New T6 going strong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowtime

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2007
northern BC
Well I finally got some pics of our new T6. Thanks to everyone here we made the right choice. Its cool here now and we are lighting a small fire in the morning to take the chill off. Just 2-7" splits, 2 crumpled news sheets and a generous amount of kindling and this stove lights right up and stays warm surprisingly long for such a small amount of wood. As we are snowed in most years we wanted a low maintenance, reliable easy to start stove. I really like the option of NS or EW loading.
The snow gets deep here so I do not want to go on the roof in winter to check the pipe and the DW doesn't want any cleaning in main living area. With that being the case I installed 2 ceiling support brackets. One just above the main ceiling and another where it passes from the upstairs through the roof. The lower one is on blocks [very secure] and when I need to clean the chimney I simply release the class A clamps and lower the chimney 6' by pulling the blocks. This way I can clean down toward the stove and the pipe upwards is also clear to clean. All this is possible because of the telescoping double wall over the stove. To put it back together is simple. I just put the 5' of class A thats been taken out back and then I use a small chain hoist to lift it all back in place. Only thing left is to reattach the clamps and put the blocks back underneath. This is all enclosed in its own small room upstairs so the mess is very controllable. Total chimney height is 22'
We have been 100% wood for around 37 years and have used and still have lots of other stoves in greenhouses, kitchen etc. This is our first EPA stove and so far we love it. Mind you the first time I lit it up I used the top down method and my DW who did not research this thought I was crazy as we have lit fires for decades and she had never thought of this methodIt worked like a charm who says "old dogs can't learn new tricks.

Attachments

• New T6 going strong
    IMG_1021.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 583
  • New T6 going strong
    IMG_1020.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 523
That is a gorgeous installation and house. Congrats. And welcome to the world of top down. The pipe is gonna love ya for it.

Congrats and an excellent choice. Made right here in BC. I know about the snow up there. got a sister living in Ft.St. James and only went for 2 visits-one in the summer, got eaten alive by the damn bugs, and another visit in the winter, where it was so cold that even walking at a fast pace would cause your lungs to freeze. My hats off to you who can tolerate that kind of extremes.

snowtime said:
Well I finally got some pics of our new T6. Thanks to everyone here we made the right choice. Its cool here now and we are lighting a small fire in the morning to take the chill off. Just 2-7" splits, 2 crumpled news sheets and a generous amount of kindling and this stove lights right up and stays warm surprisingly long for such a small amount of wood. As we are snowed in most years we wanted a low maintenance, reliable easy to start stove. I really like the option of NS or EW loading.
The snow gets deep here so I do not want to go on the roof in winter to check the pipe and the DW doesn't want any cleaning in main living area. With that being the case I installed 2 ceiling support brackets. One just above the main ceiling and another where it passes from the upstairs through the roof. The lower one is on blocks [very secure] and when I need to clean the chimney I simply release the class A clamps and lower the chimney 6' by pulling the blocks. This way I can clean down toward the stove and the pipe upwards is also clear to clean. All this is possible because of the telescoping double wall over the stove. To put it back together is simple. I just put the 5' of class A thats been taken out back and then I use a small chain hoist to lift it all back in place. Only thing left is to reattach the clamps and put the blocks back underneath. This is all enclosed in its own small room upstairs so the mess is very controllable. Total chimney height is 22'
We have been 100% wood for around 37 years and have used and still have lots of other stoves in greenhouses, kitchen etc. This is our first EPA stove and so far we love it. Mind you the first time I lit it up I used the top down method and my DW who did not research this thought I was crazy as we have lit fires for decades and she had never thought of this methodIt worked like a charm who says "old dogs can't learn new tricks.

If you think your going to make me a bit envious with that beautiful picture of that exquisite interior of the your log cabin topped off with that masterpiece centered in that room roaring with a blazing fire in all its splendor and glory then you are quite simply crazy.............................AWWW OK you win!!! Job well done.

Great choice snowtime. The stove and setting look beautiful. I can almost feel the warmth from your pictures.

Are you located in interior BC or on the coast? It looks like you and I are on opposite extremes for climate. It will be interesting to compare T6 notes between our moderate and your extreme heating conditions. I suspect you'll have a lot more opportunities to run her wide open than I will.

Thanks for all the compliments. My wife and I built the home from scratch. From mixing the cement for a full basement to logging our own forest for the perfect logs all the way to that last coat of varnish. I have got a good partner.
We are right on the divide between coastal and northern weather influences. In the past we have had 5 or 6 weeks of -40 to -50 but times have changed and we seldom get more than a few days of serious cold now. Of course most down south will think it's still pretty cold. With our experience we have seriously insulated this home. So I expect the T6 to have no trouble keeping us toasty.

My compliments to you and your wife. Your home is a reflection of the beauty of your relationship. I'd love to hear more about how you built the home and the methods used to deal with extreme cold. As fuel prices soar, even us down southers can learn from your experience. On a side note, besides thriving in very cold winters, how do you earn a living far up north?

Wow, incredibly pretty setup. I'm sure you'll enjoy it this winter.

Snowtime! That is beautifull! The house is great, and to hear about building it yourself is even more intriguing!

I had to go in the garage and look at my crated T6 after this post.

sigh

d.n.f. said:
I had to go in the garage and look at my crated T6 after this post. sigh

When's that crane comin', dnf?

Snowtime, that's just a beautiful setup all the way around. Rick

Nice work

Boom truck comes when they have a delivery out my way. From a local building supply company. Otherwise they have to charge me three hours of truck time as opposed to one hour.

So I wait.

I haven't even built a hearth yet so no rush.

As for what someone does for a living up here I am a retired guide. Now my DW and I just go fishing together. As for hunting we do not even have to leave our front yard for Moose etc. In the winter the Moose winter right near the house. They get stuck in the deep snow and stay by the willow patches on the river below the house. We have no near neighbors in fact I think the nearest is 25 towards the nearest town. We are surrounded by crown land. Makes for a peaceful life.

snowtime said:
As for what someone does for a living up here I am a retired guide. Now my DW and I just go fishing together. As for hunting we do not even have to leave our front yard for Moose etc. In the winter the Moose winter right near the house. They get stuck in the deep snow and stay by the willow patches on the river below the house. We have no near neighbors in fact I think the nearest is 25 towards the nearest town. We are surrounded by crown land. Makes for a peaceful life.

Wow, a beautiful home, kick ass stove, & a heck of a wife.
And an ideal place to share your life with the one you love.
What more could anyone ask for?
Keep up the good work.
doug

snowtime said:

I think for the next couple of months you could make a fortune exporting moose burger to the States.

BrotherBart said:
I think for the next couple of months you could make a fortune exporting moose burger to the States.

Let's hope it's only for the next few months.

snowtime said:

I respect what you and your wife have done and the life you chosen to retire to. There aren't many folks left as independent as you. Though I'm totally amazed you have internet.

It's all satellite up here. We often are amazed that we are so far out and have great TV and Internet. Of course the back of the house has 4 dishes on it. This is all since 85 before that we didn't have any TV as there are no over the air signals up here. Thats why you see books in my pics. That is just a small sampling of our library. In the 70s and early 80s the biggest excitement to get out in the spring after the roads are open was to make the 5 hour drive to a large bookstore to replenish our library.

Wow, what a change in lifestyle. Welcome to the wired and wireless world. Don't give up on the library, books are still very valuable forms of communication and education.

Hey Snowtime,
Congrats on your new stove. If you are near any really good skiing, then you may truly be living in my dream home! Regardless, you got it good, my friend.
Be well.

Yup Manny we are big cross country skiers. We usually ski on the river and creeks after freeze up. We try to keep some trails open all winter but the local Wolf pack likes to use them for a highway.

Don't you just hate it when the tourists ruin a perfectly good spot? Wolves no less. They should go back to Hollywood. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.