new to hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lookin4heat

Jan 19, 2010
long island, ny
Greeting, I'm new to the site and looking for some advice on a decent way to add heat to my home. I currently live in a 3700 sf center hall colonial with two fireplaces. The fireplace downstairs is a masonry fireplace, the one upstairs zero clearance pre-fab. The masonry fireplace is large enough to accomodate just about any insert. My wife and I were looking for a flush wood insert that is going to put out some SERIOUS HEAT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy. Go with a 3 cu ft insert that fits. Style will depend on owner's choice. Classic style would be like a Jotul C550 Rockland, modern would be like a Hearthstone Clydesdale.

lookin4heat said:
Greeting, I'm new to the site and looking for some advice on a decent way to add heat to my home. I currently live in a 3700 sf center hall colonial with two fireplaces. The fireplace downstairs is a masonry fireplace, the one upstairs zero clearance pre-fab. The masonry fireplace is large enough to accomodate just about any insert. My wife and I were looking for a flush wood insert that is going to put out some SERIOUS HEAT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pacific Energy Summit Insert

Lots of heat.

Long burn times.

Easy to operate.

lookin4heat said:
Thanks for the reply, What is your take on pellet inserts ? Are there any that are comparable to the inserts you listed ?

If you have neither the time, energy nor inclination to cut, split and stack firewood then pellet inserts are great.

However, If I had neither the time, energy nor inclination for fire wood I'd probably skip right passed pellets and right to a gas insert.

Gas is not an option its unavailable where we live. Its definetely wood or pellets. As far as doing the work I don't mind at all. I'll cut down a full grown Redwood with a hacksaw if it will save us some money over heating with oil

lookin4heat said:
Gas is not an option its unavailable where we live. Its definetely wood or pellets. As far as doing the work I don't mind at all. I'll cut down a full grown Redwood with a hacksaw if it will save us some money over heating with oil

If you can get wood free or cheap, that's the best way to save money

If you have to pay full retail then I'd go with pellets simply because it's cleaner and less work

Also, if you go with wood forget about burning this year and focus on getting next years wood split/stacked and under cover

We moved in about a year ago. The previous home owner left a lot of cut wood, it's just not covered. I purchased a firewood rack from Lowes and plan on stacking it under a covered patio. Hopefully by next winter we'll have a good amount of seasoned wood

lookin4heat said:
I'll cut down a full grown Redwood with a hacksaw if it will save us some money over heating with oil

:lol: :lol: Now THATS Hardcore! :cheese:

Edit: Oh - and welcome to the forum.

Just a thought, but have you considered that maybe you can't afford this McMansion you are living in? Perhaps its time to seriously consider an exit strategy. I shutter to think of the bill from oil heat on a place like that, completely and totally unacceptable way to heat that place unless you're Al Gore :)

If you are willing to do the work, a woodstove will help a lot, personally I'd opt for a freestanding stove and run a liner from it into the existing chimneys. You will get more heat from a freestanding stove. But the inserts are pretty good too. If you are going to buy wood, get it a year in advance, you should buy right now for next year! In the meantime, you can work on building a nice place to store said wood. You are probably going to want more than one wood rack from Lowe's.

3700 sq ft I wouldn't even consider an insert or stove, I'd be looking into wood furnace.

lookin4heat said:

Are you certain that pellets would cost less in your area? Best to run the numbers first. That's a lot of sq ftg. to heat regardless of fuel. Perhaps one option would be to shut down part of the house for the winter before pulling out the hacksaw?

I have a Hampton bump out insert. I use it so supplement the oil and so far its been great. Mine is small for your house. You can put vents in the floor to get it going upstairs. You are going to need dry wood and a insert that puts out enough heat but not so you can not sit in the room with it. I have 1800sq ft. My insert covers 1900, the stove guy recommended the next size up. I wish I had listened. Bigger box for l longer burn and maybe a little more heat. Otherwise I love it.

we also have a a zero clearance pre-fab fireplace in our bedroom. We we hoping that we would be able to place something there that is efficient and delivers some MEAN heat. Our bedroom is large 40 ft x 24 ft with cathedral ceiling. If we can have a wood insert downstairs and something upstairs that would be great but, Its our understanding that when dealing with a pre-fab we don't have many options

lookin4heat said:
we also have a a zero clearance pre-fab fireplace in our bedroom. We we hoping that we would be able to place something there that is efficient and delivers some MEAN heat. Our bedroom is large 40 ft x 24 ft with cathedral ceiling. If we can have a wood insert downstairs and something upstairs that would be great but, Its our understanding that when dealing with a pre-fab we don't have many options

You will have to check with your local codes to see what your options are for the bedroom fireplace.

That bedroom is almost as large as the footprint of our house. :wow:

To pay for the heat, maybe convert the master bedroom into an apartment and charge rent?

lookin4heat said:
large home with an even larger oil bill. the oil company LOVES us

Throw up a floor plan for us.

But, realistically, with that size home, you will need at least two huge stoves/inserts if you have an open floor plan. A wood furnace would probably be the easiest way to go...

NZ6000.jpg

http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Fireplaces/Fireplaces_wood/nz6000.html

Brochure:
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Brochures/WoodBurning.pdf

Supposedly heat over 3,000 sq ft. It is flush mount. Huge fire box. Long burn times. Ask around here, I'm sure someone has one.

nice looking fireplace I looked at the review section there were two #1 loves it stated its a great fireplace great heat too much at times #2 hates it states its very inefficient, does not heat if there is anyone out there thats familiar with the Napoleon nz6000 some input would be greatly appreciated. thanks for links/info

Status
Not open for further replies.