New Quad CB1200i just installed- gonna need a gate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GenghisJon

Nov 9, 2009
Middletown, CT
Love the stove, wasn't expecting the glass to be so hot tho.

I have a toddler so safety is important. Sales guy kind of minimized the dangers of a pellet stove. The installer set me straight however letting me know the glass part is "melt your skin" dangerous.

So it looks like I'm gonna have to drop around $175 or so on a hearth gate. Didn't budget that expense but I got to do it.

How old is the kiddo? I worried about this issue also when we first go the stove, we had twins running around. We ended up never getting a gate, the boys picked up on the fact very quickly at a very young age, just repeatedly told them 'hot!' and watched them close. After being told for a while, they picked up on the fact, they are smarter than you may think at a young age. No burns by the way, ever, and no gate like I said.

GotzTheHotz said:
How old is the kiddo? I worried about this issue also when we first go the stove, we had twins running around. We ended up never getting a gate, the boys picked up on the fact very quickly at a very young age, just repeatedly told them 'hot!' and watched them close. After being told for a while, they picked up on the fact, they are smarter than you may think at a young age. No burns by the way, ever, and no gate like I said.

That's good to hear, thanks for sharing that.

He's three. Very curious, and everywhere you don't want him to be.

My wife grew up with a house heated by a wood stove without a gate and says the same thing about kids knowing to stay away from it but I don't know..

My Quad gets hot enough that if you touch it, you might say "Ouch!" or some other four letter word, but not hot enough to burn. If he were to touch it he would only do it once! My youngest child is 4 and it hasn't been an issue.

On a side note, when I fill the hopper she always says "Wow, that's a lot of pellets!" A future pellethead perhaps???

Have had the three year old grandaughter over several times since the stove was started again this fall. Told her many times that she can't go near the stove because it is hot. She got the message right away and hasn't come close to it, ever. You might be suprised how much they get if you tell them over and over again.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a 15 month old and a 2 1/2 yr old. The 2 year old stays away from it. She knows she'll get burned if she touches it. The 15 month old tries to get close, so we just put a couple toy boxes in front of the hearth (far enough from the stove so they won't melt or get hot!) and that acts as a buffer. Don't worry, by next burning season your toddler will be old enough that it won't be an issue.

Also, I make sure I'm always in the room or can see the stove when I'm not in the room when my 15 month old is running around. Just in case!

My 3 1/2 year old son gets it, he stays clear of it. 1 year old twin boys seem to want to touch it, but haven't yet. If it were up to me only, there would be a gate up now. Wife doesn't want holes in the wall............ :mad:

Burn1...twins and then some, huh? You will survive, although I don't have 'then some' so all I know is twins. The boys actually sit on the stove every morning before bus stop time, one reason I like the stove is that it does not get TOO hot as a wood stove, just a warm butt after a minute or so. Like I said, even when they were very young, they picked up on the fact that the stove was hot, I think the fact that the glass is the danger zone and with the fire right behind that, it made sense to them.

I got my stove last year when my daughter was 4 and got one of those stand-up fireplace screens. I didn't have to drill inot the walls, it looks nice, and I don't have worry about my dog accidently knocking her into the glass...which does get hot enough to melt skin. My daughter does a fairly good job listening to safety instruction, but what if it's an "accident", which by definition is an unplanned event? I figure that it's worth the 40 bucks to have some piece of mind.

My wife just pointed out to me after reading this thread that "it's a lot easier to patch walls when the kid gets older than it would be to bring them to the emergency room with serious burns on thier hands or face". She may have a point.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

If if's and but's were cherries and nuts, then every day would be Christmas.

Just because nothing has happened to other folks kids doesn't mean something
won't happen to yours. Put a gate around it so you don't find yourself later wishing
you went with your first instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.