New stove is coming friday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
oh, boy.. my second pellets stove PDVC is coming Friday evening. Don't know if they will bring it in side my door or not.....Still need to get a hearth pad and vent kit though....

chrisasst said:
oh, boy.. my second pellets stove PDVC is coming Friday evening. Don't know if they will bring it in side my door or not.....Still need to get a hearth pad and vent kit though....
The guy who delivered mine carted it down the driveway and into the back garage but it will depend on the driver himself.
Good luck on the install. I think you will like the stove too.

Glad to hear it Chris! :)

Make sure to read the owners manual completely, and watch the video. Do your pre-install burn outside while it's still on the pallet....it doesn't need any pipe on the back to do that.

Make sure to check & write down what the lower 3 buttons are set at from from the factory, for future reference.

Very curious to see how it heats your house compared to the Kozi.

As was mentioned above, we will need pics, of course. :)

imacman said:

Make sure to read the owners manual completely, and watch the video. Do your pre-install burn outside while it's still on the pallet....it doesn't need any pipe on the back to do that.

Make sure to check & write down what the lower 3 buttons are set at from from the factory, for future reference.

I paid big bucks for my installation. Like so many things they messed up, they didn't do a pre burn. I wonder how many stoves actually have a pre burn done prior to the installation. I have be be honest, at that time, I wasn't aware of a need for the pre burn, and fortunately, didn't have an offensive odor when the stove was fired up inside.

imacman said:

hmm, if they bring it inside for me, I might not be able to do preburn outside.... I will just make sure I have a window open and the family out of the house.. I have read the online manual twice now will probably read 5 more times. Hopefully I am getting a 2004 and above unit..

Yes, when I was looking online at the manual there was one for 2004 and above and one for under. When I bought my kozi 3 years ago, I didn't know I was getting a 1992 version, so....

Well, considering that it's coming from a store that sells new products, I'd assume that yours will be new also. You might want to quickly uncrate the stove before the delivery person leaves and check the manufacturing date.....it should be inside on the hopper lid.

What time is it coming today? Bet your a happy little camper!!

I'll bet you didnt sleep last night.. Like a kid at christmas ! ;)
Hope all goes smooth today. I will be installing my 2nd stove tomorrrow. whoo hoo

I think I am a day late, supposed to be nicer weather next week, so won't really get to see how it does...

in about 1/2 hour... the vent kit won't be here until next week. Ordered off of ebay from Ok... which they are having delays because of weather. Can find anything local. Need to go and see what I can find for a hearth pad. I think a 4x4 area will do. Still need to decide if I want it in my corner and use a 45 elbow or just have it straight out which would make the stove look silly.

So got the stove, definetly smaller than the kozi. I see some dilemmas already. Were the exhaust vent is, it is in direct line of electrical wire. So not sure how to avoid that when cutting into the wall. Wife wants it the corner. So I am going to have to a) build up a hearth pad that is about 1 or 2 feet high. b) run the vent vertical from the stove then out. ( is option b acceptable to do) the manual shows this, but it shows it when it is talking about a basement install. If I could do option b, it would eliminate the extra 45 elbow correct, or am I thinking that wrong. See example pic below as for what I am talking about. Or would it be easier just to build a 1 or 2 foot tall pad?

harman_pellet_stove_1.jpg

I had the same problem with an elec outlet. Instead of the 45 degree angle pointing toward the wall off the stove, and straight out. I took the 45, turned the other way, (parallel to the wall) then on the end of the 45 I put in a 90 degree angle and out the wall. That gave me the extra room to clear the wall outlet. Worked out well.
But if you had to do what is shown in the pic, as long as you get the right pipe for your EVL, you should be good. (Plus you will have a vertical run for power outage)

chrisasst said:
.....b) run the vent vertical from the stove then out. ( is option b acceptable to do) the manual shows this, but it shows it when it is talking about a basement install.......

Chris, don't worry that the manual only shows your "option b" as a basement install.....the owners manual can't possibly show all the variations of installs for the exhaust.

You can still do the same thing in your room. If your set-up is going to look like the pic you attached, IMO, I'd do an appliance adapter, then a 45, then a clean-out T straight up 3-4', and then a 90 out through the wall to the cap.

Adapter, Tee, up 4', 90, out, and cap.

You can do the 45 degree turn just with the vertical off of the Tee, no need for additional vent restrictions.

That doesn't center the stove pipe behind the stove unless the exhaust outlet is centered.

Can you vent out the other wall of the corner?

Can I go up 3' then out? Here are some pics of the corner...the vent is on the left side facing the stove..

000_0004.jpg
000_0006-1.jpg
000_0005-1.jpg

Three feet up is fine also, I was just tossing a number out there that was likely to produce an EVL of under 15 and have a semi decent vertical rise to it.

Just make sure you have all of the clearances covered.

sure love seeing another one of my stoves in someones house :) i saw your question about an up and out install. this is just fine , the 3 ft minimum vertical can be inside or out. as someone said we would be hard pressed to show every single permutation of pipe install in the manual.

anyway, i do not see anything that raises any alarms from your pictures i assume you will vent through the left wall in the picture. while you are waiting for the pipe and the floor protector to arrive take a litttle time and watch my video. we cover basically from the point you are at with the stove sitting there all the way through prep, installation (though we demonstrate the out and up) operating the unit , cleaning and even literally how to service the stove , gasket maintenance , remove and reinstall of all the components, etc. its a great referrence source.

should you have any questions not covered by our materials, feel free to give my customer service shop a call, the phone number and web address are both in the book.

last and most important, thanks for choosing us to help heat your home, i think you will be pleased (if not suprised) the heat that little beast can generate. its been a very successful model for us. i expect it will provide you great service for years to come.

Does the OAK have to run straight out, or can I bend it down a little. I think if I can get the hearth pad to be no more than an 1" thick I will be ok and won't hit the electric wire but it would be better if I can angle it down a bit.
Also what pellets does this stove like or will it burn anything I am interested in how well it burns cubex compared to my kozi. ( apparently I am into another bad batch of cubex again)

Your OAK must terminate lower than your vent termination. Check the manual for specifics.

The OAK run should be as curve free and as short as possible and watch the length, as it has to be larger if it is longer than so many feet.

if I looked at the OAK kit it illustrates the flex hose coming from the stove and down about 30 degrees or so. So I guess I will be ok.

chrisasst said:
if I looked at the OAK kit it illustrates the flex hose coming from the stove and down about 30 degrees or so. So I guess I will be ok.

You will be fine like that....no worries.

BTW, did you do the pre-burn outside while the stove was still on the pallet?

Status
Not open for further replies.