New to forum, Hello! Converting a Jotul cat to non catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
spacecase said:
Well it seems to me if this stove can heat a 2,000 square foot house with the cat it should be able to heat a 200 square foot house with out it. I really do appreciate every ones advice, I think a little VT castings or small Jotul would be perfect but I lost my job (printing business has been eradicated now). Vermont is a very hard place to live but it makes us strong. I definitively can't do things by the book anymore things have changed so much, I think this is what my project is ultimately about.

Sorry to read of your situation SC.. I was in the printing business 17 years (company started as Rand McNally and was Quebecor when I left which was an awful company).. Very tough business as there is too many printers for too little work hence no profits.. I will keep my eyes peeled in Craigslist as they have free stoves or very low cost on occasion.. I recently sold my CDW but would have given it to you at one point and it was in good shape.. Perhaps someone here has one that's in OK shape for low to no money.. Good luck to you and yes Vermonters are a strong independant breed!

Ray

Thanks fellow pyro extraordinaire, yes most likely not good field to be in these days. So I got the Jotul going and have been just running it in the bypass mode. Seems to put off way more heat than I was expecting. I put everything back together and think the design is not as good as a Vermont Castings, just not that robust. I guess people like them because they look pretty. The fiberglass gaskets are in great shape but I did notice a little smoke coming from the top lid, it just sits there held in place by gravity. The house seems to collect a bit of smoke because of this. I was wondering if anyone else had this type of issue. I was thinking of using some 2000 degree furnace caulk you can get at home depot. Seems the gaskets should do the job so I think I may wait on that one and recheck seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.