a new setup and a new postion with this thermostat. the pellet stove has two connnections for the thermostat. i am guessing i only need two wires to hook this up to my stove and thermostat. i just have to follow the color of the wires and connect them to the thermostat? i see lowes and home depot have different wires with different amounts on them so is it that easy to hook up ? any other information would be greatful

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.