New Stove pad size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyb1970

Apr 22, 2014
New Jersey (Northern)
I just bought a New Englander 1500 daft summer pellet stove. I want to build a pad/Matt for the stove to be on. I want to use tile and what's a good size and material I should use. Thanks

Depends on how high you need it but I used 3/4 inch plywood then cement board followed by tile on top of cement board. I like to have approx. one foot on each side and measure the widest point towards the front when you have the door open. This way you won't spill anything on the main floor and you can step up on the sides to make it easier to dump the fuel in the hopper.

Just make sure the size of your tile floor is large enough to satisfy the min non combustible area required by the manufacturer. Typically you need a 12 to 16 inch extension on the front of the stove.

Is it a 25PDVC? If so the owners manual states:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/46/463aeef9-574e-487c-8d1c-e21ec68f0ae7.pdf

"The protection should be U.L. approved or equivalent and must be large enough to
provide a minimum of one inch (1.0”) behind, four inches (4.0”) on both sides of the stove and at
least six inches (6.0”) in the front of the unit. This floor protection is intended as spark and ember
protection only, therefore it need only be noncombustible (there is no required R value).
"

Status
Not open for further replies.