New Stove or no new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shouldntbesocomplicated

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2010
Northern Maine
Ok I want as much input as you guys can muster . For the past 4 years I have run a Waterford Erin to heat my home minus the basement. I want to upgrade but cant seem to find a replacement with higher BTU
rating with same foot print and size due to the way the hearth/chimney are built , field stone through the house. So my next thought was to buy big and put it in the basement, but I have read so much about the heat loss of doing so, I am afraid, very afraid , I wont be happy . Here is some info on the house 24x32 log home 1-3/4 story due to cathederal ceiling. I was thinking PE T6 or more likely the Summit as it wont be a showpiece. Basement is unfinished so to spend time down there is saw sharpening and laundry. Basement temps while running the Erin drop in to the 30s. So we either do some laundry and vent dryer inside or I have to fire the furnace for something other than hot water. With the tax credit ending I am feeling its now or never. Winter temps up here are cold, we can see lots of -30 f .

Thanks for all the help in the past and future Dave

I would ignore BTU ratings for now and just look at firebox size... and keep the stove upstairs (or consider two stoves - what is the pellet stove heating, BTW?). How big is the firebox of the Erin, and what exactly are the footprint/clearance limitations of your setup?

Pellet stove heats a 13 x32 addition if it has to woodstove has been helping out, pellets cost more than me cutting trees down.

Ok try a couple of pics to help

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 763
Nice looking hearth and stove! So are you looking for a bigger stove just to meet the needs of heating the main house, or is the idea that you want it to help heat the basement? How many flues are behind all that fieldstone, just the one?

Can you provide hearth dimensions where the stove is located, maybe on a plan view?

Also, is the area behind the stove completely non-combustible or is this a wood stud wall behind the stone veneer?

If I was to put a bigger one in the basement i would want it to heat all. The chimney has one flue 8x12 it services my oil burner as well as woostove. The size of the ERIN is 24 wide 17 deep and it just fits on that hearth, stove is rated from 31 -41 k BTU from what I can get for info.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 659
Fact of life. The little Erin is a sweet stove but footprint is dictated by firebox size which dictates heat output. You aren't gonna find a stove the same size that puts out more heat.

The hearth is made from real stone, heavy metal frame in bacement to support it.

I guess that you are correct Bart as i cant find more BTU in same size stove , that is the reason I thought of going with a monster in the basement. To replace the Erin with same output would just be spending money IMO.The Erin would stay put and only fire if needed

Prolly right, but hearth dimensions would help to know what options there are for greater width or height on the hearth. I was wondering if a Morso 3610 would fit or a Scan Anderson 10. Is this an Erin e stove rated about 30K btus?

Yes it is an Erin e as far as width 24 max on feet 17 back to front , flue hieght is 41 inches on center , and really no extra room this hearth seems to be built to fit this stove with no overhang to catch dropings when you open the door . I tiled in front of the stove 3 years ago when started burning fulltime.

That is narrow indeed. Perhaps consider having a good stone mason build out the hearth if heat on the first floor is the goal?

That is narrow indeed. Perhaps consider having a good stone mason build out the hearth if heat on the first floor is the goal?

+1000

Wow, that hearth is lovely. And non--combustible? And placed right where you want it for convenience, heating, and enjoyment. It's a crying shame the builder didn't future-proof it.

I urge you to consider enlarging it. Seems a shame to not burn the stove you want there...

SOMEONE needs to point out that having 2 appliances on the same flue is generally a building code no-no! Yes, yes I know that that CAN work, but if you are considerin' doin' somethin', may I humbly suggest throwing some money at a chimney and not so much at a stove. i.e. a nice insulated pipe of some kind and an old Fisher in the basement? I don't know, something or other, but burn safe! CO poisoning can be great for insomnia...

defiant3 said:
SOMEONE needs to point out that having 2 appliances on the same flue is generally a building code no-no! Yes, yes I know that that CAN work, but if you are considerin' doin' somethin', may I humbly suggest throwing some money at a chimney and not so much at a stove. i.e. a nice insulated pipe of some kind and an old Fisher in the basement? I don't know, something or other, but burn safe! CO poisoning can be great for insomnia...

Actually it's allowed in Maine . . . for better or for worse . . . I still haven't decided if it was a good or bad move to make the variance.

Now as to the original question . . . I think Bart summed it up pretty well . . . generally more heat = larger stove = larger hearth.

RenovationGeorge said:

+1000

Wow, that hearth is lovely. And non--combustible? And placed right where you want it for convenience, heating, and enjoyment. It's a crying shame the builder didn't future-proof it.

I urge you to consider enlarging it. Seems a shame to not burn the stove you want there...

Heat from basement up was the real idea since the hearth space is so small

defiant3 said:

I think putting a new stove in the basement would be a lot safer than putting an old Fisher or other old stove down there IMO especially for your Co2 fear

firefighterjake said:
defiant3 said:

Actually it's allowed in Maine . . . for better or for worse . . . I still haven't decided if it was a good or bad move to make the variance.

Now as to the original question . . . I think Bart summed it up pretty well . . . generally more heat = larger stove = larger hearth.

Jake I can understand your indecision on the recall of 1 flue 1 appliance, but for many years it was ok. Now as to the original question monster in basement like a Summit.

It would really be a shame to not have a stove with that beautiful hearth so building it out would be my first thing if it were mine. For basement, I'd first want to insulate the walls and then perhaps get one of the big BK stoves.

If basement install you need to think of possible draft issues. Perhaps this is an open basement with a door to the outside? Also how will you get the wood down there? How will you get the ashes out? Do you really want to be climbing up and down the stairs tending the stove? That is a lot of work and is more than doubled if you have to carry wood down there.

shouldntbesocomplicated said:
So my next thought was to buy big and put it in the basement, but I have read so much about the heat loss of doing so, I am afraid, very afraid , I wont be happy .

Agree. Expand the hearth, or wood furnace?

Backwoods Savage said:
It would really be a shame to not have a stove with that beautiful hearth so building it out would be my first thing if it were mine. For basement, I'd first want to insulate the walls and then perhaps get one of the big BK stoves.

If basement install you need to think of possible draft issues. Perhaps this is an open basement with a door to the outside? Also how will you get the wood down there? How will you get the ashes out? Do you really want to be climbing up and down the stairs tending the stove? That is a lot of work and is more than doubled if you have to carry wood down there.

Wood is under the addition at rear of house walk out cellar get wood walk upstairs to stove now so tending in basement would be less work.

That should be a big help then.

branchburner said:
shouldntbesocomplicated said:
So my next thought was to buy big and put it in the basement, but I have read so much about the heat loss of doing so, I am afraid, very afraid , I wont be happy .

Agree. Expand the hearth, or wood furnace?

Well it would have to be a wood boiler as we have FHW so there are no ducts, and lots more money there.

I tried, for several years and failed, to heat my uninsulated basement with a wood stove. Two years ago I insulated the whole thing myself. Fiberglas batts in the kneewall, caulked acoustic cement (terrible stuff) around the exposed joists and stapled 6 mil. plastic over the whole thing. Covered with t&g pine. I then cut 2 in. Styrofoam insulation to fit the basement walls and then drilled and used Tapcons w/ extra large flat washers to suck it up nice and tight to the walls. I can now heat my whole house (2700 sq. ft, including basement) in shoulder seasons with the same stove I had given up on 10 years ago. Btw., the basement is wide open 900 sq.ft. and is used only to store snow blower, motorcycle, winter wood, tools etc.

Tighten up the basement or you will be wasting lotsa heat and your time trying to heat it. :coolhmm:

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.