New Stove Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
Hi all.
I just sold my wood/ coal boiler and am looking to go back to a wood stove. I used to have a double door timberline in the basement but am looking for something a bit more efficient. My basement (i know its not the ideal location for the stove) is about 25x27 uninsulated block with a door that goes to my garage 32x23 also uninsulated block with two garage doors.
The basement is more of a utility room so the stove doesnt have to look good. I was considering an englander NC13 but would like to get overnight burns if possible. Is the nc 30 going to cook me out of the house more than the old timberline?
Any other stove suggestions? I dont mind spending a little more money to get the right stove.
Do I go catalytic or non-cat?
Thanks for your help.

Go large. An unfinished basement is going to lose about a third of its heat to the outdoors through the block. That's one cord lost for every 3 burned. The 30 NC is a good stove to consider. If it gets too hot open the door into the garage. If you go for a good cat stove like a BK Princess the bill will be about 3 times higher cost but it will have a wider range of burn times. A Buck will be at least twice the cost of the Englander.

If you want to split the difference, Englander has a new stove on the market, the Madison. It's 2.45 cu ft, under a grand and should be quite efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.