New to coyotes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an old farm surrounded by lots and lots of farm land that grows stuff like corn and beans. If the cats are away the mice will play. I don't see cats in the ditches anymore, I don't see squirrels, or rabbits or fox, but I see alot of those GD coyotes. At night you can hear packs "talking" to one another across the open fields. I haven't been able to keep a farm cat around for 3 years until this friendly little black thing "showed up" at my door step. It adapted to my dogs (thats a task in itself), it adapted to the outdoors, was a heck of a mouser and rarely (if at all) left my property. Two weeks ago, it didn't have to leave my property - the yotes came to it.

I got NO love for the yotes.

In the 115 years that my family has owned this land, I have never heard of any of the old timers or in the many years that I have been here, anybody talking about the large population of yotes that are around today.

Black snakes the size of anacondas, turtles that stopped the tiny creek, owls, deer, the old farm dog that killed two badgers in one year - ya, I have heard those stories. Yotes - never. I am sure they have always been around, but not like now.

Yup- even in my parents suburban neighborhood they have them now. Of course they have deer and turkey too- which I NEVER saw in all my years in the woods right down the street from them as a kid. Populations of many critters has rebounded in a big way- that doesn't mean they're not native, of course. We have several times more deer now than when Columbus first landed.

Jags, lee, others that kill 'em;

Do you guys take the pelts or the meat?

Is the meat at all edible?

karri0n said:

The pelts are not worth anything around here and I am not overly fond of dog (at least the one time I had it overseas). So NO is the answer to both, in my case.

I am sure it is edible, but so is skunk. :sick:

I would just hate to waste anything that I killed.

Maybe feed the meat to the cats(how's that for irony?)

I hear em in the woods around my area, but there's plenty of food for them. Many more of my cats have been killed by man at 50+ MPH(at least two, probably more like 3-4) than coyotes.

I saw one in the yard once, standing less than 5' from one of the cats. The coyote didn't go after the cat, and the cat didn't seem at all threatened by its presence. The cats were much more threatened when we had a turkey vulture sitting on our roof.

karri0n said:
I would just hate to waste anything that I killed.

Maybe feed the meat to the cats(how's that for irony?)

None left.

Trust me, between the turkey vultures, hawks, eagles, crows, and other scavengers, it doesn't just lay there.

karri0n said:
Maybe I'd feed the meat to the cats(how's that for irony?)

fixed.

karri0n said:
karri0n said:
Maybe I'd feed the meat to the cats(how's that for irony?)

fixed.

And maybe I would consider that if I had any cats left. I don't.

Well, If they started coming around and going after the cats, I'd do the same thing as you.

karri0n said:

My sister's husband is working on a coyote pelt for my sister . . . her newest hobby is taking pelts and making hats and mittens out of them . . . and I have to confess after seeing how warm the mittens were I've asked her for a pair of fur mittens to use while snowmobiling.

Adios Pantalones said:
I feel for the ferals in my neighborhood- always seeing kittens out and getting hit by cars etc. Surpirised bthat they survive the winter

Same here! We often have substantial snow, and the winter lows are well below zero and with nobody around putting out food I'm amazed to see a couple of the same feral cats year after year. My dog treed one a couple years ago and it patiently sat about 50' up in the tree all day watching us go about our business. Next morning it was gone. Glad it got away without conflict with the dog. That's gotta be one tough cat.

Sorry where it offends, but the animals got to remember who's boss. Boss says you can have your own space, make all the noise ya want. But you gotta leave the Boss's stuff alone. That includes people and animals that the Boss owns. But if yer a solitary kyote', you prolly ought to be more scared of my dawg than my shotgun. He's less than a year old, but he's pushin 80# already and I think once he realizes you aint friendly, he's gonna get really ugly. Me, on the other hand, am already ugly. But my aim sucks. But you will be suprised how I can empty that Mossberg :lol:

raven said:
........lol this is an interesting post.I have to wonder about Lees coyote population, there must be a dam good boom in some other population to support it. I have a dam good population of coyotes in my area and enjoy it.I do have one groan about em though, i also have a big population of cats gone wild, dont get me wrong i like cats and have my own but cats are killin machines. i keep waiting for a few of them to be thinned by the coyotes .... hasent happened yet. so i hope they get off there azzz and start takin a few soon. LEE you sound like a guy who is really into the wild life around you. You hunt and trap coyotes, I have to think that without those coyotes your hunting and trapping would be a little less. They are wild and they do have a place in that wild life that surrounds us. It has always been easy to paint the predator as a murdering monster that needs to go . sorry to say it but .... its bull chit always has been and always will be........lol to the original poster thanks i have enjoyed reading this one

Let me rephrase something I said in a previous post. Yes they are murderers as they do kill just to kill and they do need to go (thinned out) in my area.Not bullshit but fact. I have seen many a deer kill with just puncture wounds and minimal flesh removed only to return a few weeks later to find the kill further untouched . They do serve a purpose by ridding of carrion which there is alot of here. But when they enter barns and kill confined cattle or dogs posing no harm and not eat it there lies a problem. I'm not to far from you and collared reasearch coyotes from my area have been traced to the Cleveland area. Would you have liked the 1800 + that have been taken the last 6 years from this area to have bred to the point of running out of sustainable food and moving to your area to breed and reproduce. If 30% of the take were female and they each had 4 surviving pups each year that amounts to 14,400 coyotes not including the base breeding population of 70% female and 30% male which can't be calculated because we don't know whats left at the end of season. You probably didn't know the take was only 30 % female did you. The males do the most traveling ,hunting and when threatened draw the threat away from existing females. I have seen as many as 13 pups being carried by a female so my figures are probably low. Do the math and figure a large carrion food supply here and you have a recipe for disaster if the population is not controlled.

exactLEE said:
They do serve a purpose by ridding of carrion which there is alot of here.

What you got against karrion? :mad:

karri0n said:
exactLEE said:
They do serve a purpose by ridding of carrion which there is alot of here.

What you got against karrion? :mad:

Pests - the whole lot of them. :lol:

........LEE i have hunted and fished all my life and i dont take it lightly.I have a great respect for the game i take and all the others that are in the chain. Idont have any problem thinning an over population of coyotes. I also understand that government agencies can screw up royal. Here in Ohio there are park areas that have a heavy deer herd, instead of letting bow hunters thin the heard they bring in sharp shooters and it just pisses me off to no end. Ill say it again we have a history of labeling wild life as murdering
monsters , its always been an easy painting.Fewer and fewer people learn to hunt and learn about whats out doors through experience. So for those who do care about and understand and enjoy the wild life that surrounds us on this here big blue planet using terms like murdering when referring to any wild life is painting a picture....abstract.... where i think in this day and age a dam photo is more what is needed.so painting any animal out to be a low life murdering beast from hell is....BULLSHIT. I am interested in that yote that traveled from ohio to your neck of the woods though ,do you have any idea of the time frame from when it was collard to when it was taken?And one more thing...when kerrion asked whether anyone ate coyote meat do ya think he had motives ...like a local chines restaurant ? ;-)

Astrolopitec said:
I'm used to wolfs and black bears around my cottage. But this year we got coyotes for the first time.

Coyotes are great! How do you think my friend Carlos got here?

exactLEE said:
Here is the article about the coyote that traveled from my area to Cleveland.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090218/NEWS02/302189956

I'd like to see the article about government sharpshooters and any of your personal evidence you might have backing up your BS theory.

Lee,

I'm not from the same area he is but I can tell you that the folks down here have brought in sharpshooters in a couple of local parks to thin the deer herd instead of letting hunters in to do it.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/stor...g-Deer-In-Mt-Airy/zd0AIOIKrkqaX3gqOAOE1g.cspx

This year it seems that they did let some hunters into the same park however. I haven't heard how successful they were.

round here coyotes are becoming a problem in some areas. you can now go and register at the municipal office and then go and hunt them. if you then bring back 4 paws to the municipal office they give you $20-25 bucks. on a side note it is also legal to shoot any dog that comes on your property, i have a few nieghbors that have done this before which bugs my wife to no end but they don't want dogs chasing their cattle through fence lines.

FWIW, I discussed the dangers of coyotes with a professor at OSU a few years ago because my dogs had occasion to play tag with coyote pups when we were living in Indiana. Apparently there are two types of coyotes, Eastern and Western with the Eastern coyote being about twice the size but less aggressive than their west coast cousin ;-) From what I understand, they are not likely to put themselves into a position where they could be hurt in an altercation with any person or other animal as they are not as likely to survive in the wild when injured.

When given a choice, they will hunt mice, rabbits, etc. so they'll be attracted into areas of human habitat if that habitat provides a food source for mice like garbage, bird feeders and outside dog and cat food bowls. It doesn't take long for them to figure out that garbage and dog food is easy pickin's (grin) so if you're seeing more of them than usual, it might be because someone in your neighborhood is making it a great place to visit. If that's the case, by removing the food attractions, you'll likely to see them less often.

Also, if the pack in your area is benign and is hunted or trapped out, they will most likely be replaced by another pack and the new pack may not be so easy to live with. I never found them to be an animal to be feared anymore than I would be afraid of a fox though I'm sure I'd have a different opinion if I kept any sort of livestock.... or wee little dogs that resemble bedroom slippers.

Another freindly reminder, coyotes with rabies have no fear and will attack anything.

It's no theory. Sharpshooters are a very common method for deer herd thinning- especially in populated areas. Very common on the east coast (Jersey, etc).

As a bowhunter, it annoys the hell out of me- they pay sharpshooters a lot of tax money, rather than the money the bowhunter would pump into the economy.

exactLEE said:
Here is the article about the coyote that traveled from my area to Cleveland.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090218/NEWS02/302189956

I'd like to see the article about government sharpshooters and any of your personal evidence you might have backing up your BS theory.

BS theory is Ravens idea of "painting coyotes as murderous killers". Links I posted and evidence I've seen pretty much prove they do kill just to kill. Google will find thousands of others.
Don't doubt sharpshooters, just wanted to read the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.