New stove versus old reliable one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ01

Feb 22, 2010
CT, New England
I need some good advise before making any moves I might later regret and I think my reluctance on this topic is warranted. I've owned my home for about 5 years now and included in the purchase was a Harman Advance Pellet Stove. I have advocated to my friends how efficient it heats my home, at a fraction of what they are paying for oil, and so much easier than a wood burner from my childhood. I only burn quality pellets to reduce ash and take the stove entirely apart 1-2 times per season for a full cleaning of the accordion ducts, inspect burn plates (replace if needed), blow the dust out of the motors, lubricate moving parts, and vacuum inner panels and such. The start of this season the ignitor is not working so I think its the element and now the lower combustion motor started making some extra noise but a can of compressed air and some CRC lubricant and it's nearly back to quiet operation. Perhaps there's a brush in the motor that is wearing out? I've tried to remove the lower combustion blower motor but one of the pins is no longer fixed so it spins when you try loosen the bolt and no way to even grab it with pliers on the front side. I know there is probably a trick to removing this and if you can offer advice on how to remove that would be great but not the full intent of my post. :)

You see, my father-in-law recently passed and he had his own pellet stove which I now own. It's an England 25PDV but I fear initially it may look like my Harman on the exterior but not act like it. Reading some of the complaints on this stove I cannot determine if it's from poor maintenance, bad installs, or a bigger quality issue of Korean made parts. My wife is thinking to replace the Harman with this newer 25PDV, but I'm not so sure I want to take the Harman out of main service to become my secondary in the basement. It's been steady and reliable for my 5 years and 5 years prior to me (purchased by original owner in 2000). Besides, to me the issues are minor because all parts tend to wear and are certainly replaceable. What would you do? Should I make the new stove my secondary or replace the 10 year old Harman?

In my opinion the Harman is a better made stove. Especially the older ones as they were built like tanks. Harmans have had a bad run of ignitors and the newer Advance models seem to go through them fairly often. So far that would be my only negative on the Harman brand. Mechanical parts such as motors and augar do wear out depending on the usage. There has been some comments on this forum about the use of lube for the motors and the type of lube used. CRC is not one of the lubes recommended but that doesn't mean it is not a good one. You really need to see what it is intended for.

There seem to be a lot of posts on the England brand of stoves, with a lot of them dealing with problems people are having. I think a lot of the stove problems are due to people not keeping them clean. There are always a lot of England stoves on E-bay and Craigslist for sale. That tells me that people are not happy with the stove or the experience of a pellet stove. One of the England stoves techs, at the factory, is a member of this forum, and does moniter for questions regarding their stoves. He will talk to you over the phone to help with any problem. I quess what I'm trying to saying is that they stand behind their products. His name is Mike Holton.

I would keep the Harman as the main stove and put the England as the secondary stove. It is made of cast iron verses stamped steel with firebrick which in my opinion is a lighter weight stove. I like solid built stoves. Maybe give it a freash coat of paint in the summer to bring it back to new looking condition. Even if a part wears out on either stove you most likely will repair it wether it is the main or secondary stove. Why do 2 installs when you could get away with only one. Unless the exit pipe height is the exact same on both stove you would have to mess with 2 sets of pipes.

Bkins

Bkins said:
In my opinion the Harman is a better made stove. Especially the older ones as they were built like tanks. Harmans have had a bad run of ignitors and the newer Advance models seem to go through them fairly often. So far that would be my only negative on the Harman brand. Mechanical parts such as motors and augar do wear out depending on the usage. There has been some comments on this forum about the use of lube for the motors and the type of lube used. CRC is not one of the lubes recommended but that doesn't mean it is not a good one. You really need to see what it is intended for.

There seem to be a lot of posts on the England brand of stoves, with a lot of them dealing with problems people are having. I think a lot of the stove problems are due to people not keeping them clean. There are always a lot of England stoves on E-bay and Craigslist for sale. That tells me that people are not happy with the stove or the experience of a pellet stove. One of the England stoves techs, at the factory, is a member of this forum, and does moniter for questions regarding their stoves. He will talk to you over the phone to help with any problem. I quess what I'm trying to saying is that they stand behind their products. His name is Mike Holton.

I would keep the Harman as the main stove and put the England as the secondary stove. It is made of cast iron verses stamped steel with firebrick which in my opinion is a lighter weight stove. I like solid built stoves. Maybe give it a freash coat of paint in the summer to bring it back to new looking condition. Even if a part wears out on either stove you most likely will repair it wether it is the main or secondary stove. Why do 2 installs when you could get away with only one. Unless the exit pipe height is the exact same on both stove you would have to mess with 2 sets of pipes.

Bkins

There were a lot of Harman stove problems too but Harman and Englander are two of the best sellers so there`s bound to be more problems since there`s more of em out there. And you probably see more Englanders on Craiglist cause they probably outsell most others by a wide margin. The fact is there are all kinds of pellet stoves for sale on Craigslist including 2 Accentras just this past month.
I have a good sample of each my self but in all honesty I think most Harman models are better . But they should be since they cost significantly more. My advice is to keep the Harman in place.

I will just post this ..My Englander utility model may not be pretty to look at ..but the desighn is SO SIMPLE that it just works!..the 1 auger with the free falling pellets into the burn pot WORKS~!
I have been burnin mine 24/7 all heating season an we shut it down for a quick clean of the burn pot..wich is much cleaner with soft wood pellets and a glass clean ..an back up an runnin.
My Bud at work installed the smaller Englander unit with the dual augers and has had issues with jams and such as many have posted here on the site ..he has spent allot time bein PO'D on his stove ..where I have not.
I just dont understand WHY they would have the 2 auger system in the pretty lookin stoves where the desighn of the utility model works so nice, has less moving parts and it WORKS???
and the 120 lb. hopper is the cats arse!
Tim

i would stick with the harman. parts are readily available and not overly expensive. for 500.00 or so you can replace all three motors and the circuit board. Some circuit boards alone are 500.00

Bkins said:
CRC is not one of the lubes recommended but that doesn't mean it is not a good one. You really need to see what it is intended for.
Bkins

I did many searches and found some posts indicating using a straight 10W or 20W oil on the bearings. If there is something better to use I'm all ears and willing to learn. Is there a specific post you had in mind? I've searched oils, lubricants, pellet stove lubricants, CRC, etc... and cannot pick up on additional discussions.

I have not done a search to try to find the one that was suggested, but I'm pretty sure it was 3 in 1 with a blue label, not the red one. I will send a PM to Macman and see if I'm correct. I know that most heating and cooling suppliers sell bottles of oil just for the motors and as a added bonus they have a long spout enableing you to get into tight spots. Keep in mind that a lot of bearings used in pellets stove are sealed so it may be hard to get oil into them. You may have to stand the motor on end and let it sit for awhile to get any lube in. I know you said that when you applied the CRC that it helped to quiet it down. Your bearings may not be sealed or the seal may be drying out enough to let some lube in. Don't over do it with the lube as a little goes a long way. To much will attract dirt to areas in the bearings which is not a good thing. Some bearings also have caps that can be removed to allow oil in. You may find a plastic plug that can be pried out or sometimes there is a screw that can be removed. I doubt you will find either of these situations on your Harman or England stove.

Bkins

Bkins

Thanks for taking the time to reply it is greatly appreciated. I'll definately check out the electrical supply place in my area to see what they offer. I'll even check out the stove places to see what they suggest too. I realize now the CRC is less than ideal but not as detrimental as not performing any maintenance so at least I'm better than that...

It's funny, I've spent a lot of time on the motorcycle forums saving a great deal of money working on my bike but never considered a place for the pellet stove. Glad I found this forum and I've got plenty to read up on...

Bkins and RJ01,

SAE #20 and 3 in 1 blue and white is the same oil and specifically used for lubricating electric motors, the proper oil to use is the one recommended by the motor manufacturer.

Sometimes it is stamped on the manufacturers plate.

Oh and before I forget, welcome to the forum RJ01, pull up a chair and do a bit of reading, lots of information here.

the bearings are sealed, but you can quiet them down by lubing them up, as noted above.......most likely your motor/fan is on its way out......the new igniters seem MUCH better than the old ones.......most of the igniters available for Harman dealers these days are the "new" variety as well......

as for the bolt holding the combustion fan in place...I they are flat-headed drive bolts, so, you can cut it off.....there is enough leeway where the fan impeller sits in the stove body (roughly 1/4") to just replace said bolt with a flat-headed stove bolt......I'd replace the motor and igniter, leave the trusty old Advance where it is, and relegate the Englander to the basement......

Status
Not open for further replies.