New stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy 1

Jan 5, 2016
Tennessee
I just purchased a u s stove 2000 at tsc. I am burning the wood from there also . The glass is already black and can't see the fire and there seems to be some build up of black gummy residue inside should I be concerned about this?

Pull your air control all the way out

on my stove, it took about 10 fires before my window would finally stay clean, i do not know why this is except maybe i was burning old settlement out of the firebox. The easiest way to clean the galss is a towel that is wet and dip it into the ash then wipe clean, it's very easy. I haven't cleaned my window in the last 5 fires and it's staying clean so that's a good thing!

Easy to check with a pair of binoculars. Or, if you have easy access to your roof and chimney climb up and take a look. In general, the rain cap is the first part of stove/insert system to get clogged when burning wet wood. Even dry wood will eventually clog a cap after enough time, in my experience. When you start getting smoke coming out your door upon reloads it is often an indicator of a clogged cap.

If there is black gummy creosote in the stove there is black gummy creosote in that chimney.

The wood I have bought appears to be dry wood and kiln-dried at tsc. I installed the system 3 days ago and what I'm trying to say is this normal when this is happening?

The quick answer is no, that 2000 is a pretty good heat producer, I ran its bigger brother the 2500 for 3 seasons. Now we get to trouble shoot this.
How long is the chimney, what type of set up do you have?
Kiln dry from tcs? do they have compressed wood blocks there? (Redstones) those will be your winning ticket.

Yes they have compressed blocks there. The pipe that goes from the top of the stove to the ceiling is around 52 inches and that is double wall black pipe don't know the brand but the wholeset up is made in Canada . From the box that the doublewall stainless pipe is in and out the roof is probably 36 to 48 . I have 2 /45' s on the black pipe from the stove to the ceiling.

I'm going out on limb but I'm going to say that your chimney is way to short, I believe the minimum height for that stove is either 12ft or 15ft, the chimney is the engine that drives your stove. Do you get smoke out the door when you open it?

Did you install the oak connection?

its in the stove manual

http://www.tractorsupply.com/ProdContentPDFs/1015683_Man1.pdf

Use this link above although this stated for the 2500 model the stoves are both the same (my manual actually stated for models 2000 & 2500)
minimum chimney height is 12ft, make sure you meet all your required clearances, also since you are in a manufactured home follow the outside combustion air protocol.

Reactions: wright56
Please note that a lot of so called "Kiln Dried Wood" is simply heat treated to kill any bugs and allow interstate transport and not to dry the wood to the proper internal moisture spec required by today's stoves (less than 20%- 12-18 is ideal). Your only defense here is a moisture meter from any of the box stores, resplitting a split and checking its internal moisture content after the split has warmed up to room temperature. Also note that that Bundel ( .75 cf) at $3.99 when multiplied out to a full cord is $680.xx dollars. Which is likely at least double any supplier in your area

Reactions: Wickets
It does sound like the chimney is too short to establish good draft. As a test you could buy a 4' length of cheap 6"round air duct, remove the chimney cap, and put the duct pipe crimp down into the chimney. Do this on a non-windy day. Then try the stove. If there is a major improvement you will need to add some chimney and a brace for the chimney at the 5 ft level.

For the OAK. It is required on mobile installations. Here is another test. Assuming that the air control is wide open, try more kindling for starting, allowing the pieces to criss-cross so that plenty of air can circulated around the starting fire. Then open a nearby window about 1/2". See if the fire perks up when the window is opened. If there is a notable improvement then an OAK will make this improvement permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.